Author Topic: Wood Burning pizza oven  (Read 89265 times)

Offline Repguy

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Wood Burning pizza oven
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2005, 05:38:00 PM »
If you have never cooked in a Wood stone oven, how do you know that it won't do the job?  Its like WATCHING a car being driven by a bad driver and then assumming that that car doesn't handle well. 

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2005, 11:50:23 PM »
I saw the wood stone oven at Tuttabella (A VPN) in Seattle.  That thing looked like it had a garage door on it, not an oven opening.  I'm not sure how you could ever get that thing to heat up like a Napoli style oven.  They may be great ovens for normal American pizza, but not for Napoli style.

Offline Repguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2005, 09:00:20 AM »
Did you happen to notice what temp they were achieving in the oven?  At least 700f.  I would say thats hot enough to do a neo pie.  VPN thinks so.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2005, 09:22:53 AM »
I am not trying to slag woodstone ovens here, but I did notice while in Naples that the pies turned out much better at the places that had really raging fires.  You can tell by looking at the pies when they will be the better super high temp ones.  I have a laser thermometer, and have been using it to check out temps at various pizzerias, and I can most definitely tell you that the places with 700 degree floor temps were not turning out the best pies.  I didn't measure Trianon, but I can guarantee it was up in the 900 degree floor temp range.

Offline Repguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2005, 11:51:26 AM »
If you didn't measure it how do you know?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2005, 12:29:23 PM »
The ovens that I did measure in the 825 range were not nearly as packed with flames and coals.  Just standing in front of Trianon's oven 20 feet away I could feel the heat bursting at me like a gigantic hair dryer/laser beam from hell.  This was in a space where 20 feet to the side of the oven it was cool.  When looking  into the oven the floor had that wobbly look, almost as if the oven floor was moving from the visual distortion that the heat caused.  Also, Trianon had the fastest turnaround time for the pies of the places I visited, all the pies coming out in less than a minute.  I would have shot their oven, but I was only doing this at places where I could talk to the pizzaiolo first, and the guy tending the oven at Trianon spent every second in between pies restocking the wood/kindling.  I had no time to get into a convesation with him.  Trust me, it is quite obvious when looking at an oven if it is hotter than another one when you have been walking around Naples with a laser thermometer for two days assessing heat issues. I would not be surprised if that oven was above 1000 degrees.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 12:32:26 PM by scott r »

Offline Repguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2005, 12:44:02 PM »
I think it is important to also realize where oven manufactures measure their temp from.  The location of a thermocouple means alot.  If it is located up in the dome, where some manufactures do locate them, it is easy to say that the oven is 1000F.  That is where the stored energy lives and also the hottest part of the oven.  Some locate it halfway down the wall.  Others bury it one inch below the floor.  So if it is buried an inch below the floor, if it is indicating 7-800F, the actual temp will be quite higher.  So it is important to know where that temp is being measured.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2005, 01:19:56 PM »
that makes a lot of sense.  I was trying to shoot floor temps if I could get the proper angle.  As expected the higher you point on the back wall, the higher the temps would read.  These laser thermometers are only 60 dollars, and are a fun toy to boot.   Just don't point one at a LCD display............oops!!!!

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2005, 02:12:04 PM »
You probably notice also Scott that the temperatures on the floor also can vary considerably depending on where the fire is located and where you take a reading.I used my oven for the first time in more than three weeks last night and my Pizzas were a disaster!I just didn't get my oven hot enough as my wife was growing more impatient  for Dinner.I checked the floor temp and it was around 650 in the hottest spot.The top of the dome exceeded 900.The only good thing was how my abundant crop of  Tomatoes slowly dried in the oven overnight.BTW I'm up in Mass. next week so I may get to check out some of your favorite spots in the Boston area,
                                                    David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2005, 02:51:25 PM »
Another self builder that is following my advice....

He has also built a frame in cheap board to hel him shape the sandmold on which he will then build the dome...

« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 02:54:29 PM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline Repguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2005, 03:53:29 PM »
David,

My point exactly.  So in essence you could say that your oven was 900F when in reality the 650 is more realistic.  Aint semantics grand?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2005, 07:24:18 PM »
I was trying to shoot floor temps
Scott,

I would say in these very hot ovens that the floor temp has much more impact on the pizza than the ambient temp or heat radiated from the walls or fire. As long as the deck is over 800F and I have a good fire so that heat is being radiated onto the top of the pie, I really don't pay attention to the oven's thermometer whose probe is embedded in the roof of the oven. The heat from the brick below cooks the dough and the heat from the fire arcing up the sides on down onto the top cooks the toppings and colors the edge.  My experience jives with your observations: the hotter the oven, the better the pie. And it is so very easy to overcook. If I take it out when it "looks" done, it is probably overcooked.

Bill/SFNM

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2005, 06:55:14 PM »
The second guy progression:

Offline Forno Napoletano

• The only oven choice to make Pizza Napoletana
    • Forno Napoletano- Wood Burning Brick Ovens
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2005, 02:50:47 PM »
Interesting post.

However it is important to point out that the materials and techniques of building a professional Neapolitan oven are the most important thing for its performance.

We, for example, only use the best traditional materials and technique passed on for centuries..

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2005, 03:34:09 PM »
Interesting post.

However it is important to point out that the materials and techniques of building a professional Neapolitan oven are the most important thing for its performance.

We, for example, only use the best traditional materials and technique passed on for centuries..

Who are "WE"? What is the address / name of your company?
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Forno Napoletano

« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2005, 05:19:28 PM »
We are a team of 3, including the master oven builder with 30 years of experience.

This is our website, still Under Construction

www.forno-napoletano.com

Offline Forno Napoletano

« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2005, 06:33:05 AM »
This is an oven that needs the final decoration (which is at customer request):

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2005, 08:13:31 PM »
I'm not too sure about the 900F floor temp.  Unless if you have the fire in the middle of the oven and then quickly move it over to the side, the temp of the floor can reach that temp.  Most of the pizzas I have done, for example a 12 inch pie that is approx 7.5 oz of dough, the floor is about 600 and the pie takes about 4 min to bake.  I don't think the wood fire oven is that touchy. if the floor is 550 or 750 you just need to watch it and turn it at the right time.

-JP-
-JP-

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2005, 11:16:43 AM »
What is the make up of the pizza you bake in 30-45 seconds?  I have seen pita bread made very fast in an oven, however when I was in Naples and Sorrento the pizzas were not razor thin.  I would say maybe 6-7 oz of dough for a 12 inch pizza.

-jp-
-JP-

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2005, 12:58:02 PM »
what's the size of the pizza so I can try it here.
-JP-

pizzapan