Author Topic: 2 ingredient dough - Greek yogurt and self rising flour  (Read 5533 times)

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
Re: 2 ingredient dough - Greek yogurt and self rising flour
« Reply #240 on: November 02, 2014, 02:30:49 PM »
If you mix all the dry ingredients and put them in a jar or empty flour bag, call it self rising flour and get back to two ingredients.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #241 on: November 03, 2014, 04:41:21 AM »
I did not get around to mixing a GM self-rising flour, Chobani Greek non-fat yogurt and IDY dough until late last evening.  This attempt used 100% yogurt because I was trying for a little wetter dough.  I had no idea of what amount of IDY to add because I knew the yogurt would be really cold right out of the fridge, and I am was not sure how/if the IDY will ferment a dough with so much yogurt.  The dough was mixed with the flat beater first and then the dough hook.  Total of both mix times were 9 minutes.  The dough did not feel sticky at all.  The final dough felt nice, but when balled it was a little rough.  The final dough temperature was 57.4 degree F, which is really a low final dough temperature.  The dough was place in the fridge at 11:30 PM.  To me the Chobani non-fat Greek yogurt tastes and feels a little more creamy than the Fage non-fat Greek yogurt.  The pH reading of the dough right out of the mixer was taken.

The weights of the flour and yogurt were 269.99 grams.  The IDY amount was 1.08 gram. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #242 on: November 03, 2014, 09:30:47 AM »
Norma,

I wasn't sure how you wanted to go on the IDY, but I was thinking of 0.40% IDY based on my own experience in cooler weather. As I interpret your numbers, you are using 0.40% IDY. Since your finished dough temperature was so low, it may take longer for the dough to ferment, but if you use your warming unit you might end up OK.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #243 on: November 03, 2014, 06:51:03 PM »
Norma,

I wasn't sure how you wanted to go on the IDY, but I was thinking of 0.40% IDY based on my own experience in cooler weather. As I interpret your numbers, you are using 0.40% IDY. Since your finished dough temperature was so low, it may take longer for the dough to ferment, but if you use your warming unit you might end up OK.

Peter

Peter,

I had wanted to try a 2 day cold ferment, but was not sure about the amount of IDY to try since the high amount of yogurt is being used.  I guess the yogurt doesn't really matter.  Thanks for telling me you were thinking about 0.40% IDY based on your own experience in cooler weather.  I did use 0.40% IDY. 

This is how the “poppy seed” spacings were at 12:00 PM today.  When I was ready to leave market today the spacings had moved to 1 ¼”.  I am wondering why the pH reading changed so much.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #244 on: November 03, 2014, 07:56:20 PM »
Peter,

This is how the “poppy seed” spacings were at 12:00 PM today.  When I was ready to leave market today the spacings had moved to 1 ¼”.  I am wondering why the pH reading changed so much.

Norma
Norma,

The pH increased by only a bit over 4%, which is not a lot. Maybe the baking soda in the GM self-rising flour is neutralizing the acids in the yogurt and in the GM flour, but not at a particularly fast rate because of the cold.

I forgot to ask you earlier if the Chobani Greek yogurt has any thickeners in it. It seems to me that when I looked at Chobani yogurt labels while I was at the supermarket last week I saw a thickener in one of their products. I raise this point only because you thought that the dough felt more creamy.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #245 on: November 03, 2014, 08:49:53 PM »
Norma,

The pH increased by only a bit over 4%, which is not a lot. Maybe the baking soda in the GM self-rising flour is neutralizing the acids in the yogurt and in the GM flour, but not at a particularly fast rate because of the cold.

I forgot to ask you earlier if the Chobani Greek yogurt has any thickeners in it. It seems to me that when I looked at Chobani yogurt labels while I was at the supermarket last week I saw a thickener in one of their products. I raise this point only because you thought that the dough felt more creamy.

Peter

Peter,

I did not think about maybe the baking soda in the GM self-rising flour is neutralizing the acids in the yogurt and in the GM flour. 

I do not see any thickeners in the Chobani Greek yogurt.  If you see one let me know.  I thought the Chobani Greek non-fat yogurt tasted creamier than the Fage Greek non-fat yogurt when eaten plain.  I did not mean that the dough felt more creamy.

The Chobani Tomato-Basil-Ricotta Pizza looks good to me.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #246 on: November 05, 2014, 09:22:44 AM »
These were the results when using the GM self-rising flour, Chobani non-fat yogurt and IDY.  The dough ball in the first photo was taken at 8:57 AM yesterday morning.  The dough ball was heated in the warming cabinet at about 1:00 PM.  It was then left to sit at room temperature for about 5 hrs. because I did not have time to make the pizza.

The dough ball still was very stiff in opening it, even though a 100% yogurt hydration was used.  When trying to stretch the skin after a little it wanted to get small tears in the skin.  They could easily be pushed together.  Starting at the photo 303 I got grease on the lens of my camera so that photo and the rest of the photos are a little blurry.  The rim did not still rise much at all.  The final pizza was good.  The flea market manager and a forum member and his family thought the pizza was good.  My granddaughter really liked this pizza.  The flea market manager wanted to purchase the rest of the pizza.  I took two slices home though and they got eaten fairly fast. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #247 on: November 05, 2014, 09:26:51 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #248 on: November 05, 2014, 09:28:15 AM »
Norma

Offline PrimeRib

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #249 on: November 22, 2014, 03:06:36 PM »
Gluten Free, or GF, this recipe came in really handy.  On very short notice, I needed to add a gluten free pie to my traditional pizza dough pies that I was making for a small dinner party.

It was my first attempt at a GF pie, and I know that they can be complicated, and I didn't have enough time to mess around with yeast. I thought of this recipe and picked up a box of King Arthur GF flour as well as some Greek yogurt.

I looked up a recipe for self rising flour, which is 1.25 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt to 1 cup of flour.  I mix up 200 g of my newly made self rising gluten free flour with 200 g of Greek yogurt in the Quisinart.

Here's where it gets tricky. Because the dough has no gluten, it remains tacky/sticky.  I let it sit for an hour hoping that it will firm up but it doesn't.  When it's time to cook the pizza, I cut a 12 inch circle of parchment paper and spray it with some oil. I roll out the dough onto the parchment paper and add the toppings. 

The Blackstone bottom stone is at 700f. I slide the pizza with parchment paper onto the stone and I can immediately see the parchment paper start to blacken. After 30 seconds, I can lift the pizza off the parchment paper and I remove the pizza from the oven. In the meantime, the parchment paper catches fire from the flame but quickly burns out. I then return the pizza to the oven and cook it for about 2 more minutes. 

All in all, I thought the gluten-free pizza turned out fine. It had a very slight grainy texture to it (which I understand comes from the rice flour component of the gluten-free flour) but otherwise it held up well with the toppings and I thought it tasted "good."  It was on the thinner side. Pictures are not so good as they were an afterthought.

For a simple gluten free pizza crust, this recipe is very simple and very quick to make with essentially no waiting before baking.