Author Topic: Sauce!  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Arthur

• When Brooklyn Was the World
Sauce!
« on: March 29, 2005, 09:49:03 AM »
I have been very happy with my dough for over a year now, but I have been struggling with the sauce.  I have tried all different mixtures using 6 in 1, 7/11, Bonta, Full Red, etc.   I suppose they taste pretty good even when mixed with water since some are so thick.    And I even suppose that they taste pretty similar New York street pizza places.  Unfortunately I'm searching for sauce that's a little better than that.  I did like Patsy's, Di Fara's and Una Pizza Napolitana's sauce.   I have tried some cans like Vantia and Red Pack and even mixed them with some of the above pizza paste/sauces.   I don't like cooking the sauce because that seems to remove the freshness.  I have not tried some of the DOP sauces people have mentioned but was wondering if someone has found a great can out there that seems to work well.

Offline bortz

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Sauce!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 02:30:25 PM »
Hi Art, when you say you want a sauce that tastes better than the NY street pizzas, what exactly are you looking for? Stronger flavor, a more italian taste, a certain level of sweetness? Some of the products you listed will take you most anywhere you want to go so with a little more info on what exactly you're looking for...

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 03:46:54 PM »
I use Muir Glen organic tomatoes....you can get them in regular plum or oven roasted....they are a little more money then your standard variety but...one taste and you will be hooked...I barely fuss with them no cooking ..use them out of the can...enjoy!!! 

Offline Arthur

• When Brooklyn Was the World
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 03:59:59 PM »
hmmm...I guess I'm looking for something fresher.    I love the way some italian tomatoes taste out of the can, but they are typically too loose for pizza so you need to either cook them (which I don't like) or mix them with a paste like substance (like bonta).

As for muir glen - I've tried that as well - but I prefer that on my pasta over pizza.