Author Topic: Attempting my first white pizza  (Read 4972 times)

brayshaw

Re: Attempting my first white pizza
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2010, 12:40:49 PM »
Wow, your knowledge astounds me guys! thank you!
http://www.marriagesmillers.co.uk/our_flour/mb-white.html
That is a link to an alternative supplier that I found today, I spoke to them about my requirements and they are sending me 2x16kg sacks to try tomorrow, 1 is their 'Manitoba' and the other is their 'uppermost'. I will ask for spec sheets too.
What do you guys think?

Thank you,

Paul

Offline scott123

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2010, 01:08:11 PM »
By the lorry?  :o

The verbage for the Manitoba- 'exceptionally strong,' ' Canadian spring wheat,' certainly sounds promising. I also took a look at the specs they had on the home line and those looked respectable, although I find it a little strange that they list malt for some flours, but not others. Are Canadian and British bakeries using unmalted flour?

I'm hopeful, but, until we see the specs AND a batch of dough being made, we're not out of the woods yet.  I recall Terry (tdeane) having issues with an organic Canadian miller misrepresenting their flour as having higher protein/a higher absorption value than it actually had.  I hope it's not these guys.

How's the price? This feels a little more expensive than the Carr's.

brayshaw

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2010, 01:31:21 PM »
Thanks for that Scott, I think the flour will arrive tomorrow so I will mix a batch up and film it for you.
The price is around the 10 mark per 16kilo sack (he sent me those 2 sacks today free of charge though)

Thanks for your help.

Paul

brayshaw

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2010, 05:47:32 AM »
Wow, your knowledge astounds me guys! thank you!
http://www.marriagesmillers.co.uk/our_flour/mb-white.html
That is a link to an alternative supplier that I found today, I spoke to them about my requirements and they are sending me 2x16kg sacks to try tomorrow, 1 is their 'Manitoba' and the other is their 'uppermost'. I will ask for spec sheets too.
What do you guys think?

Thank you,

Paul

I have heard back from Marriages millers and this was the email I got from them:

Paul,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Manitoba Flour.  Unfortunately I am not authorised to supply a product specification to anyone who is not a current customer.  I have spoken with our Flour Sales Manager, Ian Whymark, and I believe that you should receive the flour today. One of our Territory managers, Dave McKenzie, will then be in touch with you.

Kind Regards

Cathy

Offline scott123

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2010, 06:19:11 AM »
Okay Paul, I think Cathy needs to clarify something here.  This is what I'd ask her:

Dear Cathy,

When you say you aren't authorized to supply product specifications to prospective customers, are you saying that someone else in your company (such as Dave McKenzie) IS authorized? Or is not supplying specifications to non customers company wide policy?

brayshaw

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2010, 06:36:32 AM »
I have just phoned them and spoke to Ian Whymark, he said it is a company wide policy to not share that info with non-customers. Scott I called you my 'technical guy' ;D
Ian said to me that I should mix up a batch of dough and get my 'technical guy' to look at it mixing and if it performs well and tastes as good as I hope it will then I should become a customer and they will gladly send me a spec sheet.

Paul

Offline scott123

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2010, 08:56:58 AM »
Paul, that's kind of you to call me your 'technical guy,' but, in all fairness, I'm one of your technical guys :)

As far as Marriages Millers not providing spec sheets to prospective customers... that is absolutely ridiculous.  It would be like a car dealership not telling prospective buyers the gas mileage on the models they're selling.  It's just horrible business.

I'm well aware that you've been looking for flour suppliers and are quickly running out of options, but, if you did have another company you could deal with, I would tell you to tell MM where to go.  They don't deserves anyone's business.

There's a good chance you'll be doing business with these folks, so you can't push the envelope too far, but, if I were you, I would send them a link to this discussion.* They should be made aware that the public is being made aware of this policy and that it reflects incredibly poorly on their company.

*Checking with Peter and/or Steve first to make sure it's alright.

brayshaw

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2010, 09:04:40 AM »
I have a team of technical guys and girls here ;D and that is what makes this forum the incredible forum that it is, so many knowledgeable and helpful people. :pizza:

Ok, I will let them know about this thread if it's ok with Peter/Steve.

I was very surprised also that they won't let a potential customer see the spec of one of their products.

Thanks again to you and everyone that provides all the help I could hope for.

Paul

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2010, 09:51:17 AM »
Paul,

I don't see any problem with referring a supplier or potential supplier to the forum. I have done that on a few occasions, including a company with whom members were having problems with service and deliveries. I wanted to point out to the company how bad news can spread fast on the Internet and that it was in their best interest to resolve service and customer related issues.

Peter

brayshaw

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2010, 09:56:32 AM »
Paul,

I don't see any problem with referring a supplier or potential supplier to the forum. I have done that on a few occasions, including a company with whom members were having problems with service and deliveries. I wanted to point out to the company how bad news can spread fast on the Internet and that it was in their best interest to resolve service and customer related issues.

Peter

Thanks Peter, lets see if we get a responce...