Author Topic: Firewood Jackpot  (Read 222 times)

Offline mikeatl

• I Love Pizza!
Firewood Jackpot
« on: June 28, 2016, 02:18:48 PM »
Since I placed my order for the Pizzone I have been on the hunt for "affordable" firewood.  Crawling CL, asking friends, etc.  Then I remembered that one of my clients, a landscape supplier sells firewood.  I dropped him an email and he told me that he had plenty of dry oak firewood and to come on by. 

So I dropped by yesterday and told him what I was looking to do with the wood and his face lit up.  He told me that he has 10 bags of "kindling" that he had collected while sifting through his delivery last year.  Because apparently firewood buyers are real DIVA's as he put it.   Anyway, I walked away with perfectly sized and seasoned oak and cherry wood for free.  Cant get much more affordable than that.

So it may be worth asking your resources if these sizes exist in their piles as well..

Mike

Offline JD

Re: Firewood Jackpot
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 03:28:12 PM »
Awesome deal!
JD's NY Style
JD's Neapolitan using my Pizza Party WFO

You cannot teach experience.

-Josh

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 04:34:38 PM »
You got a great deal!
Where I deer hunt in Arkansas there is a lumber mill just across the valley from me where they process nothing but hardwood. Local residents go to the mill regularly to buy the trim scraps (devoid of bark) generated when they trim the boards to length. A pickup load (1-rick, more or less) costs almost nothing. Take a look around you, if there is a lumber mill close by you might want to talk to them...just a thought.
We also have a transfer station here in Manhattan, KS where trash is taken. As part of this they have an area where local residents and contractors can bring trees that they have cut down as well as storm damaged branches/limbs. Since we have a wood burning furnace I make regular trips to the transfer station to sort through their assortment of trees and limbs, with my chain saw in hand I can harvest my winter supply of oak (about 1.5 cords) over the summer for nothing but my time and the cost of gas for the saw.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 05:32:33 PM »
Score!

Offline mikeatl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 05:49:04 PM »
Tom
Those are some great suggestions as well.  I have always had good luck with persistence.  And in this case I was really struggling with paying almost $300 for a half cord of kiln dried wood. 

I'm curious to know what others are paying for wood.  I'm in Metro Atlanta.

Mike

wordpress