Author Topic: Latest "Near-politan" with Caputo 00 a Metro flour  (Read 708 times)

Offline tugboat

• Pizza Hack
Latest "Near-politan" with Caputo 00 a Metro flour
« on: January 04, 2016, 11:29:09 AM »
I was curious about Caputo flour and after seeing that they made an "a Metro" flour for lower temp ovens I thought I'd give it a shot. I bought a re-bagged 5 lb bag (that looked like a bag of coke when I opened the box  :-D ) and since my parents arrived to help out with my infant son since my wife is away at a conference I figure that I'd bake them pizza after a long drive down. This is my first experience with both Caputo and my new Kitchen Aid stand mixer. The pizza ended up good but different than with AP or bread flour. The crust was softer but not in a bad way (more chew?). I got a couple char spots (leoparding?) on top but not a lot of browning (This what Neopolitan pizza supposed to do I guess? I see a lot of pale-ish Neapolitan pies). The bottom was nicely charred but I didn't get a picture. Crust was delicious. The pizza went fast so no good pictures and the pie shown kinda oblonged on me when I was putting it in the oven. That pie also had a bit too much sauce I think.

Baked on a 1/2" steel under a hot broiler, preheated for an hour at 550. Dough was fermented with Ischia culture at room temperature for 20 hours. TxCraig's starter calculator has been spot on for the two times I've used it so far.

I guess it turned out OK. I'll let those more knowledgeable critique it!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 12:24:25 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Latest "Near-politan" with Caputo 00 a Metro flour
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 12:11:25 PM »
I know they say the Metro for use at temps below 700F, but I don't think that necessarily means for short bakes under 700F. Neapolitan pizza doesn't need to be leoparded, but it shouldn't be pale. I think you might like it better and get better browning if you added a small amount (0.25% of the flour weight) of low-diastatic malt powder and work up from there. I think your sauce quantity looks fine.

http://nybakers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=60
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline tugboat

• Pizza Hack
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 01:27:09 PM »
Would mixing in a bit of AP or bread flour achieve the same results or would it take away too much from the Caputo-y-news? I see quite a few people around here mixing flours. Do grocery stores carry low diastatic malt powder?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 02:31:31 PM »
Would mixing in a bit of AP or bread flour achieve the same results or would it take away too much from the Caputo-y-news? I see quite a few people around here mixing flours. Do grocery stores carry low diastatic malt powder?

You could try mixing AP with the Caputo. It would probably help a little. You might start at 25% AP.

I doubt you will find diastatic malt in a grocery store. I got it from the link posted above. Others here have as well.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline tugboat

• Pizza Hack
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 02:36:18 PM »
I just ordered some from your link. I'll try it out and see how it goes!

Offline AltaCaliforniaPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 09:07:37 PM »
Tugboat, here's my suggestion, having done broiler pies for a couple years off and on, get the baking steel as close as possible to the coils. If you can get the steel within 3/4 of an inch do that. This may take putting the steel on a couple baking sheets that are on top of the top rack. Then, right before putting the pizza in remove the baking sheets so the steel drops down to the top rack. This is a dangerous maneuver but very doable with a bit of practice and several heat pads. The pie will appreciate the extra 50 or 100 degrees. It will get more rise, browning, and leoparding.

Offline tugboat

• Pizza Hack
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 07:54:38 AM »
Tugboat, here's my suggestion, having done broiler pies for a couple years off and on, get the baking steel as close as possible to the coils. If you can get the steel within 3/4 of an inch do that. This may take putting the steel on a couple baking sheets that are on top of the top rack. Then, right before putting the pizza in remove the baking sheets so the steel drops down to the top rack. This is a dangerous maneuver but very doable with a bit of practice and several heat pads. The pie will appreciate the extra 50 or 100 degrees. It will get more rise, browning, and leoparding.

I've tossed that around too. I have it at the second from top level but was thinking about putting it at the top level. It should only be an inch or two away from the broiler at that height when the pie rises. I might try both next time since the malt has shipped. Or should I just try raising the steel next time?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:56:32 AM by tugboat »

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 05:21:06 PM »
Definitely go top rack or closer if you're going for a nearly Napoletana. I'd recommend an IR thermometer gun so you can figure out how various movements of the steel affect the temperature. The steel takes quite a long time to preheat so have it in there for a good 45 min or hour prior to pie time. Broilers turn off when the high temp. is reached, but I had the idea recently of pouring the heat out of the oven by opening the door periodically. The steel would retain heat pretty well while the ambient temp. in the oven would drop. This would cause the broiler to turn back on.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:29:20 PM by AltaCaliforniaPizza »

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 06:04:32 PM »
Alta,

That works for me..When broiling, I prop open the door a bit with a cheap metal; serving spoon (with rubber grip in handle to avoid  getting burned. Does the trick.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 08:09:19 PM »
That's good to know JB!

Offline tugboat

• Pizza Hack
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 09:44:22 PM »
Alta,

That works for me..When broiling, I prop open the door a bit with a cheap metal; serving spoon (with rubber grip in handle to avoid  getting burned. Does the trick.

I do this with a wooden spoon. Works like a charm.