Author Topic: Who uses Mozzarella di Bufala?  (Read 9419 times)

Online Matthew

Re: Who uses Mozzarella di Bufala?
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 08:50:23 AM »
Thanks for the info Matt.  I have read in other places on the net the very same thing about the rarity of "real" SMs and the closest thing we have to a real SM is the Stanilaus Alta Cucina. 

I agree totally.  Alta Cucina are better than any San Marzano's that I have tried.  They are picked, prepared & canned within 4 hours.  A+ in my books.

Matt

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 09:27:34 PM »
The more I taste different mozzarella, the more I am convinced it is worth the rub to make your own from raw milk.

If I am not mistaken, Mangieri did in fact switch over to the USA mozzarella di bufala made in California by the time he closed UPN citing that the inconsistency of procurring the Campanian product was a main factor in that decision....in addition to the US product becoming a more consistent product.

Paulie was getting his fior-di-latte locally from a person in Brooklyn last time we talked about it, but I also know he was thinking about switching. I am not at liberty to say where he was considering switching to. --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 09:58:13 PM »
fwiw I tried the garafolo bufula from costco this past weekend and am happy to report that it is worth every penny of the 10.99 a lb.  it is excellent and propels a simple pizza like a margerita to levels that at least for me cannot be acieved with cows milk cheeses available to me here in southern NH.  I was pleasantly suprised to find a firm fresh cheese that did not need a lot of doctoring to not weep water during the bake. -marc

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 10:38:39 PM »
I went to Costco and Sams this past weekend looking for the Garafolo and sadly neither of them carry it here in NM.  The only Mozz they both carry is the Belgioso.  "Oso" sad.  Desperate for something new I picked up a loaf of goat's cheese.   But not before checking the forum for advice.  Having read a few positive reviews I said why not?  I started imagining some exoctic combinations of toppings that would go perfect with goat cheese.  A white sauce perhaps?  fennel sausage?  wild mushrooms? Keep in mind, I pretty sure I haven't had the pleasure of goat's cheese before. 

My wife and I discovered that we do not like goat's cheese.  I tasted some fresh and then some melted and both had that funky gamey scent to it.  Into the trash it went.  I wish I could have passed it onto someone who really enjoys it.   :(

Offline havanahead

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 12:37:02 PM »
I believe the cheese that UPN was using is called Bubalus Bubalis Mozzarella and they are a producer in Gardena Ca. 
Bubalus Bubalis: http://realmozzarella.com/contact.html  Tel: (310) 515-0500
I have picked this up product from the Costco in Fountain Valley Ca., although more recently they have been stocking the Garafolo cheese.  I have personally used the Bubalus Bubalis Mozzarella and it melted beautifully and was delicious on my pizza.

Cheers, Fred

cornicione54

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 01:00:32 PM »
I too have tried the Garofalo mozzarella on several occasions and was frustrated at the inconsistency. It's a shame because it can be an excellent product when it's relatively fresh. I suspect, as with most bufala, it's an issue of supply channels and date stamping rather than the producer.

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 11:39:18 PM »
why is there not an import company which is bringing over fiore di latte from Italy?
I mean you can pretty much buy everything else why not pizza cheese?
vacumm packed, or frozen I mean it still has to be better than local crap they are using at dominos or some other joint.. no??

Offline Tory

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 02:15:24 AM »
I've used it a couple times. I usually get the same result regardless of who made the cheese.  Bufala mozzarella is ok. I'm not sure there's enough benefit from it to justify the price. Yeah, it really adds a stringiness. But in terms of flavor, uhhhh. Its not any different than a package of "Precious" brand mozzarella. I'm just not that impressed with bufala mozzarella.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 04:01:21 AM »
there is something wrong here.  stringy, and nothing special.....  hmm.   I consider buffala a waste on slower baked pizzas, where I think a good quality normal mozzarella actually tastes better.  It really shines on pizzas baked at 3 minutes or less, and at those speeds, in my opinion, nothing can compare.   Maybe you used it in a normal 550 degree oven?    Also, I have never found stringy buffala.   Are you sure you had the real thing?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 04:07:14 AM by scott r »

Offline Williamgag

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2010, 03:51:39 PM »
lol mozzarella di bufala IS the way to go ... i mean, its the real thing. But one thing seems pretty obvious, you guys seems limited in choice of mozzarella di bufala. In Montreal we have like 8 different brands at the average supermarket. I think its amazing texture and everything. Another option which is fun in fact is to make your own mozzarella di bufala which seems harder but isnt really. You guys should try, its fun. BUT finding Bufalo's milk is hard unless you live on the east coast

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2010, 04:32:04 PM »
I've been using mozzarella di bufula from Fairway Market, here in north jersey.  They fly it in from Campania. The producer is Fattoria Paoletti.   At times it has been past its prime and garbage, but when it's fresh it's pretty darned good. 

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010, 09:03:08 PM »
I've been using mozzarella di bufula from Fairway Market, here in north jersey.  They fly it in from Campania. The producer is Fattoria Paoletti.   At times it has been past its prime and garbage, but when it's fresh it's pretty darned good. 

what are you paying  for that?

past it's prime and garbage? do you send it back? how can the distributor even pass that garbage onto you?

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2010, 02:59:41 PM »
what are you paying  for that?

past it's prime and garbage? do you send it back? how can the distributor even pass that garbage onto you?
Don't worry, I take care of it.

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2010, 12:53:38 AM »
anyone know in what quality containers or bags  the pizzerias are getting their bufula?
I can only seem to find the small containers of 7oz. I can't believe they are getting like 100containers of those small containers delivered.
anyone know any professional suppliers for a pizzeria?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2010, 12:48:41 PM »
Found a 3rd brand of bufala mozz in Albuquerque yesterday.  Gave it a try and have to say that I like it a lot better than the TJs stuff (reply #3 of this thread). 

It's the Ambrosi brand and goes for about $1/oz.  It reminded me of TJ's burrata in texture.  The ball had a very soft center and the outter shell was more dense.   Melted great and tasted great with a bit less tang than the TJ's brand.  Anyone else use this stuff before?

Chau

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2011, 08:26:55 PM »
How do you pronounce bufala? I never heard it out loud.
Is it like boo fa la? or buff a la?
 :-D
-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2011, 08:28:40 PM »
How do you pronounce bufala? I never heard it out loud.
Is it like boo fa la? or buff a la?
 :-D

I say Boo fa lah.  lol

Chau

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2013, 07:10:01 PM »
My source of Ambrosia bufala stopped carrying it long agao but as I was perusing their cheese aisle today,  I ran across a new brand Tre Stelle.  The cheese is in a plastic wrap packaging and I can actually squeeze it and it feels very soft.  Can't wait to try it tonight.  Anyone else tried this brand?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2013, 09:03:14 PM »
I am very luck to live in a city with a large italian population and I have tried about 15 brands of buffala.  I have never seen that one... def let us know how it turns out!   

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2013, 09:26:06 PM »
Costco has it for $11.99 for half a kilo (17.6 ounces).  That's all I use.  They fly it in weekly. 

pizzapan