Author Topic: Farmer's market pizza, wood fired oven  (Read 2341 times)

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Farmer's market pizza, wood fired oven
« on: July 01, 2010, 04:47:56 PM »
Ran into this very nice setup at a local (Wethersfield, CT) farmer's market. Had a nice chat with the owner.
 The oven is French and he had a custom copper dome made for it. It is removable. Five inches of insulation in the base with more above. The trailer is also custom. The oven floor temp is about 600 deg.
The dough is partially baked. It is a sourdough, starter from Oregon. Very tasty and I wish him well. Told him about the forum so perhaps he will check in.
That's about all I can remember. Pix below.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 10:46:58 AM by apizza »

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Farmer's market pizza, wood fired
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 04:49:19 PM »
And two more PIX

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 10:45:47 AM »
I just remembered this comment. It may interest any members who may be thinking about a movable pizza oven.
The owner said if doing it again he would go with leaf springs on the trailor, not torsion bar suspension. Don't know why but I'm sure some of you would understand the reason.

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
Re: Farmer's market pizza, wood fired oven
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 05:06:18 AM »
Hi apizza,

The setup looks pretty good.

I guess that the leaf springs would reduce the "jarring effect" on the oven when going over uneven terrain (as one finds at farmer's markets). I also suspect the that the copper cover is pretty handy in hiding cracks in the outer dome - caused by travelling on uneven terrain.

The one major change I would suggest is the overall height. It is far too low !! I would have made the oven much higher (floor level at about 4' or slightly more) and used the extra space under the oven for wood storage, etc. Supplementary gas heating would also save time...

Kind regards.

Barry

Offline sear

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 10:15:53 AM »
I just remembered this comment. It may interest any members who may be thinking about a movable pizza oven.
The owner said if doing it again he would go with leaf springs on the trailor, not torsion bar suspension. Don't know why but I'm sure some of you would understand the reason.

after he tries the leaf springs then he'll want a double axle trailer  :-D ... which would probably be best

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 01:01:37 PM »
I think torsion is easier on the load (the oven).  The weight may be too heavy for the axle?
Patrick

Offline sear

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 01:56:06 PM »
I think torsion is easier on the load (the oven).  The weight may be too heavy for the axle?

thats what i was getting at. generally a trailer that size would be rated for a +- 2400lb cargo capacity