Author Topic: Tears of Joy? Oven Question....  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Humble Pie

Tears of Joy? Oven Question....
« on: July 13, 2010, 08:51:04 PM »
Though I have been lurking for months, this is my first post. I made a wonderful pizza yesterday in my home oven. The oven is an older one, and my temperature gun shows the stone at 600 degrees when I place the pie on it. To get there, I let the oven run for 1 hour at 500 degrees. My problem is this: after we ate, our eyes kept burning and tearing. We assume it is due to the high oven temperature but are not sure. The oven was clean, and no smoke or burnt cheese conditions occurred. Because so many on this site do this with their oven, I was wondering if anyone has experienced this, or has any thoughts about it. Here is a picture of the pizza that caused so many tears...

Offline sear

Re: Tears of Joy? Oven Question....
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 08:58:12 AM »
Though I have been lurking for months, this is my first post. I made a wonderful pizza yesterday in my home oven. The oven is an older one, and my temperature gun shows the stone at 600 degrees when I place the pie on it. To get there, I let the oven run for 1 hour at 500 degrees. My problem is this: after we ate, our eyes kept burning and tearing. We assume it is due to the high oven temperature but are not sure. The oven was clean, and no smoke or burnt cheese conditions occurred. Because so many on this site do this with their oven, I was wondering if anyone has experienced this, or has any thoughts about it. Here is a picture of the pizza that caused so many tears...

the pizza pic is to small for analysis but i dont think it has anything to do with your eyes burning.

this is not normal, is this a gas oven ?

" Improperly vended appliances can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Symptoms of
   carbon monoxide poisoning may include on or more of the following: eye irritation,
   headaches, dizziness, sleepiness or excessive moisture buildup on the inside
   of windows."

buceriasdon

Re: Tears of Joy? Oven Question....
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 09:26:30 AM »
Was the stone new and unseasoned?

pizzapan