Author Topic: Pizza Anarchy  (Read 102163 times)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #1000 on: June 22, 2014, 10:19:58 PM »
It always ends up as reheated slices.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #1001 on: June 23, 2014, 10:45:12 AM »
I'm disappointed if there are no leftovers which seems to be more and more the case lately.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #1002 on: June 27, 2014, 11:37:54 PM »
I usually cook to "plus one" meaning I cook pizzas until everyone is done, then make one more with what I want on it.  I don't usually eat much or any when I am cooking, so that one is Mine.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #1003 on: June 27, 2014, 11:40:03 PM »
Other than parties where I'm turning out a steady flow of cheese and pepperoni pies, I think I've eaten at least one slice out of every pie I've ever made.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #1004 on: June 29, 2014, 12:29:19 PM »
I made this just now for Sunday brunch to watch Mexico get beat by the Netherlands team.  Basically a fried-on-the-pan dough, par-cooked with tomatoes, spices, and some grated Parm, then topped mid-bake with scrambled eggs mixed 50/50 with pico de gallo, a little mozzarella and finished with as much (pre-cooked) bacon as I could fit.  Washed down with Lingenfelter Canoe Paddler.  I wish I could photograph smells, because this thing is heavenly.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1005 on: June 29, 2014, 08:58:33 PM »
I made this just now for Sunday brunch to watch Mexico get beat by the Netherlands team.  Basically a fried-on-the-pan dough, par-cooked with tomatoes, spices, and some grated Parm, then topped mid-bake with scrambled eggs mixed 50/50 with pico de gallo, a little mozzarella and finished with as much (pre-cooked) bacon as I could fit.  Washed down with Lingenfelter Canoe Paddler.  I wish I could photograph smells, because this thing is heavenly.
Nice brunch pie Tom...really nice.   :chef:

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mvnolan

« Reply #1006 on: July 25, 2014, 03:45:58 PM »
You guys are KILLING ME!!!  Brown Santa just delivered my screens, cooling rack and dough docker today, and I am stuck at work.  Not to mention I have to cook freakin hot dogs for the kid's birthday tomorrow.  I want to make a pizza!!  I'm in Navasota, right between y'all, and the only pizza place in town is Pizza Hut, and it's the worst one I have ever seen.  Needless to say, frozen is the only way to go here.  Sunday is all about pizza making though.  I'm going to do my first cracker pepperoni and jalapeno.  I no longer have a stone, broke in the move to the new house, but I'm hoping my gas oven and the screens will do the trick.  I have this thing, which is technically a pizza oven, but never tried it out for that before.  We shall see, I'll post pictures.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #1007 on: July 26, 2014, 07:14:23 PM »
My lovely bride told me last night she wants a pulled pork and onion pizza.  Therefore, I will make it so.  I fired the oven for an hour today, and my across the street friend soaked up some heat as well.  I am doing a pork loin today for tomorrow, I made my dough a little differently, shooting for a little thicker crust in the middle.

5 cups bread flour, blend of HEB and KA.
1 cup semolina.
2-3/4 cups water
2 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp ADY

I made this one a little dry, and will give it bulk bench rise until it doubles, then ball it and bench rise until it gets close to where I want it, then into the fridge for tomorrow.

1.  Stuffed jalapenos dipped in BBQ sauce, done on the grill (coals from the oven) for a few then finished in the oven.
2. Marinated Brussels sprouts and mushrooms, from Mark (across the street).
3. Marinated shrimp from Mark.
4. Front right, counter clockwise, tilipia, stuffed japs, Brussels sprouts, corn in the husk.
5. Mark's tilipia.

Sorry for the crap photos, I killed my camera on July 4th.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #1008 on: July 26, 2014, 07:27:41 PM »
I need a Mark across the street.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #1009 on: July 26, 2014, 07:38:44 PM »
We exchange a lot of food.  He is more versatile than me, and also cooks more being retired.  It works well, he brings over a bowl full of something, and a couple days later I give him his bowl back filled with something.  His pizza concepts are way too Californian for me, though.

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #1010 on: July 26, 2014, 07:47:33 PM »
That's cool, I have kind of a neighborhood co-op too.  I bring pizza to the neighbors, and in exchange I get fresh pears, figs, tomatoes, organic eggs and homemade wine.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #1011 on: July 27, 2014, 06:25:54 PM »
Dough ball ready to dump, pork and onion, and PMO.  I also made a cheese and capers and a pepperoni.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1012 on: July 27, 2014, 06:37:35 PM »
Tom,

Do I dare ask what PMO stands for?

Peter

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #1013 on: July 27, 2014, 06:44:23 PM »
The Holy Trinity:  Pepperoni, Mushroom, and Onion.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #1014 on: August 23, 2014, 03:05:15 PM »
It is too hot for pizza, but I want pizza.  Made this at work this morning for tomorrow afternoon.

2.2lb of Caputo red bag  <-edited
Some water
1.5 tsp of salt
3/4 tsp of ADY

The first pic is after 8 hours of warm rise, the second is after I knock it down for another 5 or 8 hours of bulk rise.  I will then ball it and room temp it until tomorrow in a cooler at around 70 degrees.  For ingredients I have 7-11 tomatos, HEB deli whole milk mozzarella, pitted clamata olives, onion, mushrooms, proscuttio, center cut bacon, and fresh jalapenos.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 06:11:20 PM by Tscarborough »

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #1015 on: August 23, 2014, 03:44:48 PM »
It is too hot for pizza, but I want pizza.  Made this at work this morning for tomorrow afternoon.

2.2kg of Caputo red bag
Some water
1.5 tsp of salt
3/4 tsp of ADY

The first pic is after 8 hours of warm rise, the second is after I knock it down for another 5 or 8 hours of bulk rise.  I will then ball it and room temp it until tomorrow in a cooler at around 70 degrees.  For ingredients I have 7-11 tomatos, HEB deli whole milk mozzarella, pitted clamata olives, onion, mushrooms, proscuttio, center cut bacon, and fresh jalapenos.

Looks wetter than your usual dough?

What do you call this pizza? This member is looking for a name for a very similar pie: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=33674.msg334616#msg334616
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #1016 on: August 23, 2014, 04:29:21 PM »
It is pretty wet, 2-1/2 styrofoam coffee cups worth of water.  I was at work so I only had what I remembered to bring and that didn't include a scale or measuring cup.  I intend on tightening it up when I ball it with bench flour.

The pizzas I am planning on making are:

Clamata olives, onion, and proscuttio bits
mushroom and onion
slightly precooked bacon bits, onion and mushroom
onion and jap to take to work on Monday.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #1017 on: August 23, 2014, 06:19:11 PM »
I weighed the doughballs, it worked out to 69% hydration after I balled them.  4 balls @ 422g avg.

Folded once
Folded 6 more times and balled and divided
In the can

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #1018 on: August 24, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
I had to put them in the fridge to retard the balls, they blew up quick.  I made three pizzas and a calzone (my first ever on purpose).

1. Doughball out of the container.
2. Just mushrooms and mozzarela, the dough blew up in the oven too, so I had to make bigger pies for the other 2 (16").
3. Center cut bacon bits and clamata olives, with mozzarella, grated parm, and quesadillo cheese.
4.  The above in the oven.  As you can see I do not have much wriggle room with a 16" pie.
5. Diced proscuitto, onions, and fresh jalapenos, the the trio of cheeses.
6. Calzone with mushrooms, onions, olives, and mozzarella.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #1019 on: August 24, 2014, 10:08:07 PM »
Other than parties where I'm turning out a steady flow of cheese and pepperoni pies, I think I've eaten at least one slice out of every pie I've ever made.

Craig, I'm curious if you ever make big pizzas. I know you do mostly Neapolitan style which typically aren't that big, but do you ever make like a 16 inch pie or even bigger?  I guess you'd have to cook it at a lower temperature the bigger it got.  I've been making some 15 inch pies lately and I really like the bigger pizzas.