Author Topic: Where to buy equipment in the midwest  (Read 1169 times)

Offline mattks

Where to buy equipment in the midwest
« on: July 07, 2010, 03:07:34 PM »
Does anyone know of any auction houses or warehouses that sell used restaurant equipment. I'm located in Southern Kansas, so anywhere in KS, Ok, North Texas, Missouri would be awesome. I'm planning on opening a pizzeria in 18 months or so. I've been looking online and ebay seems about the best place to look for used equipment. I want to get my oven in the next 6 months so I can start testing my pizzas, and I have a small budget ($5000 max). If anyone here has one available, I want a double deck gas oven, not a conveyor belt.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
Re: Where to buy equipment in the midwest
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 10:06:08 PM »
You need to search places like craigslist or better yet CRAZEDLIST to find stuff that owners are trying to liquidate.  Seek out all local newspapers and the like where private people, companies and institutions looking to get shed of unneeded, unwanted and soon to be replaced equipment.
If you seek out auction houses  or warehouses that sell these items you must consider where they acquired them in the first place.  An example:  2 months ago, I was notified of a pizza place liquidating the complete store.  I got there too late.  Some dude came out and told me he bought everything within the first moment.
He invited me to come to his shop and see it all the next day.  ...See what I mean?

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 06:36:55 PM »
I'm not an expert but....In most urban areas you should have restaurant supply houses that sell used equipment.  You should also have advertised auctions.  These can be great sources if you are an expert - or bring one with you.  Being the second buyer of equipment can be huge.  But only if you understand the risks.  If you are not an expert, find one.  He'll know where to go.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 06:47:33 PM »
For those who are interested, this topic has migrated over to the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9171&sid=405d5ca37e7eef87144aaf26c8072c60.

Peter