Author Topic: "buf" brand buffalo mozzarella  (Read 236 times)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
"buf" brand buffalo mozzarella
« on: August 08, 2014, 06:18:55 PM »
Anyone seen and/or tried this stuff?  I saw it on the shelves of Whole Foods today when I was prowling around.

It looks exclusive to Whole Foods, at least for now.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.528966520543020.1073741954.167931826646493&type=1

I am not familiar with pricing for Buffalo mozzarella - this stuff is $18 per pound.  Is that typical?  really high?

- Mitch

Offline TXCraig1

Re: "buf" brand buffalo mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 06:27:56 PM »
Costco is a lot less - $12 for 500g.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 07:12:25 PM »
Thanks.  I should have caught the other thread where the costco pricing is discussed.  I may be there on Tuesday anyway and, if we declare Tuesday to be pizza day, may pick some up.

With regards to taste, etc would appreciate any experience in the "buf".  I don't want to go to costco just for this. The gas $ offsets the price, blah blah. ........

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 07:53:43 PM »
this stuff is $18 per pound.

$9.99/7oz = $22.83/lb
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 10:14:53 PM »
Oops and duh. Thx    :-[

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 06:50:21 PM »
I pay a lot more than that for some cheeses, but I don't normally put them on pizza or buy them by the pound.  I will try some of that the next time I fire the oven if they have it here at WF.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 07:13:39 PM »
I pay a lot more than that for some cheeses, but I don't normally put them on pizza or buy them by the pound.  I will try some of that the next time I fire the oven if they have it here at WF.
Tom, what is the highest temp you have ever cooked Qaxaca cheese on a pizza?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 03:48:21 PM »
Went to Costco today.  No buffalo mozzarella.... :'(

So, rather than go traveling from store to store, I bought their Galbani Fresh Mozzarella - 3 X 1/2 pound packages for a total of $6.99.  Pretty good.  It has been awhile since I actually tried the cheese itself so we'll see about this.

Addendum:

Grrrrr.....

I took a look at the Galbani, thinking about freezing it since there was so much.  The expiration date was August 6 (today being the 12th).  Geez, this is Costco - you know, high volume, rapid turnover, standards, etc.  I called the store to advise them to pull the stuff off the shelves before they sold anymore.  It will go back for a refund next time I am there, even if it is green.

So, starting out with thinking about buffalo mozzarella, settling for the Galbani, I was now facing settling for the Trader Joe's brick mozzarella that was in the fridge (the stuff's not bad at all, but there is a principle in here somewhere).  We headed to Safeway for other stuff and I came across "Angelo & Franco" fresh mozzarella.  BBQChuck, here in the forums seems to like it and a couple of others have been at least neutral sounding. 

We'll find out!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 05:56:15 PM by mitchjg »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 06:29:54 PM »
Mitch,
It`s either the Galbani or the Belgios/something that gets very bad reviews here doesn`t it?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 06:33:51 PM »
If I recall correctly, from reading a bunch of threads - My impression is the Begioso (spelling?) is not like very much by most.  But, the Galbani is at least OK for most.  Galbani is now owned by Precious (or the other around) - they rebranded Precious to Galbani.