Author Topic: olive oil  (Read 8144 times)

Offline raoul duke

Re: olive oil
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 10:22:29 PM »
The USDA is currently revising the standards for grading olive oils.  This will be in tandem with the current guidelines utilized in Europe.  An intregal part of olive oil assessment is taste.  California requires laboratory standards be met as well as a taste test to qualify as extra virgin olive oil.  These tasters are certified by the IOC.  University of Californai at Davis has the leading program for olive oil in the US and will soon be providing an in depth analysis of oils for growers/producers. They have a great newsletter that can be accessed via their website.The statement (bullsh*t) made above that many california oils blend Spanish and Italian oils constitues an extremely small segment of the producers, if any.  California oil is coming into it's own and regulation will make it harder to dump old, sub-optimal, overgraded oil on the "new world". Yeah I'm a grower/producer and make a solid pizza in a wood oven.

Offline manperson

Re: olive oil
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 06:36:42 PM »
I've tried both methods.

With olive oil: Easier to stretch, dough feels... "right"... Tastes better in some cases. But, limit your olive oil to... 1-1.5 tbsp per cup of flour. I think that's a fair estimate.

Without olive oil: Difficult to manage, tears easily. Lacks a bit of flavor.

Now that I've typed all of that out, decide for yourself. A small bowl of dough is a small price to pay for more data. And, most homemade pizza is orders of magnitude better than chain stuff.

pizzapan