Author Topic: What are your favorite toppings?  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

What are your favorite toppings?
« on: June 14, 2010, 08:36:44 PM »
Two of my favorite toppings are spicy pepperoni and sausage.  The annoying thing about them is that they never seem to stay in place after you slide the pie onto the stone.  There's always some degree of shifting.   I've even tried light cheese, pepperoni/sausage, and then more cheese so the weight of the cheese anchors the topping.  Works Ok, but i really like what I've been doing lately.

I've been dicing the sausage and pepperoni.   Seems to stay put better.

Another favorite topping I've recently come to try is roasted cherry/grape tomatoes.  I roast them under the broiler until they are nice and black.  Much of the water is evaporated and concentrates the tomato flavor.  The skin comes right off and it's a GREAT topping on a margherita pizza.

Which brings me to my final point of this post, the MARGHERITA pizza.   When I first started making pizza, I had read that the purist will only top pizza with cheese, a little olive oil and basil.

I thought "man those purist/italians are really stuffy about this pizza business".   Now that I'm officially a pizza finatic, I find myself eating more and more margherita pizzas.  I have to say that I was caught off guard and surprise by the margherita.  Everytime I make pizza I usually make a cheese (for the wife and kid), a pepperoni (usually with jalapeno or mushroom or sausage), and a margherita with roasted cherry tomatoes, lots of basil and a drizzle of OO.  I find myself saving my appetite for the margherita and eating the whole pie while only eating a few slices of the others.  There's something really special about fresh mozz, good tomatoes, and fragrant basil and OO.

Anyone have some favorite toppings to share or feel the same way about the margherita pie?

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: What are your favorite toppings?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 08:50:02 PM »
Caramelized yellow onions and raw red onions. The one pie I always make other than a cheese has 50/50 mozz/provo, grilled chicken, roni, a rum bbq sauce, and caramelized onions. I love this pie, the rum sauce makes it. Without the sauce it would be fine but it is so much better it.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 09:13:26 PM »
Tran,

I liked the combination of toppings and Caribbean Sauce that I used to make a version of the California Pizza Kitchen Jamaican Jerk Chicken Pizza as I described it at Reply 26 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,704.msg91701.html#msg91701. I thought the Caribbean Sauce was a major contributor to the final flavors.

I also like bacon on pizzas, whether it is alone, with clams or oysters, or buffalo chicken pizza or just about anything else. Another topping I liked is fried chicken livers with a bunch of other things. I can give you the recipe if you are interested.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 09:24:13 PM »
Another favorite topping I've recently come to try is roasted cherry/grape tomatoes.  I roast them under the broiler until they are nice and black.  Much of the water is evaporated and concentrates the tomato flavor.  The skin comes right off and it's a GREAT topping on a margherita pizza.

Tran,

As you will see from Reply 5 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1433.msg13012/topicseen.html#msg13012, there are several small cherry-type tomatoes that are used in Naples on pizzas.

Peter

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 11:15:47 PM »
Wow, I forgot about mashed potatoes, bacon, and carmelize onions.    Those 3 are my other favorites and sound good together in combination as well.

Thanks for posting the link Peter.  I'm always learning tidbits of info from you.  I have seen the "fior de latte" term spread around but never bothered to look it up.  Didn't know it was cow's milk mozz and how prevalent it is in Italy.  I just assumed everyone was using buffala mozz.  I'm happy with the salted precious mozz and TJ's whole milk mozz so I'll stick with those for awhile. 

I have also tried the fresh cherry/grape tomatoes but by far prefer the broiled version.  It is very little extra work and adds loads of tomato flavor to the pizza. 

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 07:44:44 AM »
I have seen the "fior de latte" term spread around but never bothered to look it up.  Didn't know it was cow's milk mozz and how prevalent it is in Italy.  I just assumed everyone was using buffala mozz.

Tran,

In Naples, apparently the fior di latte is made from milk from a special source, as Marco (pizzanapoletana) explains in Reply 219 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1298.msg14994/topicseen.html#msg14994. As he further notes at Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1773.msg15833/topicseen.html#msg15833, apparently one has to request mozzarella di bufala if desired.

Peter

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 11:14:39 AM »
Try breakfast sausage, it can be pretty hot by adding crushed red peppers.  The texture can be finer as well and should stay in place.

Peppers, onions, and jalapenos will really give you a flavor boost if you salt them in a bowl a couple of hours beforehand.  You will be surprised as well at the amount of water drawn off.

Randy

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 11:17:56 AM »
The familiy loves minced garlic, lots of it, on most of the pizza I make.  The most requested pizza however, is the Mexican, with salsa, onion, cheddar, chips and sometimes chicken.

Tranman, I had a problem keeping brocolli in place, so I started putting it on the pie, BEFORE the cheese.  Now it doesn't move around when I load the pie in the oven and it doesn't get scorched.  While this won't work for peperoni, etc, it will work for your cherry tomatos.

Jack
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:20:44 AM by Jack »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
Thanks Jack.  Minced garlic and the mexican pizza sounds good.   

The cherry tomatoes seem to stay put after I roast them.  It causes the structure to break down a bit and they aren't as mobile.  It's a great topping if anyone hasn't tried it.

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 03:13:35 PM »
I make a Greek Salad Pizza with, Kalamata Olives, Red Onion, Pepperoncini and a small amount of crumbled feta with a small amount Mozzerella and light tomato sauce on a Focaccia style dough, it works well. 

Offline traligill

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 09:06:32 PM »
Hi All, this is my first post, although I have been lurking for many weeks and learning an incredible amount. This is a fantastic site for all thing pizza and I thank all involved.

Pete-zza  said "Another topping I liked is fried chicken livers with a bunch of other things. I can give you the recipe if you are interested."

Chicken livers are one of my favourite foods and would I appreciate your recipe, thanks.

One of my favourite pizza toppings is caramelized onions and gorgonzola cheese!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 10:18:43 PM by traligill »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 09:30:51 PM »
Pete-zza  said "Another topping I liked is fried chicken livers with a bunch of other things. I can give you the recipe if you are interested."

Chicken livers are one of my favourite foods and would I appreciate your recipe, thanks.

One of my favourite pizza toppings is caramalised onions and gorgonzola cheese!

traligill,

Happy to oblige. See Replies 3 and 5 starting at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8658.msg75948.html#msg75948 and Reply 27 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8685.msg75983.html#msg75983. If you decide to try the chicken liver pizza, with whatever dough you decide to use, I hope that you will report back to the membership on your results.

Peter

Offline traligill

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 09:44:01 PM »
Thanks Peter,

that recipe looks like something we would really enjoy. The inclusion of the sherry is a great idea!  I plan on making it on Saturday evening and will definitely report back:)

Offline traligill

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 11:51:32 PM »
Another favourite topping of mine is cooked minced lamb and onions with Cinnamon, allspice, tomatoes, pine nuts and pomegranate molasses on a New York style base.  The topping is based on a Lebanese recipe. We always serve it with a side dish of yogurt  and cucumber or sometimes feta crumbled on top of the pizza. 

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 12:09:20 AM »
Sausage, sauerkraut and onion is a family favorite, maybe a few pickled japs on there too
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline traligill

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 09:44:43 PM »
Jackitup, sauerkaut sounds novel:)  Any cheese with that? and what type of sausage?

I like sauerkraut with hot dogs, but never thought of it for a pizza.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 09:47:09 PM by traligill »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 10:05:25 PM »
Jackitup, sauerkaut sounds novel:)  Any cheese with that? and what type of sausage?
I like sauerkraut with hot dogs, but never thought of it for a pizza.

I just use regular cheese and sauce. A good mix of prov, mozz, cojack, parm, a good spicy Italian or German smoked is good, onions and sauerkraut. One tip is to squeeze to juice out of the kraut so you don't soggy things up and the flavor from the juice can kind of takeover.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline traligill

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 10:10:01 PM »
Thanks, Jon looks like that could be next Saturdays pizza:):)
cheers, Susan