Author Topic: JVP123's Perfect Pizza Quest  (Read 23876 times)

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
Re: JVP123's Perfect Pizza Quest
« Reply #350 on: December 20, 2015, 05:41:29 PM »
I was chatting with Mary Ann about this...no matter how bright or dim your lighting, my thought is that the key to getting the pix we're liking so much is that the light is coming from above and ever-so-slightly behind the subject...by leaving some parts of the photo a little on the dark side, it allows the highlights to pop for us. If you look at Jeff's setup, you'll see that the light is always abpve and slightly behind the pizza...ie coming from opposite the lens and higher.  Am I right , Jeff?  An important part of lighting is knowing where it should be dark :)

You are right! The light comes from over head for the most part from the existing fluorescents in my kitchen … maybe its a tiny bit back as you say.  I'm not intentionally looking to make certain parts of the pizza dark - that is happening naturally. 
Jeff

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #351 on: December 21, 2015, 09:33:13 AM »
And working out very well :)

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #352 on: January 08, 2016, 02:24:52 PM »
Whoa. Jeff, your pizza looks incredible. Truly.

I'm pretty sure Adam Kuban shoots most of his pies straight down with a phone and they always look awesome to me.

Regarding that 👆 … Yeah, I do almost 100% overhead ("bird's eye view") shots with iPhone 5s, no flash. The iPhone has deep depth-of-field (pretty much everything is in focus in a shot), so to concentrate the eye on the pizza (rather than something in the background), I minimize what's in the background by leaving only table or countertop there. Plus, I just like the effect of seeing a circle framed nicely by a square (since I post most of my pics on Instagram these days). I try to shoot in daylight if possible. My best pics happen when I can shoot with available daylight on an overcast day, since the clouds diffuse the sunlight — no harsh shadows or high contrast. If I have to shoot at night, it ends up being some combo of CFL + soft-white LED in the kitchen. It's not ideal, but I do a lot of editing on the phone with the SnapSeed app.

Blah blah blah.
¡Hasta la pizza!

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #353 on: January 09, 2016, 08:31:02 PM »
Whoa. Jeff, your pizza looks incredible. Truly.

Regarding that 👆 … Yeah, I do almost 100% overhead ("bird's eye view") shots with iPhone 5s, no flash. The iPhone has deep depth-of-field (pretty much everything is in focus in a shot), so to concentrate the eye on the pizza (rather than something in the background), I minimize what's in the background by leaving only table or countertop there. Plus, I just like the effect of seeing a circle framed nicely by a square (since I post most of my pics on Instagram these days). I try to shoot in daylight if possible. My best pics happen when I can shoot with available daylight on an overcast day, since the clouds diffuse the sunlight — no harsh shadows or high contrast. If I have to shoot at night, it ends up being some combo of CFL + soft-white LED in the kitchen. It's not ideal, but I do a lot of editing on the phone with the SnapSeed app.

Blah blah blah.

Thanks for the compliment on my pizzas Adam.  I'm a big fan and that's really nice to hear coming from you. 

Regarding the pizza photography ... I've been saying all along that natural light is the best.  Nice soft daylight coming thru a window is ideal.  Unfortunately,  I rarely make pizza during daylight hours so that's not usually an option for me.  I also agree that shooting over head is very graphic and a great way to shoot pizza.  Your bar pies look especially nice when photographed that way.
Jeff

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #354 on: January 09, 2016, 10:29:07 PM »
Yeah, now that it's getting darker early, I don't get te nice light as often as I'd like either. I've thought about setting up a light box, but I think my wife would kill me. Hahaha.
¡Hasta la pizza!