Author Topic: Suggest a good IDY & can I ferment dough for a few days?  (Read 1389 times)

Offline pizzamonster

Suggest a good IDY & can I ferment dough for a few days?
« on: June 23, 2010, 04:09:13 AM »
All,

I'll keep it short:

1.  I want to re-attempt Sicilian style using Jeff V's recipe ("A Tale of Two Sicilians"l) and I'd like suggestions for a really good IDY.  Many people say "any" will do, but I've found in other bread making attempts, brand and variety make a difference.  I've been using Fleischman's Rapid Rise but I don't really like the resulting flavor (it's bland).

2.  After I make the pre-ferment (~1 day) and then make the dough balls, can I let them ferment for a few days?  I'm trying to prep a few dough balls for a big family get together and this would save me a lot of time.  My understanding is it should taste better with more fermentation

Thank you!
- pizzamonster

Offline pizzamonster

Re: Suggest a good IDY & can I ferment dough for a few days?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 12:19:50 AM »
37 views and not one reply?  Someone must have insight!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 06:47:38 AM »
37 views and not one reply?  Someone must have insight!

I rarely use commercial yeast but when I do I always opt for fresh yeast.  If it's available to you give it a try.  If you're not happy with that, then you may want to learn about sourdough starters.

Matt

Offline sear

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 09:56:47 AM »
Yes, longer ferment will help it taste better.
i've tried it with the IDY and fresh yeast, for 5 day ferment and still wasnt impressed with the flavor.

i recently switched to a sourdough starter, and have found this will impart more flavor in a couple hours then idy would in a week.
granted it is a little more work, but well worth it IMO.
i use mine once a week, i take it out of the fridge in the morning mix in a little flour and its ready to use when i get off work. i have also used a proof box at 85 degrees for a couple hours and that has got it active enough to use also. and this is after the starter has been in the fridge for 2 weeks.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 11:20:50 AM »
pizzamonster,

I believe the thread you are referring to is the one at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7426.msg63928.html#msg63928. Since jeff v started that thread, I thought that he might be able to answer your questions, especially the one regarding the use of a longer fermentation period.

As to the selection of an instant dry yeast (IDY), I don't think that it matters much which brand you use. You aren't likely to get a great deal of "yeast" flavor from just the IDY you use, whatever its brand. You would need to use large amounts to get that effect. You are perhaps better off relying on a long cold fermentation to develop the fermentation byproducts that are responsible for crust flavor.

The dough recipe that jeff v posted contains 1% yeast (IDY). That is fine for a short fermentation but it is likely to be too much for a long cold fermentation of a few days. You would have to reduce it. Perhaps jeff v has already done that on some occasion and may be able to tell you how much yeast to use. If he hasn't used a long cold fermentation, you would perhaps want to reduce the IDY to something around 0.30-0.40% and seek to achieve a finished dough temperature out of the mixer of around 75-80 degrees F. Since jeff's dough recipe calls for a very high hydration value (75%), and since high hydration doughs ferment faster than low hydration doughs, you might also want to reduce the hydration of your 2-3 day version.

If you do proceed along the above lines, I hope you will return and tell the membership of your results, including photos if possible. Adjusting a dough formulation like jeff's intended for one purpose to be used in another way can entail a certain amount of experimentation and trial and error. In your case, you might want to attempt a dough before your guests arrive to be sure that you get the dough formulation to where it should be.

Peter

Offline pizzamonster

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 12:56:36 PM »
All,

Thank you very much for your responses!

If I want to go the sourdough starter route and/or a longer ferment, is there a Sicilian recipe that would be more appropriate? 

I did try Jeff V's recipe without modification and *my* results weren't consistent ; the dough was excellent on the bottom but not cooked all the way through so it was kind of doughy and there wasn't a strong yeasty flavour that I like.  I'll try to post pictures.  I did top it exclusively with vegetables, so it's possible the higher water content affected the dough during cooking.  It had a great spring before going into the oven too.

I will certainly report back on any experimentation.

- pizzamonster

P.S.
This forum really rocks.

Offline sear

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 10:40:34 AM »

If I want to go the sourdough starter route and/or a longer ferment, is there a Sicilian recipe that would be more appropriate? 

if you go with the starter and or longer ferment. the amount of starter/yeast would change in the recipe depending on when you want to make the pie.

if you like the recipe your using i dont see a reason to change the other ingredients