Author Topic: Oven Builders: How long did it take you?  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
Oven Builders: How long did it take you?
« on: March 13, 2006, 09:39:13 AM »
I just poured the slab for my wood oven yesterday (the weather was gorgeous in DC - carpe diem!).  I am going to start laying out the block base as soon as the slab is mostly cured (probably two weeks). 

Is it realistic to think that I can get the oven done by July 4?  I'm a working Dad, so I have limited weekend hours to devote to the project.  Once the days start getting longer, I'll be able to work on it during the week, as well.

Thanks,

- Fio
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Oven Builders: How long did it take you?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 09:59:29 AM »
Fio:

It took me a couple of months but I worked in spurts (carpe maņana) . No idea how many actual hours I put in but it was a lot of work, mainly to get it to look attractive. I'm sure if I ever had to do it again, it would take a fraction of the time since I had no idea what I was doing.

Please describe the oven you are building (size, materials, shape, etc.) Thanks.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
Re: Oven Builders: How long did it take you?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 10:08:59 AM »
Fio:

Please describe the oven you are building (size, materials, shape, etc.) Thanks.

Bill/SFNM

The design is based on Alan Scott's wood ovens described in his book, "The Bread Builders."

It will have a cinderblock base, solid, with no ash slot (no need when baking pizza).  The hearth will be insulated with Unifrax board.  The hearth and dome will be lined with cinderblocks, clad in concrete, and covered with vermiculite insulation.  I will probably house it in brick walls with some kind of pitched roof.

Here is a picture of the type of construction I am planning:

Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.