Author Topic: Coluccio Tomatoes  (Read 2280 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

Coluccio Tomatoes
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:53:57 PM »
Has anyone used these, and what is your opinion. I was told by the clerk in my local import store that they were the best of the tomatoes they sell. At $4.69 a can, I want to make sure they're good.

Offline wiser1

Re: Coluccio Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 03:34:49 PM »
Has anyone used these, and what is your opinion. I was told by the clerk in my local import store that they were the best of the tomatoes they sell. At $4.69 a can, I want to make sure they're good.
Many years ago, I was driving around and heard Arthur Schwartz on 770 or 710 radio talking about how great Coluccio tomatoes were and he said where I could buy them.  I bought a can and loved them.  I bought a bunch more.  Then, I heard that Coluccio brand is overrated San Marzano tomatoes and there were many other brands that cost less that were just as good.  So, I went through cheaper brands of San Marzano tomatoes from the base of Mt. Vesuvius.  I'm now in NC trying to find Coluccio because there just isn't any better or comparable brand.  I'm also not employed ... which makes paying more money for tomatoes a little nuts but that's how good I personally think they are.

Yeah, they cost more.  Yeah, they're worth it. 

P.S.:  Would you post where you're buying them so I can contact them?  I'm trying Chef's Choice in NJ but haven't heard from them. 

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 12:35:09 PM »
wiser1    I saw the Coluccio tomatoes in a local Italian import store, Cardona's on Delaware Ave. in Albany, NY. $4.69 a can is a bit steep, but that's the only place i've ever seen them in. Next time i'm in the store i'll ask who the distributor is and post back here for your info.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 01:05:48 PM »
I know that at one time anthony was using them at Una pizza napoletana, so how bad could they be?   

Offline wiser1

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 04:17:01 PM »
wiser1    I saw the Coluccio tomatoes in a local Italian import store, Cardona's on Delaware Ave. in Albany, NY. $4.69 a can is a bit steep, but that's the only place i've ever seen them in. Next time i'm in the store i'll ask who the distributor is and post back here for your info.
Thanks very much, dmcavanagh.  I contacted Chef's Central in Paramus, NJ just now for $4.99/can for 28 oz +11.95 shipping.  I ordered two cases.  I'm so tired of dealing with Muir Glen and other San Marzano tomatoes.  Nothing is quite as good (to me, anyway) as Coluccio.  I know the taste may change depending on the batch but this brand was consistently notches better above the other brands.  When I'm making something that's heavy in tomato - like gazpacho or tomato sauce - I don't want to mess around.  $4.69/can is a fine price to pay if what you're making is important.  You can always do a blind taste test - buy a cheap brand and one small can of Coluccio and try them and you decide which you like better.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 05:08:39 PM by wiser1 »