Author Topic: Pete-zza's Epicurean or chicken liver pizza  (Read 1947 times)

Offline traligill

Pete-zza's Epicurean or chicken liver pizza
« on: June 26, 2010, 09:33:49 PM »
quoted from  Pete-ezz

"In any event, the Epicurean Pizza is more than just chicken livers. The pizza also includes caramelized onions, mushrooms, and garlic. The onions I used were the Texas 1015 onions that are naturally sweet. However, the caramelization (in butter) makes them even sweeter. I used one large onion but, after the pizza was made and tasted, I concluded that two large onions would have been even better. The mushrooms were a mixture of lightly sautéed sliced mushrooms (sautéed in a combination of butter and olive oil) and raw sliced mushrooms. I also added a few tablespoons of Harvey’s Bristol Cream sherry to the sautéed mushrooms for additional elegance and flavor.

The chicken livers were prepared by dusting them in a combination of all-purpose flour, salt and freshly ground black pepper and then lightly sautéing them in butter. I tried different size pieces of the chicken livers, from small, medium to large pieces. They all seemed to work. I estimate that I used a total of about 3/4 pound of chicken livers. After I removed the chicken livers from the sauté pan, I added a bit more butter and olive oil and lightly sautéed two diced garlic cloves. The butter/oil and garlic served as the base for the pizza. On that base, I added a small amount of shredded low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella cheese. I then added some of the caramelized onions and some of the sliced mushrooms. This was followed by the rest of the shredded mozzarella cheese and the remaining caramelized onions and mushrooms. I did not want to overdo the cheese, so I used about 5.5 ounces total. The lightly sauteed chicken livers went on top. I also added some dried thyme (dried from fresh thyme I had purchased) for added flavor."
 (I quoted this at length because I don't know how to link to things)

I made this last night and everyone thought it excellent.  I did add the extra onion as suggested and I left out the sherry, purely by accident. I just forgot to add it!
I used my own dough recipe which is based on Peter Reinhart's Italian bread recipe in 'The Baker's Apprentice' but I don't knead it, but use the stretch and fold, and retarded rise   method he advocates in his 'artisan breads every day'  Sorry I don't have any photo's but I haven't got a working camera at the moment.

Thanks Peter for a great recipe! : ;D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pete-zza's Epicurean or chicken liver pizza
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 10:21:47 PM »
Susan,

I'm glad you liked the pizza. Not exactly something that you are likely to get from the Eagle Boys :-D.

With respect to entering links in posts to other posts and threads, you might read this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3249.msg27461.html#msg27461.

Peter

Offline traligill

Re: Pete-zza's Epicurean or chicken liver pizza
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 10:33:46 PM »
 Thanks, I will read and learn:)