Author Topic: New York Neapolitan Pizza?  (Read 1011 times)

Offline redneck6497

New York Neapolitan Pizza?
« on: June 29, 2010, 12:50:42 PM »
Hi All,

I am going to be staying in the Gramercy area of town arriving Thursday leaving Sunday.  What does everyone recommend for an amazing Neapolitan style pizza? 

It would also be nice if the Pizzaiolo is friendly enough to give a beginner a tip or two .... or at least be able to see them working the dough.   I recently purchased a Big Green Egg, and am in training. 

Thanks in advance.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
Re: New York Neapolitan Pizza?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 10:00:49 AM »
If you cross over to Brooklyn, you might want to go to Paulie Gee's in Greenpoint.  This place is run by a guy who is one of us.  He started out making pizza in his kitchen and tested it out on his unsuspecting friends, just like a lot of us do.  He then built a WFO in his backyard and honed his skills.  Just like some of us have done.  According to everything I have read, the so called guinea pigs were heralding his culinary genius and clamoring for more.  Just like a few of....  Well, at this level, it's easy for a backyard pizzaiolo to mistake the offer of FREE PIZZA! for excellent cuisine.  In this very particular case, this man crafts a finely balanced pie. The jump off point was when Paul hit the FULL COMMIT button and decided to open a full blown pizza joint.  Just like...  Ummm... Varasano did. 
Plus!...  He installed the mother of all ovens in his shop.
I am so stoked over this story.  My son, an accomplished stick man, lives in Brooklyn.  He has never been but has strict orders to visit and take video so I can vicariously live the experience.
He said it's a tough putt to get there. But I hope you go and report back to us, with plenty of pictures.

Offline redneck6497

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 11:07:56 PM »
Pizzapolice,

Thanks for the recommendation.  If I can get there over the weekend I will.

Online scott123

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 01:44:56 AM »
Redneck6497, I thought for sure that more people would chime in here, but since here we are on the eve of your departure and you only have one recommendation (albeit a good one), I'm going to list a few of the local favorites, even though I'm not a Neapolitan guy and haven't eaten at any of these places personally.

After the departure of VPN, Keste and Motorino seem to be the remaining big names in NYC Neapolitan.  I've seen a lot of mixed reviews for Keste, though.  I'm not sure how much of a personal touch you'll get at Motorino, but it's popular enough that you probably should make the trip.

Will you have a car?  I've been hearing pretty spectacular things about Nomad in the Princeton, NJ area.  They started with a mobile business, but recently opened a storefront location.  The nice thing about Nomad is they may have a little less of that stuffy Manhattan vibe and could be a little more approachable.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 08:53:38 AM »
I second what scott said about Nomad. I read a lot of reviews on them and they were all good, plus they use a Forno Napoletano oven if I'm correct or is it a Ferrara. Either way good pies.

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 12:45:31 PM »
Getting in late here but maybe not too late.
I visited Motorino last year (orig location Brooklyn) and ended up having quite a lengthy conversation with both the owner and manager.  It was around lunch time and they were not very busy that day which may have helped.  Great pizza, people, and experience.
Here is the orig post.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8325.msg72268.html#msg72268 

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 07:13:48 PM »

Enjoy your trip to N.Y.
While there I suggest you go to Keste if VPN is your style.  You can go in the  back where the pies are made and watch and talk.  Roberto the big dog was tickled that I flew in from Florida to eat one of his pies.  Out came the free appetizers.  We were treated very well.  Piewise it is better than A-16 and does not take a back seat to Pizza Bianco. 

pizzapan