Author Topic: Wood Burning pizza oven  (Read 91538 times)

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Re: Wood Burning pizza oven
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2005, 01:36:02 PM »
about 12"

Offline artigiano

« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2005, 01:53:08 PM »
I have built a woodfired oven with a barrel shape rather than a dome.. anyway i eventually would like to build an oven for a small pizzeria i would love to own one day and came up with these dimensions what do you think.  48" diameter, 21" vault height with the cuppola being flat of course.. yes something like on forno bravo site but i would use a collapsable wooden form and not sand.  The door height would be 13"(63% of the vault height which seems standard)  and the door width to be at 20".  3" of refractory concrete with another 3 or 4" of vermiculite insulation.  I would love to share a couple fotos but I dont know how to make them smaller to put on the site.

ciao,

alessandro   aka.. AL

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2005, 07:54:24 PM »
Artigiano,

The dimension you have provided are wrong for  a pizza oven.

I also believe, as said many times in the past, that for professional use (e.g. pizzeria), you should only be considering buy a professionally made hand brick oven, such as the one Forno Napoletano illustrated.
With all the investment that owning your own pizzeria will take, saving on the oven will be the worst mistake you could make. The thing is that an oven that has to bake 100 -150 pizza a evening (and hopefully a lot more) needs to keep his characteristic constant over time, and an oven built with the wrong materials by an amateur can simply not provide... what you'll tell your paying customers when the pizza is burnt on top and raw on the bottom or viceversa?

Ciao

Offline houdina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2005, 07:20:19 PM »
Looking at the sites of companies that make ovens there are usually two styles, built in ones and ovens made on a steel stand. Is there a difference in proformance between the two? It would seem like there would be much more thermal mass with the  built in one.

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2005, 11:48:05 PM »
Pretty much how is goes is that you can get a pre-assembled oven, you just need the space to bring it in.  Also since the structure under the oven is steel it will weigh much less then an oven base made from concrete block.  Sometimes this could be an issue if your floor is elevated.  You can also have the guts (modular oven) of the pre-assembled oven and have a mason build a concrete block enclosure. Genrally the added mass from using a masonry enclosure might add a little to the heat retention of the oven, but if the oven is insulated properly then either one will work fine.
-JP-

Offline Gualtiero

• Someday....
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2005, 02:33:52 PM »
"The dimension you have provided are wrong for  a pizza oven"

Marco,

This is my first post, so I thought I'd go straight to Il Padrone!!

I would like to build a 48" round oven that gives the ability to cook a wide variety of foods, not solely pizza.  While I appreciate the design and thermodynamic of a true Neapolitan wood burning oven, I also see that its design can limit the types of food it can cook. Is this oven strictly for pizza, or can the lower height also accommodate most foods (ex. roasts, suckling pig, etc)? Have you prepared food other than pizza in the Neapolitan ovens?

I know you like the Neapolitan VERY MUCH, but for a wider array of food, should I look toward a high-vault oven? I could do a barrel vault, but I really love the round-dome, hand-built, brick-by-brick. To me, the round oven is far more attractive and I believe it will cook better too! Plus, I like the better challenge in building this one!!!

What should be the dimensions for a 48" round oven built for the purpose I describe above? (interior height, opening width, opening height, rectangle opening or arched opening, flue/chimney dimension, etc)?

Grazie,
Gualtiero

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2005, 07:06:15 PM »
For the overs that we make, a 52" interior diameter has a 22" dome height.  The whole interior is bell shaped and the dome  has a slight curve to it, maybe about a 4 inch rise.  This is a very diverse unit, you can bake, grill and roast in it with no problems.
-JP-

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2005, 08:11:36 PM »
This is a very diverse unit, you can bake, grill and roast in it with no problems.
I've got one of JPY's ovens (though a smaller model) and can vouch for its versatility. I like to do a hat-trick meal: bake bread, roast vegetables, and grill meat, all from the same firing.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Gualtiero

• Someday....
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2005, 07:06:20 AM »
JP & Bill,

Thanks!!! You touched on exactly what I'd like to do with this oven!! I'll do some math and calculate some dimensions myself. My plan is to use the dimensions on Fornobravo as my basis and calculate up from there. In any event, though, I don't think I should go any higher than 21" on the dome to maximize the effects of the radiant heat she will produce.

Bill, the hat-trick cooking is what I was looking to do. I figure if I'm spending all that time firing, tending, and managing the oven, I want a little more than a few pizzas for my effort!! I love pizza, and will probably use it mostly for that, but there will be times when I want to use the oven for other foods. With a 48" I could probably do a Thanksgiving dinner for 15 all in one shot!!

mmmm...brick oven turkey.......

Thanks again Fellas!
Gualtiero

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2005, 07:21:21 AM »
The Neapolitan wood oven can be used for all sort of things as far as you manage it in a different way. The positive factor is that for a certain pizza is the only option while for other food is as good as others. I bake bread in it regularly the morning after it was used for pizza baking. At the restaurant, we would warm up all sort of food at the oven mouth, for few seconds. Also we used to quickly open shellfish..... or to quickly cook a chicken breast so to use it in a Caesar salad...

Ciao

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2005, 10:11:07 AM »
At the restaurant, we would warm up all sort of food at the oven mouth, for few seconds.

A really great thing for cooking in the "mouth" of a hot wood oven: bruschetta. Toast some oiled bread slices in the oven, rub with garlic, top with cheese, basil, and tomato, and heat until cheese melts. 

Bill/SFNM

Offline lussino

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2006, 12:54:40 PM »
I AM LOOKING TO OPEN A SMALL ARTISAN PIZZERIA.  I AM LOCATED IN THE USA.  COULD SOMEONE RECOMMEND A DESCENT OVEN, JUST FOR PIZZA THAT WOULD BE COST EFFECTIVE?
SINCERELY,
LUSSINO 

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2006, 01:11:19 PM »
Where are you in the US?The most cost effective way is to build your own.You need to decide what type of pizza you want to make also.The Italian ovens from MAM Forni are distributed in San Francisco and i have used these in the past for thin Roman style pizza,and are moderately priced i believe.Read the oven forums to get a better idea of your options.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline kgbenson

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2006, 04:36:50 PM »
Is there a plce where we can see JPY's ovens, i.e. a website?

Keith

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2006, 07:01:52 PM »
where are you located?  I can maybe find a place by you that has one.
-JP-

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2006, 10:37:52 PM »
Don't know if this has been posted previously, but check out the tutorial for building a wood-fired oven at here.

The guy could use an editor and a better crust recipe, but he does seem to know what he's doing when it comes to building ovens! :)

Offline lussino

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2006, 11:31:01 PM »
THANK YOU FOR THE RESPONSES!!  IT'S GREAT TO FIND OTHER PEOPLE WHO ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT PIZZA.   I AM LOCATED IN NEW JERSEY.  I MAKE PIZZA NEAPOLITAN STYLE PIZZA.
THANKS,
LUSSINO

Offline Tom Grim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2006, 06:06:01 PM »
Lussino,
    Where are you opening in NJ.  I am in NJ and thinking of the same thing.
Tom

Offline Forno Napoletano

• The only oven choice to make Pizza Napoletana
    • Forno Napoletano- Wood Burning Brick Ovens
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2006, 10:32:03 AM »
Lussino,

For a true Pizza Napoletana Pizzeria, the choice must be an Hand made Neapolitan brick oven like the one we make. It is made entirely by hand using the traditional Neapolitan materials and it is the only one that can deliver that type of pizza.

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2006, 09:00:04 AM »
For a true Pizza Napoletana Pizzeria, the choice must be an Hand made Neapolitan brick oven like the one we make. It is made entirely by hand using the traditional Neapolitan materials and it is the only one that can deliver that type of pizza.

That MAY be true, but as JPY and Sumeri point out here, if the oven doesn't pass ALL the relevant inspections (health, fire, safety, building, emissions; maybe more, depending on where you live) in your municipality/county, you won't be allowed to install, much less use, it, so check with the relevant code enforcement officials BEFORE you buy one, otherwise you might end up making an expensive mistake.