Author Topic: Who uses Mozzarella di Bufala?  (Read 9186 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Who uses Mozzarella di Bufala?
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2013, 10:31:44 PM »
PV Orlando food imports the Lupara Buff mozz. thats what Amano uses their smoke Buff mozz is amazing as well!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2013, 10:43:24 PM »
This Tre Stelle bufala melted great and has a great texture and flavor.  Expensive though at $8/4oz ball. 

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2013, 12:32:55 AM »
I've tried the tre stele Chau. I like garafalo better though. Tre stelle is always really soft and almost soupy. The expire date is by day of the year -today is 230.
Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2013, 12:39:57 AM »
I've tried the tre stele Chau. I like garafalo better though. Tre stelle is always really soft and almost soupy. The expire date is by day of the year -today is 230.
Bill

Bill I am envious that I don't have access to Garafalo.  I bet it's priced better than Tre Stelle.  It was very soft and I drained it well before using it.  I really like the soft texture and how it melted.   

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2013, 04:58:41 PM »
I never know what brand or even if our WF will have any buff. mozz.  sometimes it's garafalo and I always like that one.  they had Tre Stelle too recently so I did a side by side comparison.  I probably didn't drain it enough as the Garafolo doesn't really need that.  I also thought the tre stelle tasted a little like cottage cheese.  they were both about 2 weeks away from expire date. 
bill

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2013, 11:10:32 AM »
Bill I am envious that I don't have access to Garafalo.  I bet it's priced better than Tre Stelle.  It was very soft and I drained it well before using it.  I really like the soft texture and how it melted.

JT,
I know you have Costco in ABQ.  What fresh water mozz do they have at your store?  I've found another mozz at Costco, Angelo & Franco (not buf) I have been using in place of Garafalo that I like very much.  But it could be a local Socal only stocked product, since it's made locally.

Offline Tory

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2014, 06:37:26 PM »
I've tried Bufala mozzarella, and I was only marginally impressed by it. I certainly wasn't impressed enough to keep using it though.

I've used the Galbani "Precious" brand of 'fresh' mozzarella (logs) and I've found that they are an excellent and suitable substitute.

My advice would be to save your money and just use the Galbani "Precious" fresh / sliced mozzarella. It's at least half the cost of
the Bufala mozzarella, it melts the same and tastes the same.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2014, 06:45:37 PM »
My advice would be to save your money and just use the Galbani "Precious" fresh / sliced mozzarella. It's at least half the cost of
the Bufala mozzarella, it melts the same and tastes the same.

I would agree that one can make a fine pizza with several of the widely available fresh mozzarella cheeses, but melts and tastes the same as buffalo mozz? That I don't agree with. I'd never use anything but Buffalo mozz if it wasn't such a pain in the rear for me to get it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2014, 10:02:19 AM »
PV Orlando food imports the Lupara Buff mozz. thats what Amano uses their smoke Buff mozz is amazing as well!
John
I picked up the Lupara mozzarella di bufala and was shocked to see the use-by date in 2015. 12/31/2015 to be exact! 

The container says it's a "frozen product" and it's sold in the refrigerated section. I wonder how long it can hold unfrozen until it starts going south.

If this tastes anything like what they use at A Mano I'll be very pleased.

Online Gosseni

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2014, 03:14:08 PM »
There is really no substitute for BM. You can get close. But it is not the same. Try picking up BM curd and making your own. Fine.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2014, 03:25:31 PM »
Try picking up BM curd and making your own. Fine.

Where did you find buffalo curd?
Pizza is not bread.

Online Gosseni

Who uses Mozzarella di Bufala?
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2014, 09:02:26 PM »
Hi Craig,
Try these guys for regular curd... "http://www.dibruno.com/fresh-mozzarella-curd.html"
For the non-buf cheese.... These guys are good. "http://www.cedargrovecheese.com/ArtisanCheese.html"
These guys have the Bufalo "http://fadairy.com/mozzcurd.html"

Where did you find buffalo curd?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:10:27 PM by Gosseni »