Author Topic: Magic Mill - Black Residue on Back of Scraper  (Read 202 times)

Online PrimeRib

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Magic Mill - Black Residue on Back of Scraper
« on: January 12, 2015, 11:06:20 PM »
Hello, I have a magic mill mixer model 9311.  I noticed that when making dough, a black residue forms on the dough in certain areas on the back side of the scraper.  This batch had light residue, but other batches had spots that were darker.  The bowl and scraper are clean and have been in the dishwasher. There are horizontal lines on the inside of the bowl as if the the scraper was scratching the bowl, but the inside of the bowl is smooth. 

I found one other mention of this issue in this link, but no solution was mentioned:

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/21935/assistent-original-aka-magic-mill-dlx-really-worth-it

Thoughts on what could be the cause of the black residue?  I also reached out to the U.S. importer to see if they have seen this before. 

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 11:17:46 PM by PrimeRib »

Offline Zensojourner

Re: Magic Mill - Black Residue on Back of Scraper
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 05:03:11 PM »
I have only ever seen this when polishing compound was not totally cleaned off at the factory.  It can be quite tenacious, too.  Last time I had to deal with something like this it too me several hours and multiple attacks with a clean cotton cloth to get it off.  I finally resorted to white vinegar, and either that helped, or it was about to surrender anyway. 

If your mixer were new, I would suspect polishing compound, but if it's labeled "Magic Mill" it must be an older model.  BTW, I have not found putting something like this through the dishwasher to be of much help.  Only hand cleaning has ever solved this issue for me.

Anyway.  I don't think your mixer is new enough for leftover polishing compound to be the problem.  I would still try polishing with a clean cloth, with the assistance of either white vinegar or Everclear to try to remove any lingering residue of whatever it is, wherever it came from. 

Did you ever hear back from the importer, and was that Bread Beckers that you tried to contact?  If not, I would suggest contacting Bread Beckers and asking them.  Electrolux still has the stuff up for the Magic Mill, but to my knowledge they don't come in marked that way anymore, they are all Ankarsrum now and they all come through Bread Beckers before being distributed out to the retailers.

BTW - I looked at the freshloaf thread, and there was one solution listed there:
What I did is just mix together water and flour  into a loose batter and let it whip at high speed for several minutes, that seemed to clean everything out and likely cost less than $1.00.

This sounds like one way to remove leftover polishing compound - but might still be worth a try for whatever is causing your problem as well.  Heck, maybe add some Dawn dish detergent to the slurry for its degreasing abilities - its not like you're going to eat the stuff when you're done, LOL!
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:08:02 PM by Zensojourner »

Online PrimeRib

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Magic Mill - Black Residue on Back of Scraper
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 05:45:47 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts.  I contacted who I believe to be the current importer, http://www.magicmillusa.com/ .  They claimed no knowledge of the issue, and their only suggestion was to buy a new scraper, bowl, or both.  I cleaned the inside of the bowl with Barkeepers Friend, but I still get the black residue.  It's not a big deal as I donít use the bit of dough that sticks to the back of the scraper anyway, and that is where the black residue accumulates.  It is obviously occurring from the scrapper rubbing the inside of the bowl.  The unit has some age on it, and based upon the number of times it was used, I imagine any manufacturing polishing compound would have worn off by now.  I will try some vinegar. 

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:22:11 PM by PrimeRib »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 06:55:04 PM »
I believe that is just a lil bit of oxide rubbing off the alum. bowl. It won't hurt you.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online PrimeRib

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 07:23:16 PM »

I believe that is just a lil bit of oxide rubbing off the alum. bowl. It won't hurt you.

The bowl is stainless.

pizzapan