Author Topic: which kind of milk can use for pizza dough?  (Read 1891 times)

wch

which kind of milk can use for pizza dough?
« on: March 29, 2005, 01:13:53 AM »
milk powder or fresh milk?non-fat or what?

snowdee

Re: which kind of milk can use for pizza dough?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 04:03:31 AM »
It's up to you but keep in mind that your choice will affect your dough hydration level and some experimentation will need to be done to get that so your dough isn't too stiff or slack.  My advice is to forget adding any type of milk.  Pizza shops don't use it so why should you?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 09:07:59 AM »
I agree with our guest Snowdee.

The problem with using milk in a dough recipe is that there is something in the milk, either an enzyme or a protein, that interferes with the normal action of the yeast so that the end result is a soft, and slack dough. Those few pizza operators who do use milk usually use a specially processed milk using high heat. It is sold by bakery products suppliers and is called a high-heat or baker's grade milk. When using regular milk, the conventional advice is to scald it and let it cool before using. Apparently this is to disable the offending enzyme or protein in the milk. If a dry non-fat milk is to be used, the advice is to reconstitute it in water, scald it and let it cool before using. It's not clear whether scalding is necessary for pasteurized milk, but most people scald and cool it anyway.

Peter

jeancarleo

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 12:16:30 PM »
I use powdered soymilk and it tastes way better than adding cow's milk LOL

pizzapan