Author Topic: Best mixer for low hydration pizza dough  (Read 1173 times)

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Best mixer for low hydration pizza dough
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 11:06:55 PM »
Ok, now I'm getting nervous. I made 18 dough balls for a party on Sunday and I'm really concerned that the dough "didn't take." Is there a way I get tell tomorrow morning whether or not they'll be OK? If not, I may have to make a whole new batch...although I'm not sure what I'd change because I don't know what went wrong!

Help please.

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 11:24:25 PM »
What speed did you use?

I've never seen stringy dough before but a quick search suggests that's a sign of over-kneading:

As to your question about overkneading, I was using the term overkneading in the context of pizza dough, not bread dough. According to Tom Lehmann, pizza dough should be kneaded only until the dough ball comes together into a smooth and elastic ball, and no longer. Technically, it is possible to overknead a dough to the point where it may not be usable. During kneading, the gluten strands get longer and longer, but a point can come where the gluten strands start to break apart due to excessive kneading. This is called the "letdown" stage and will result in a dough that completely disinte­grates and becomes wet and stringy. Our dough recipes don't call for a level or duration of kneading that should take us to that point. But too much kneading can lead to a tight crumb in the finished crust with small voids.

Source: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1159.msg10359#msg10359

Maybe make a test pizza in the morning to see how the dough handles?

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 08:56:30 AM »
I may have to do that just to be safe.

The dough was not in a ball when I took it out of the mixer. It was a big sticky blob. I even mixed 4 minutes longer that Scott did (12 min instead of 8) but it didn't help.

I'd be surprised to find out that I have to modify my ingredients for the mixer change.

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 11:10:41 AM »
Is it possible that it's because I left the lid on the mixer when I was mixing it and it created too much humidity/moisture in the dough?

I just tried a new batch and it looked much, much better even after 5 minutes of mixing. It wasn't sticky and didn't ride up on the center bar of the bowl. I went back to my original receipt and ended up mixing 15 minutes and it was a nice ball when I was done. Not smooth yet, but at least it was a ball. I'm letting it rest now to see how it smoothes up.

As far as opening up one of the dough balls I made last night, I can't believe it, but there was no difference in this batch and the previous batches from my old workflow. After two hours on the counter (from the fridge), it was a breeze to stretch and form into a nice big crust!

Now I'm really confused. :-(

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 12:28:59 PM »
Is it possible that it's because I left the lid on the mixer when I was mixing it...

That could be a problem. The lid traps heat. 12 minutes with the lid on definitely increased the temperature of your dough by a few degrees.

I usually take the lid off as soon as the flour stops flying.

As far as opening up one of the dough balls I made last night, I can't believe it, but there was no difference in this batch and the previous batches from my old workflow.

Did you send it through the oven? Was "But too much kneading can lead to a tight crumb in the finished crust with small voids." an issue?

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 11:39:20 PM »
No, I haven't cooked it yet. I saved some from the first batch, but made new dough too. I'll post after I cook and see if there's a difference. Thanks!

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 09:53:18 AM »
Well, we cooked 15 pies last night. Must say, they were pretty darn good. :-)

I think I'm done tweaking for a while. I'm going to stick with the same recipe and workflow that I used and see how it goes. I'm sure I'll be tempted to alter something soon, but for now I'm going to keep doing what everyone likes. I do need to work on my husband's cooking part, though. I think he needs some tips. But that's a completely different thread. ;-)

Thanks to everyone for all of their help!

pizzapan