Author Topic: New oven  (Read 3291 times)

brayshaw

New oven
« on: June 10, 2010, 04:45:20 AM »
So, I am a day or two away from getting my hands on a new twin deck electric oven ;D you can control the temp of the floor and ceiling in both decks and it has a max temp of 500C on both the floor and ceiling.
I will be baking straight on the deck (no screens) with a fairly highly hydrated dough (62-65%) and will be shooting for a 3-4minute bake time.....
The question I wanted to ask is what would you say is a good floor and ceiling temp to start experimenting with? I think I have read somewhere that the ceiling should be hotter than the floor but I could be wrong.

Many thanks for all the advice that I have already recieved.

Paul
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 04:55:08 AM by brayshaw »

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: New oven
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 08:22:09 AM »
Lucky you. I wish I had a real pizza oven to play with. Depending on how efficient the oven is, I would start off at 650f and work up to 700f. But again that's just my guess.

brayshaw

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 10:04:10 AM »
650F floor and ceiling?
Cheers,

Paul

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 10:08:06 AM »
I've heard the same thing about it being desireable to have a higher ceiling temp.  Can you set the ceiling temp separate from the floor? 

Sorry brady, I was just assuming that you set one temp (floor temp) at 650 and the ceiling would be hotter by virtue of heat rising. 

brayshaw

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 10:12:10 AM »
Tran,  you can set the floor and ceiling temps separate. I had heard a hotter ceiling was better too, but not sure by how much.

Paul

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 11:15:05 AM »
That's really cool!!  I would try 650 floor and 750 ceiling to start, but think your sweet spot will be 700-ish floor and 800 ceiling for 3-4min bake but again this is all conjecture.  Do let us know how it goes and post some pics. 

brayshaw

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 12:19:11 PM »
I'll give that a go mate and see how it turns out! I will also get some pics up of the stuff when it arrives and the pizzas cooking etc...

Paul

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 12:50:38 PM »
what kind of oven is this ??
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline scott123

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 12:55:06 PM »
Paul, the best hearth and ceiling temp depends on the thickness and composition of the stone. Were you able to find out if it's cordierite?

If it is thick cordierite, I'd start off with a 600 floor 750 ceiling. Better to start a little low and move up than to burn pies.

You're definitely going to want to go a little crazy with your IR thermometer.  That includes taking 15 minute interval temperatures as the oven preheats (quickly, so you don't lose much heat as you open the door), as well as measuring the amount of time it takes for the hearth and ceiling to reach the desired temps.  You'll also want to measure different areas of the oven to see if there's hot spots. Once it is preheated, you'll want to see how successful the oven is at maintaining these temps, both with and without pizzas being baked. Open the oven door for a bit (maybe 2 minutes) take the ceiling/hearth temps and see how long it takes for the oven to recover. I would also, after you're done, cut the power and see how long the stones take to cool, measuring them at half hour intervals. Make sure you document everything because you will want to refer back to these readings later. The more data you can compile now, the better off you'll be once you start using this oven in a commercial environment.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:37:02 PM by scott123 »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 03:23:09 PM »
Paul,

Maybe things are different in the UK, but I am not aware of any deck oven in the U.S. that operates at 500 degrees C.

Peter

brayshaw

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 04:16:51 PM »
Thanks for that Scott, I will check what you said. A very helpful post! Thank you.

Peter, maybe they worded the description of the oven cleverly but it definitely said 500C, but as you said, I find it very unlikely that this oven can perform at 500C.

Thanks,

Paul

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 05:16:51 PM »
Hi Paul,

like Peter i am also curious what oven is this... its very interesting, the heat management and the temps...

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 05:43:10 PM »
Andre,

I just saw this at the PMQ Think Tank: http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9051.

Peter

brayshaw

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 05:52:24 PM »
It will be very interesting to see what the oven does, some great advice from pmq and here, thanks guys.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 06:55:21 PM »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 10:27:48 PM »
I forgot the name of the brand but doesn't Jeff Varasano's oven go that high? There is a thread or a post on here somewhere showing the brand of oven Jeff uses at his pizzeria. I remember going to the site and seeing that it could hit 932F or atleast it said it could. The deck and dome heat were controlled separate as well. BTW people on PMQ are giant douche bags, I got your back Paul.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:29:27 PM by BrickStoneOven »

brayshaw

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 04:20:32 AM »
I saw that, thanks Brickstone! I really was lost for words when I saw his post this morning, I was answering pizzanerds questions and I would never be rude to anyone. I didn't even read Toms reply till today and to which I replied.
I am done with that site I think, if I have a question I want to ask at PMQ I think I will just PM Tom.
You guys here are the best.

'Cheers'.....haha

Paul
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 07:28:21 AM by brayshaw »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 10:33:40 AM »
I am done with that site I think

Paul,

You and David (BrickStoneOven) may choose to participate at the PMQ Think Tank forum or not, but my advice to you--which is the same advice I follow--is to take forums like the PMQTT as you find them. They are not there for your pleasure. They are there as adjuncts to their magazines and to get eyeballs for their advertising and subscribers for their magazines, attract advertisers, and to generate leads for articles for their magazines. They are in business to make money. They also understand that 99% of their members and visitors who visit their forums are there for essentially one purpose. They are there looking for something for nothing. In the real world, they would perhaps have to hire and pay consultants, much as they would do with doctors, lawyers, plumbers and electricians. They are also likely to leave once they get what they are looking for. Remember, most of their members are pizza operators who are running businesses and trying to survive in a lousy economy. They are not looking for a communal, social, Facebook-type of experience, although I am sure that the forums would prefer that such be the case. They are looking for advice and solutions. Under such circumstances, you are likely to get occasional riffraff who are rude and engage in offensive behavior. To control such individuals requires very close monitoring by the moderators. Even there, the few moderators of the PMQTT who try hard to control the forum will fall short of that objective, without any fault on their part, since, by and large, they are also pizza operators with full time jobs and too little time to devote to moderating the forum.

I think that the PMQTT started to deteriorate when some of their best and most respected and competent members left the forum--people like Evelyne Slomon, John Correll, and Big Dave Ostrander and other paid PMQ staff members who regularly posted on specialized aspects of running pizza businesses. When they left, the content and quality of the forum went downhill. Tom Lehmann is one of the few remaining quality persons on the dough side of the forum, and even he is devoting far less time to the forum than he once did. For forums like the PMQTT to succeed and be a viable force, they need quality content from quality, competent people, tight moderation by the moderators, and the support of the membership. In my opinion, forums are fragile enterprises. Having seen the deterioration of the PMQ and Pizza Today forums, even the best of forums are vulnerable to the same fate if things start going south.

So, my best advice is to use forums like PMQ and Pizza Today, either as a poster or a reader, to get information that is useful to you and not to get overly agitated when members are not always civil and don't always behave themselves.

Peter

brayshaw

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 10:41:25 AM »
Some good advice as usual there Peter.

I am making a big batch of dough tonight in my new mixer with a mixing method that Tom just gave me and I will get the camera out and film it so all you guys can see how it goes. Don't laugh at my stupid English accent though! lol

Have a fab weekend people.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 10:49:09 AM »
I'm looking forward to the pizza and Engrish accent.  I love the British accent!  :D

pizzapan