Author Topic: Finally, My WFO is Underway  (Read 20590 times)

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
Re: Finally, My WFO is Underway
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2011, 12:22:18 PM »
Knowing I was about to tear my chimney out, I decided to have one last bake before the work begins. These are from yesterday. The work began this morning.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2011, 12:23:37 PM »
More

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2011, 02:43:50 PM »
Steve, I used the Metalbest Ultra-Temp double wall insulated chimney pipe, and I was very happy with the quality. These guys had the best price http://www.class-a-chimneys.com/

Why couldn't you set the first chimney pipe section directly into cement?

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2011, 02:47:39 PM »
One thing about the Metalbest that I really liked is that in addition to the twist-lock, they also include a collar you tighten down over the joint between pipe sections. The connection is very rigid.

How tall will the chimney be?

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2011, 04:04:48 PM »
One thing about the Metalbest that I really liked is that in addition to the twist-lock, they also include a collar you tighten down over the joint between pipe sections. The connection is very rigid.

How tall will the chimney be?

CL

Thanks for the info but I already ordered the chimney from FB. It should be here tomorrow. Too bad because it sure looks like Metal best has better prices, though it also looks like everything I need is out of stock.

Huh, I never even thought about cementing the pipe right in.

It's just one 36" section plus an 8" rise from the manifold I'm casting. It'll end up about a foot above the roof peak.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 04:12:41 PM by Ev »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2011, 11:35:52 AM »
Steve,

Your pies from your recent bake look delicious!  ;D  Since I have been to your home before. and have tasted some of the formulas you have used. and also watched at what bake temperatures you had been trying, I wanted to ask you a few questions.

Did you lower the baked temperatures for your recent bake?  If I remember correctly, the bake temperatures the last time I was at your home were around the range of 840-880 degrees F.  Are you finding you like lower or higher bake temperatures in your WFO.  I know at first you had started baking pies around 900-1,000 degree F. Also what formula and workflow method did you use for your recent pies?  I guess you did use Pizzeria flour, like you normally do when you mix dough for your WFO.   Did these recent pies have a moister and tender rim, than other formulas or bake times you have tried?

Sorry to be asking all the questions.  :-D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2011, 09:40:52 AM »
After a weekend detour to Wildwood and a visit to Macks Pizza, I finally got to pour my chimney manifold this morning. I'll leave the form on til tomorrow morning and let it cure the rest of the week. Then I'll start building small fires again to heat cure. It's kind of like curing the whole oven all over again, driving the moisture out slowly. I need it usable by July 23 for a 50 person party, but at least now I'll be able to work on the enclosure.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2011, 06:51:21 AM »
I got another nice chunk of work done in the last few days. New chimney, insulation, vermicrete, framing and siding. On now, to the roof. I'm actually still undecided on exactly what to do. I've noticed on Craigslist, there always seems to be used slate shingles for sale, pretty reasonably priced. That's probably what I'm leaning toward.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2011, 06:54:00 AM »
more
Those brown spots are deer in the field out back.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 06:55:43 AM by Ev »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2011, 07:14:23 AM »
Good progress and really nice work Steve.  What material did you use on top of the vermicrete around the lower half of the chimney?

Chau

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2011, 07:29:05 AM »
Thanks Chau.
That is the vermicrete. No photo, but I did add a layer of stucco base over the vermicrete for stability, because it is kind of crumbly.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2011, 07:57:29 AM »
Thanks Steve.  In reply #87, pictures 3 & 4, you show 2 different materials.  Some tan colored material and then a sandy grayish material.  Just wondering what the tan colored stuff is.  Is that the vermicrete or the grayish stuff?

It looks like you have the grayish material sandwiched between a top and bottom layer of the tan stuff.  Is that correct?  Apologies for being so clueless here.

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2011, 08:50:36 AM »
Thanks Steve.  In reply #87, pictures 3 & 4, you show 2 different materials.  Some tan colored material and then a sandy grayish material.  Just wondering what the tan colored stuff is.  Is that the vermicrete or the grayish stuff?

It looks like you have the grayish material sandwiched between a top and bottom layer of the tan stuff.  Is that correct?  Apologies for being so clueless here.

The tan stuff is fire rated insulation.
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2011, 08:57:25 AM »
I can't afford a new 'Vette, so I guess this will be my "mid-life crisis" project.

I was cracking up when I read this thread about this being your "mid-life crisis" project...

This is what I got for my "mid-life crisis" project....
Digging holes is very therapeutic but a WFO looks like a project for me in the future!!!
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2011, 12:12:16 PM »
Chau,
 The tan stuff is thermafiber(aka rock wool and rotten cotton) insulation, over the new chimney manifold casting. The next shot is the same area, opposite side of the oven, covered with about a two inch layer of vermicrete. Not pictured is the same area, further coated with a layer of stucco base, as is the rest of the dome. The vermicrete only covers the vent area. The rest of the chimney is surrounded with only thermafiber.

Goose,
 Nice tractor! I have a Kubota ballcap that I picked up at a yard sale for a quarter. :P
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:18:30 PM by Ev »

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2011, 10:11:46 AM »
I finished all the framing this morning. Now I'm ready for the roof, however, I still haven't decided what to use . I'll get the plywood up tomorrow, no matter what.
 I've decided to use two sections of the cast iron on each side. I think they look better in pairs.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
I've gotten some more work done recently. I finally decided to go with shingles on the roof instead of slate. I also got the stucco finished and the chimney complete. I had to extend the outer arch to accommodate the thickness of the stucco. I added a 1.5" piece of brick all the way around. I cut a notch on every mortar joint side to help lock them in place.
 So far, the copper chimney cover is the only thing I didn't build myself. Next, on to the woodwork. I'm still thinking about the landing/counter. Probably granite, if I can afford it.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2011, 03:21:11 PM »
That's pretty sweet, Steve.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2011, 02:10:49 PM »
Thanks Craig

Offline Ev