Author Topic: Best method for storing canned tomato sauces and paste  (Read 7983 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Best method for storing canned tomato sauces and paste
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 04:54:51 PM »
Do you think it would make a difference if you crushed/ground/pureed the tomatoes before freezing, vs. doing it after thawing?

I forgot to mention that I did do this as well, and it appeared to be more watery than before but it is hard to measure how much "extra" liquid was release.

If my preference is to use whole peeled tomatoes, I would personally buy them in smaller cans and use them when I opened them.  If my preference is sauce or paste, then I would purchase the big cans and freeze the extra.  I think you can freeze whole peeled tomatoes with passable results but it doesn't seem ideal.

I think that if I had crushed them AND strained them to have a thick sauce, then freeze the sauce I would still end up with a more watery sauce after thawing. 

Chau

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 12:10:50 AM »
Opened up a big can of the Stanilaus Saporito Super heavy with Basil Pizza Sauce tonight.

Ingredients:  Vine ripened fresh tomatoes, salt, dehydrated basil, and naturally derived citric acid. 

This heavy pizza sauce is very similar to their SuperDolce pizza sauce.

Similarities:
-Very thick and heavy paste.  Maybe a little bit thicker than the SD.
-Sweet and strong tomatoe taste but not as sweet as SD.
-requires dilution of at least 1:1 if not 2:1 parts water to paste to make a usuable sauce.
-Can use as is or spice to your preference
-Value for the $
-High quality tomatoe sauce/paste

Differences to the SuperDolce:
-Not as sweet, but maybe a bit more tomatoey taste.
-A bit thicker require a bit more water to dilute.  Great value for the $.
-Didn't have as strong of a citric acid taste from what I can remember. 

I wasn't as impress or blown away as I was when I first tasted the SD.  It could be and most likely that my taste have changed a bit.   I have recently been eating sauce made from fresh tomatoes from the yard.  Even though they were as sweet they had a fresher taste.  Hard to beat that.

Also this paste/sauce (like the SD) I think is more suited for NY style pies, deep dish, making marinara sauce, and other pasta dishes.  For NP style, I think I prefer fresh tomatoes or whole peeled tomatoes. 

I think for the person trying them for the first time you will like them very much.  These are such a value as one big can will likely make at least 2-3 cans of sauce.   I think that I prefer these over the SD, b/c I can still add a bit of stevia natural sweetner to the sauce to  make it sweeter. 

Chau

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 09:29:36 AM »
Chau,

I use the Stanilaus Super Heavy with basil in combination with Stanilaus 7/11, then add spices and water.  I really like this combination.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 09:56:56 AM »
Thanks for letting me know you use their products at market Norma.   After trying this and their super dolce, there's no doubt the value and quality makes sense for a commercial setting.