Author Topic: GM's All Trumps vs Sam's Club Baker's and Chef's HG flour  (Read 4392 times)

Online scott123

Re: GM's All Trumps vs Sam's Club Baker's and Chef's HG flour
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 11:01:44 AM »
~.6% yeast 3H room temp proof produces an anemic crumb.  A confirmed, seriously underfermented crust. Nice!  ;D

I've never tried it, but I think if I did a 3H room temp at .6%, it would be as if I hadn't used any yeast at all. Well, maybe the 85 degree room temp I have now might produce something, but not the typical 70ish room temp that I normally work with.

What's your typical room temp these days?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 11:40:40 AM »
Well here's the weird thing Scott.  Remember that pie that I made that I said blew away All my other pies?  That one was made with SC HG flour and it had ~0.6% ADY but total fermentation time was around 3.5 to 4 hours.  It was closer to 3.5H I think, so this one caught me off guard as i thought 3 H would/should have been sufficient.  I do recall this dough looking a bit weak/limp prior to stretching though so now I getting better at watching for signs of when the dough is ready.

I was really impress that the AT's pies didn't overferment given the amount of ADY and my history.  Now about overfermentation.  I think I have become a bit gun shy after overfermenting a few pies and burning a few pies.  I think it's very possible I was wrongly attributing some of the burning issues to overfermentation when it was just simply baking at too high of temps for a HG flour. 

My kitchen is typically at 76F day or night.  That's nice that it's one less variable i have to contend with.

Chau

Online scott123

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 12:40:15 PM »
I get a strong feeling that not only is SC HG lower in protein that AT, but has a lower falling value/is higher in enzyme activity as well.  That would partly explain the accelerated fermentation.

But, yes, HG flours really have issues at Neapolitan flour temps.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 12:53:08 PM »
I get a strong feeling that not only is SC HG lower in protein that AT, but has a lower falling value/is higher in enzyme activity as well.  That would partly explain the accelerated fermentation.

But, yes, HG flours really have issues at Neapolitan flour temps.

Scott, lower falling value and higher enzyme activity is beyond me at this point.  :P
So is it true that yeast works faster or slower depending on protein content? or maybe has a bigger effect on lower protein flours?

Would a 0.5% yeast create more dough rise during proofing in an AP flour compare to a HG flour?  Does this translate into any real world difference?  Does a baker or pie maker need to even be concern with this?

Thanks,
Chau

Offline Mark315

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 05:50:53 PM »
I'm a newbie. I have been experimenting with All Trumps and noticed there is no mention of adding any oil
to your mix. Do you add oil?
Thanks- Mark

Online scott123

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 06:29:39 PM »
I add oil.  For a classic bromated NY style dough, I think oil is the norm- 1 or 2 percent.