Author Topic: napoletana style dough with IDY  (Read 630 times)

Offline Super Mario

napoletana style dough with IDY
« on: June 24, 2010, 06:50:27 AM »
Hi all,

I'm really thrilled to join the pizzamaking ranks and am looking forward to sharing pics of my (hopefully) ever-improving pizza creations thanks to the useful tips I will have picked up on this fantastic forum.

Down to business !  I just acquired my first ever packet of 00 flour at the local Italian grocery shop.  The brand is Progeo Molini "Tre Grazie".  If you're curious, there's a picture below. Before that, I used to make pizzas with regular flour (of the type we find here in French & Belgian supermarkets). 

While going through the different threads, I noticed that unfortunately most of the Neapolitan style recipes called for some sort of natural starter which I do not have at the present time (A16 thread, the scrumptious-looking Sophia, the Nearlypolitan...)  On the other hand, I do have some IDY at my disposal.  I was wondering what a good-matching recipe would be for a Napoletana style dough incorporating the tipo 00 flour brand I bought and IDY.

I also noticed many pizza aficionados in this forum seem to use a mixer (kitchen aid, etc), I hope not owning one is not a setback and that a pair of hands can achieve an equally satisfying result in which case I will be reassured ! 

As for the oven, I ordered a G3 Ferrari from Italy a couple of weeks ago.  At first, I thought it was a gadget but after reading lots of positive reviews (and given its success in Italy) I finally decided to get one.  The oven can reach 470C (878 F) in a matter of minutes and comes equipped with a refractory stone.  My 3 attempts thus far have all been quite promising and the end result way better than anything I'd ever achieved with a conventional oven. 

Offline Super Mario

Re: napoletana style dough with IDY
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 07:07:22 AM »
Oh, and by the way, here's a pic of my first pizza using the oven (and regular flour) .  Please be lenient, I know it looks very average but it tasted good !  For the measurements, I used Italian pizzaiolos' videos found on Youtube (I can't post the links since I'm a new user).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 07:14:44 AM by Super Mario »

pizzapan