Author Topic: Flour Storage - Cheap and Easy  (Read 396 times)

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
Flour Storage - Cheap and Easy
« on: July 15, 2014, 03:13:51 PM »
This is not a new solution as it has been posted by PMF members: DIY Whiz, bbqchuck. and continued with many good suggestions in the path:

Pizza Making Forum General Topics Ingredients & Resources Dough Ingredients How do YOU store your 50 lbs of KASL?

The reason for this "new" post is many of the above threads started in or around 2008 and I got the (warning - you're about to post to a topic that is over 120 days old) when I was going to add pricing and availability info.  It's hopefully worthwhile to share what perhaps may be at least an update for those on the hunt for easy ways to keep a not small amount of flour on hand.  I'd also like to share with those in the PNW that Winco has the 2 gallon NSF buckets and the GAMMA Lids in the same area - by bulk foods for what I thought was a inexpensive price.  I believe the buckets are under $2.50 and the GAMMA Lids for the same are around $5.00.  I can force one of the 2 gallon buckets to hold about 14# of flour.  What's cool is they are so small and manageable that you can move them from the pantry/storage to the kitchen with ease as they have a handle and without mess as the lid is easily twisted on or off.  I've been using them for about a year now and they are great!I currently have 5 types of flour in these 2 gallon buckets and another 25# in a 5 Gallon NSF bucket with the larger GAMMA lid.  Then pick up some cast aluminum scoops at the restaurant supply store and your set.  Hope this helps anyone looking for a solution. They're really handy.

[/size]Cheers,
[/size]Don
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:15:39 PM by Donjo911 »
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline Fire-n-smoke

Re: Flour Storage - Cheap and Easy
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 09:55:39 AM »
 Good find.  I have been using 6 quart containers as well as 22 quart containers for bulk flower.  Bought the 6 qt at sam's club; three pack for around 12 bucks.  The 22 qt containers were purchased from restaurant store for around 15 (both container and lid). Both work great with the lids snapping tight.  Now I buy all my flour in bulk.
Tom

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 09:57:54 AM »
Where did you get those magnetic containers that hang from the bottom of the shelves?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 09:59:19 AM »
See how well the lids are secured!  Flour does not fall out even when turned over!!  :-D

Tom

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »
The 22 quart's you have are great.  Made by (the other) Winco? I bought the clear 8 Qt & 12 Qt ones for bulk fermenting.  They are so great we ended up using them for all kinds of space effecient storage in the fridge!  In fact, I'm going to the resturant supply store today to get a couple more.

Good call on those containers with the yellow tops.  I wish we had Sam's Club in the PNW.  We have Costco - but I've seen many great products picked up at Sam's Club that you just can't seem to get at Walmart or Costco.   Like Craig's and others "modified" bbq grill, certain brands of ingredients, etc.

Cheers,
Don
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.

Online scott123

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 02:31:58 PM »
My 4.25 gallon covered buckets aren't as easy to open as the gamma lids, but you can't beat the price- free from the bakery department at my local supermarket.  I can, with some jiggling to get the flour to settle, get a 50# bag in two buckets.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 02:49:44 PM »
Scott 123 -

That was another reason for this post. 50# bags.  I regularly buy 25 lb bags or 2 x 10lb bags as I look for a favorite flour.  If I could get Spring King Bromonated flour - perhaps I'd be in for the #50's  ;)    I bought the 5 gallon GAMMA's / buckets first.  They're great (not as great as free) but until I decide on a particular flour or two... the little brother GAMMAs + 2 Gallon buckets are a good "gateway-container!"  :-D

Cheers,
Don

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 04:21:50 PM »
i use these, they fit #25 at a time. i just use plastic wrap over the top of the tote, roll the edges over, and snap the lid on. never had an issue

http://www.spacesavers.com/Storage/Plastic-Storage-Totes/50-Quart-Shelf-Tote-by-Sterilite-Clear
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 10:06:48 PM »
i use these, they fit #25 at a time. i just use plastic wrap over the top of the tote, roll the edges over, and snap the lid on. never had an issue

http://www.spacesavers.com/Storage/Plastic-Storage-Totes/50-Quart-Shelf-Tote-by-Sterilite-Clear

How do you know it's safe for food storage?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 01:05:06 AM »
How do you know it's safe for food storage?

i'm not dead after 7 years?

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 05:29:35 AM »
i'm not dead after 7 years?

I did some cheesemaking for a brief time and this was a common question on the cheesemaking forum.  it's an easy web page search and worth checking .  Personally I like to know if I might poison family and friends.

http://www.sterilite.com/general_info.html

General Sterilite Info
Q: What materials are used to manufacture Sterilite products?
A: Our products are made of polypropylene and polyethylene that are safe for food storage. No PVCs, Latex, Teflon, Phthalates chemicals, fungicides, Bishphenol A (BPAs), or antibacterial chemicals are used in our manufacturing process. Our clear (see-through) products are acid-free, and safe for storing photos, fabrics, craft, or hobby items and other keepsakes. We do not recommend the use of plastic products for negatives that are glass plate, nitrate or acetate-based.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:42:42 AM by deb415611 »

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 08:50:37 AM »
The 22 quart's you have are great.  Made by (the other) Winco?
Don

To be honest I'm not sure of the brand....It does say it is made in china so it must have lead in it !!   :-D
tom

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 09:52:40 AM »
I did some cheesemaking for a brief time and this was a common question on the cheesemaking forum.  it's an easy web page search and worth checking .  Personally I like to know if I might poison family and friends.

http://www.sterilite.com/general_info.html

General Sterilite Info
Q: What materials are used to manufacture Sterilite products?
A: Our products are made of polypropylene and polyethylene that are safe for food storage. No PVCs, Latex, Teflon, Phthalates chemicals, fungicides, Bishphenol A (BPAs), or antibacterial chemicals are used in our manufacturing process. Our clear (see-through) products are acid-free, and safe for storing photos, fabrics, craft, or hobby items and other keepsakes. We do not recommend the use of plastic products for negatives that are glass plate, nitrate or acetate-based.

in short, the poly sterilite tubs that i used at a pizza shop before, were approved by the PA health inspector when he came by. i asked, he said they (the clear ones) were fine.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 11:06:28 AM »

To be honest I'm not sure of the brand....It does say it is made in china so it must have lead in it !!   :-D
tom

If it's the 'other Winco' you should be able to see the name embossed on the lid as in the pic below. Your 22 Qt's look exactly the same as the ones I have.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 01:23:33 PM »
This is what I use. It's made specifically for food, and it's easy to find at probably any restaurant supply store. (I got this one from Restaurant Equippers.) It's a ten-gallon container, I believe, and it holds 50 lbs of flour. Five-pound bag of Pillsbury flour for scale.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 02:51:16 PM »

i get those at walmart....store all my paint booth supplies in them so the shelving looks cleaner.   ;)
i know for certain that they don`t contaminate any of my paints.   ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"