Author Topic: Restaurant Depot in Brookly NY  (Read 6355 times)

Offline Kentis

Restaurant Depot in Brookly NY
« on: June 20, 2010, 08:15:37 PM »
Is anyone here familiar with the Restaurant Depot in Brooklyn NY near the Home Depot?

Offline scott123

Re: Restaurant Depot in Brookly NY
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 01:14:44 AM »
Kentis, I did a little digging and found a thread on Restaurant Depot

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10307.0.html

Apparently, it's meant to be for businesses only, but they'll let the public in if they ask for a 'day pass.'  Some places, though, will only give out day passes once.

Offline Kentis

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 02:32:20 AM »
Kentis, I did a little digging and found a thread on Restaurant Depot

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10307.0.html

Apparently, it's meant to be for businesses only, but they'll let the public in if they ask for a 'day pass.'  Some places, though, will only give out day passes once.

I will definite check out the Restaurant Supply in the next month or so. I know the place: There is a Costco very near and Home Deport is right next door. My only concern is hauling away the 50lb bag. I know that I can haul it by mylef to subway but it will be very awkward. I once bought the two 25lb book shelves (unassembled) in Ikea and had to carry it to subway which was really awkward. Each box was 6-feet high.

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 03:24:54 AM »
This will be easier than two 25 lb. 6' boxes, but, yeah, I understand where you're coming from.

The most difficult aspect of lugging around a bag of flour that size is that there's nothing to grab, so, unless you have the bag balanced over a shoulder, you really need two hands for it. Just off the top of my head, I'm thinking duct tape might help.  Maybe you could fashion some sort of handle. If you really wanted to go crazy and had enough tape, you might be able to fashion a back pack out of it. If you do use duct tape, make sure you go all the way around the bag with it and do a few layers for strength. If your makeshift handle breaks at the wrong moment- that would be bad :) It might be more carry-able if you make the handle on the side rather than the top. That way you can carry it like a bag.  Here, take a look at this:

http://used-handbags-for-sale.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/prada-handbag.jpg

Do you see how the straps go all the way around? That's probably what I'd do with the duct tape. Don't forget that duct tape is weak laterally, so make the straps pretty close to the center. Hmmm... maybe you could run the duct tape around a short piece of broom stick and use that as the handle. The broomstick would be comfortable to hold and you could loop the duct tape straight so it doesn't twist or bend. In fact, you probably just put the broomstick against the side of the bag and tape around it nice and tight.  As you pull on the stick it will naturally give you enough space for your hand. Can you picture this?

Do you know anyone with one of those folding shopping carts? I see those all the time in the city. Something like this would be ideal:

http://www.amazon.com/Jumbo-Folding-Shopping-Cart-Black/dp/B0000UZ57S/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline Kentis

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 04:13:18 AM »
The thing that bothers me the most about hauling the large bags of flour is the thought that they may rip apart or that I would accidental drop it and flour would come out of it.

The folding carts would really look embarassing with me, but it would have a bag of flower so it would kind of balance the "cause" for me to use it. I call these the Granny Cart or the Pony Cart (because a lot of these carts have a name/brand stamp of "Pony" in the front). My grandma actually has it but she never uses, I think that one of the wheels is loose or broken.

I also have a big gym duffel bag that I call Black Friday Bag, because I mostly use it on the Black Friday sales.

I may try like a small folding handtruck that my grandpa has, it comes with 2 elastic ropes that have the hooks. I might also use some shipping tape to secure the flour bag to it. What are the dimensions of the 50lb bag? I gotta survey the Restaurant depot to subway station area and see if it is suitable for the handtruck.

Offline Kentis

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 04:34:57 AM »
Another thing is this is what I just found via Google Maps: the Restaurant Depot is right next to the Jetro Cash Carry and this is what I just found:

"No minimum purchase is required to take advantage of our every-day low prices and advertised specials - we buy in volume and pass the savings along to our customers. And Jetro membership is free.

Each time you enter our warehouse, scan the  barcode on your Jetro membership card. If you forget to bring your membership card,  you may obtain a one-day shopping pass from our receptionist only by showing some  identification."

Offline scott123

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 06:50:28 AM »
I believe Restaurant Depot and Jetro are the same company and membership is free for businesses for both.  It looks like Jetro will let you show your ID but you still have to be a valid (business) member. Hopefully Restaurant Depot is a little less stringent.

Offline Guts

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 12:15:07 AM »
I got a card for restaurant depot all they wanted to see was a business license. Cash or credit card only business checks are a hole different story.
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline Kentis

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 01:52:01 AM »
I got a card for restaurant depot all they wanted to see was a business license. Cash or credit card only business checks are a hole different story.
Any kind of business license? I got a friend who has his own retail business, but it is not a food-related business.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 07:00:02 AM »
Yes.

In NJ all you have to do is create a "Sole Proprietorship", it's actually free. 
Patrick

Offline Kentis

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 07:53:53 PM »
Yes.

I see. So Restaurant Depot reports it to IRS at the end of the year.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 08:48:03 PM »
Not sure.  I do not buy anything taxable there, so i think it is moot.  if they were witholding tax that is a different story i guess.
Patrick

Offline Guts

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 12:51:08 PM »
Any kind of business license? I got a friend who has his own retail business, but it is not a food-related business.

My business license is for construction, I'm a contractor. So any kind of business license, and they had (you need to check this out) a 25 buck coupon if filled out on line. But you still have to go in with your business license in hand. I did a no resale and pay the tax at the check out, for the taxable things.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 12:53:52 PM by Guts »
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline dms

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 11:41:50 PM »
I see. So Restaurant Depot reports it to IRS at the end of the year.

No, they're really just interested in keeping the scummy general public out.  The general public does things like buy one bag of flour.  Business customers buy larger quantities of stuff, and spend more money.  Per transaction costs are pretty fixed, so they save money by not dealing with the general public.  (And the general public does things like ask questions, and demand answers, and generally makes life miserable for them, which further push costs up.) 

Offline EZPIZZA

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 08:45:56 PM »
Yes.

I live in NJ and would like to be able to buy at Restaurant Depot, how do you create a "Sole Proprietorship".

Offline Selma

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 12:22:46 AM »
I wanted to start up restaurant-related business in the city. But I don't know exactly how to get business license. How can I work to have 'sole proprietorship' if it's for free?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:42:12 AM by Selma »

Offline jgestner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 10:50:52 AM »
Hi Gang
I am in Wisconsin and became a Restaurant Depot card holder by just filling out a form and showing them my state sellers permit. It didn't seem to matter to them that my business was computer services related. I created my own small business LLC and registered it with the state and federal governments. I pay $25.00 per year for some state registration. The 6 in 1 tomatoes have me hooked on the Restaurant Depot free membership, even if they only sell the #10 Cans.

John
Merrill, WI

PS Wisconsin's own Grande cheese is great in 50/50 blend, Whole milk, or East Coast Blend even if not available at Rest Depot

Offline PizzaProbie

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »
Thank you guys.  I just went on line to the Sacramento, Ca location and was accepted as a member using my contractor license....Was very easy, going in Monday to show them my id and license and get my pass...It seems to easy..

Ed