Author Topic: Triple D, Food network,Comet Ping Pong  (Read 2693 times)

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Triple D, Food network,Comet Ping Pong
« on: July 12, 2010, 01:36:55 PM »
Did anyone catch the Diners, Drive ins, Dives show last week at Comet Ping Pong in DC? When they were making the dough the last item was his secret ingredient. It was dry, in a bowl and maybe tan in color. He said it was to give the dough a little chew. Not sure if I got it right because I couldn't give the show my full attention. Anyway I'm curious what that ingredient could be.  ???

Also I noticed after the dough was stretched out he gave it a little salt and pepper before adding any toppings. Anyone out there do that. Not something I've done but would like any comments.

I missed the rerun so I can't give any better details. It looked like an interesting pizza, calzone place. He did a white clam and mentioned New Haven CT as an inspiration. Missed the guy's name who did all the dishes.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Re: Triple D, Food network,Comet Ping Pong
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 06:41:50 PM »
Didn't he say it was diastatic malt??

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 07:07:43 PM »
If he did I missed it. All I heard was secret ingredient.

Offline Shaklee3

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 09:54:10 PM »
It was probably vital wheat gluten.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 12:44:59 PM »
Semolina maybe?  I always use some in my dough (20%).

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »

That's what I thought he said.
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 07:46:03 PM »
Fazzari, Shaklee3, Tscarborugh, and Art, thanks for the info. Looks like it's diastatic malt. It appears it is a product that a home baker like me wouldn't ordinarily use. Can't say I've seen it mentioned in recipes posted on the forum. As I said I was curious about what it was. Thanks all.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 07:56:15 PM »
apizza,

I have discussed diastatic malt on several occasions in relation to recipes. The term is also defined in the forum's Pizza Glossary at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_glossary.html#D.

Peter

Offline Shaklee3

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 11:10:50 PM »
Pete, what effect does non-diastatic have over diastatic? I read the glossary, but I'm looking for a more textural/flavor description.

Online scott123

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 12:08:50 AM »
Shaklee3, I'm not Peter, but I can answer that question.

Non-diastatic malt is basically just sugar (maltose), while diastatic malt is sugar + enzymes.  The enzymes break down the damaged starch in the flour into simpler sugars for the yeast to consume.  The enzymes also, if given enough time, break down the gluten in the flour as well.

All grain seeds have a self destructive/catabolic process whereby they convert their constituent components (starch/protein) to sugar as food for the growing seedling.  Enzymes are the demolition crew that slowly slice the larger molecules into smaller more digestible ones.  Breadmaking capitalizes on this natural self digestion by swapping out the growing seedling (the germ) with growing yeast. Enzymes aren't generated in large quantities in grain seeds until sprouting occurs, but once sprouting does begin it tends to be irreversible, so they harvest pre-sprouting enzyme poor wheat and combine it with enzyme rich malted (sprouted and dried) diastatic barley. It's basically a way of taking a fairly unpredictable natural process and splitting it up into separate components so that it can be tightly controlled.

Diastatic malt adds enzymes, so, by adding diastatic malt, you're breaking down the flour faster.  Most flours have diastatic malt added already, so more generally isn't necessary. It can be used to take non malted flours (such as Caputo) and make them more enzymatically active. Too much diastatic malt and you can end up with a gummy crust. Both diastatic and non diastatic malt contain sugar and sugar promotes browning, although the diastatic version because of the enzymes, is going to promote browning, as well as, if fermented long enough, weaker doughs.

I'm not sure that this is relative to this discussion, but there's a chance that diastatic malt might be the key in ramping the enzyme activity for a better emergency dough.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 12:26:09 AM by scott123 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 10:01:28 AM »
Shaklee3

To add to what scott123 has said, you can read more about malts at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8308.msg71658/topicseen.html#msg71658. Also, you can see some of the effects of nondiastatic malt on crust/crumb coloration by checking the links in Reply 7 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7770.msg66758.html#msg66758.

Peter

Offline Shaklee3

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 11:09:44 AM »
Thanks for all the information. I think I need to buy some to try it out and see how it tastes.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 03:54:09 PM »
This is all pretty interesting. Scott123 mentioned that most flours have diastatic malt added. Is that what the ingredient "malted barley flour" is that is listed on KAAP flour?
Thanks for all the info.

Online scott123

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 04:48:34 PM »
This is all pretty interesting. Scott123 mentioned that most flours have diastatic malt added. Is that what the ingredient "malted barley flour" is that is listed on KAAP flour?
Thanks for all the info.

Yes

Malted barley flour = diastatic malt.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 04:52:25 PM »

apizza,

For some sources, see Reply 13 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10013.msg87762/topicseen.html#msg87762.

Peter

pizzapan