Author Topic: Pizza Anarchy  (Read 103979 times)

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
Re: Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #280 on: April 08, 2011, 11:19:05 PM »
Tscarborough, do you get your Caputo at Central Market, somewhere else in town, or do you get it from an online retailer? Just wondering if you have a source with a really good price.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #281 on: April 08, 2011, 11:40:11 PM »
Central Mark-up.  They are the only ones that have it and it is $3.29 for a kg, as opposed to my normal KABF at 2.2 kg for $3.18.

I am replacing an oven deck for a guy, and he uses Trumps AP bromated so I am hoping to buy a bag of that from him.

Offline Ronzo

• New Texian Brewery
« Reply #282 on: April 08, 2011, 11:52:23 PM »
Central Mark-up. 
  :-D >:D tru dat

They are the only ones that have it and it is $3.29 for a kg, as opposed to my normal KABF at 2.2 kg for $3.18.

I am replacing an oven deck for a guy, and he uses Trumps AP bromated so I am hoping to buy a bag of that from him.
I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Mandola's from time to time. I may be mistaken though.

I'm going to check out Restaurant Depot and see if they have some decent bread flour there in bulk.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #283 on: April 09, 2011, 10:35:57 AM »
Here it is 12 hours later, ready to be folded and balled.

The ball weighed 1420 grams, and the remaining bench flour weighed 110 g.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #284 on: April 09, 2011, 10:47:23 AM »
I weighed the remainder of the 1 kg bag, and I used 870 g of flour in the dough.  2-3/4 cups water is 649 grams for a ratio of  75%, if I did it right.

Tom,

The number you used for the water (22.9 ounces) is technically correct but the amount of flour seemed, and still seems, high to me, at 6.14 ounces per cup. I went to the Mass-Volume Conversion Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/ but the only 00 flour in the pull-down menu is the Caputo 00 Extra Blu. When I plugged in the 5 cups of flour and selected the Heavy flour Measurement Method, which is the method that produces the largest numbers, I got 27.961 ounces for the Extra Blu, or 5.59 ounces per cup (and a corresponding hydration value of 81.9%). The Heavy flour Measurement Method involves a lot of striking the counter with the measuring cup to be able to get more flour into it. It is not the most common method used by people. The flour millers like GM and resellers like King Arthur promote the Textbook method but, from what I have seen over the years, most people seem to use the Medium flour Measurement Method, which is usually executed by using the measuring cup to scoop flour out of its container just to the point of overflow and then levelling off the top with a straight edge or shaking the cup a bit to level it somewhat. Using the Medium method in the Mass-Volume Conversion Calculator yields a per cup weight of 5.04 ounces (and a corresponding hydration value of 91%).

I am not worried about your results. You know what you are doing and how to adjust things on the fly. I was just trying to ascertain how the dough you made was dense if the hydration values are as high as those I calculated. Of course, if you measure out flour differently than what I described, your results could certainly be different.

Peter

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #285 on: April 09, 2011, 11:44:59 AM »
Assuming that the package weighed 1 Kg, the weight of the 5 cups+bench flour used was 1000-110=890.
grams. 649 grams of water.  649/890=73% final balled hydration, correct?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #286 on: April 09, 2011, 11:48:13 AM »
I seem to have lost 119 grams along the way and that seems high for residue, but then, there usually is quite a bit left in the mixing bowl.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #287 on: April 09, 2011, 12:07:37 PM »
I seem to have lost 119 grams along the way and that seems high for residue....

It is anarchy.  You are forgiven.

P.S.  I enjoyed the video.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #288 on: April 09, 2011, 12:23:51 PM »
Assuming that the package weighed 1 Kg, the weight of the 5 cups+bench flour used was 1000-110=890.
grams. 649 grams of water.  649/890=73% final balled hydration, correct?

Tom,

Your math is correct but it sounds like you are presuming that a one kilo bag of the Caputo 00 flour after subtracting 110 grams for bench flour is 5 cups. If so, that would strike me as being a lot of flour to cram into 5 cups. If you said 7 cups of flour, that would seem closer to me. Which begs the question. If someone wanted to scale your recipe down to use say, two cups of flour, how would you tell them to measure it out and/or what weight of flour would go into a cup?

As a side test this morning, I used the Heavy flour Measurement Method to measure out a cup of bread flour (this was as a proxy for the Caputo 00 flour, which I do not have on hand), and it took a lot of counter poundings and additions of more flour after each pounding to get over 6 ounces of flour into the cup.

I am not saying that what you did is wrong. I am just trying to relate what you did to what I have learned about weights of flour measured out volumetrically.

Peter

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #289 on: April 09, 2011, 02:03:43 PM »
I just pour the flour into the measuring cup, no tamping, although I do shake it to level it.  Unfortunately my "recipes" are not really scalable or repeatable, nor are they meant to be.  I am more interested in relating how I do it, and how it can be done rather than providing set recipes to be followed.  Technique not tabulation.

I wish I had the skills and patience to create and perfect repeatable formulations, but I don't.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #290 on: April 09, 2011, 02:06:46 PM »
"Your math is correct but it sounds like you are presuming that a one kilo bag of the Caputo 00 flour after subtracting 110 grams for bench flour is 5 cups"

Oops, just caught this.  I did not weigh the flour for the dough, I used a measuring cup.  Later, I weighed what was left in the bag and it was 130 grams.  After folding and balling, 110 grams of flour remained.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 02:09:08 PM by Tscarborough »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #291 on: April 09, 2011, 02:22:59 PM »
Tom,

Thanks for the clarification. Actually, the Caputo 00 flours weigh more per cup than most other flours, apparently because of the fineness of the mill. I think most people would expect the reverse, possibly because of the lower protein content.

I actually very much enjoy the "anarchy" theme of this thread because it gives many people without scales or who don't like messing around with math hopes of being able to make some very good pizzas. An added fringe benefit is that they get to see some wonderful cheese, sauce and toppings ideas.

I hope this thread doesn't come to an end.

Peter

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #292 on: April 09, 2011, 05:00:53 PM »
Two sauces tonight, even though I am making only 6 pies (4 Caputo and 2 frozen balls that come highly recommended).

The first is a Marinara, from the top, clockwise:
Cento certified San Marzanos
Pink sea salt
Sugar
garlic
Black pepper
Chopped basil

Hit with the stick blender to a lumpy consistency, warmed enough to release the garlic and basil, then chilled.

The second is a cooked down sweet sauce, from the top, clockwise:
HEB tomato sauce
Black pepper
Pink sea salt
Oregano spice blend
Sugar
Clove flowers
Basil
Alepo pepper flakes in the middle

Blended smooth with the stick blender and low heat cooked for an hour.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #293 on: April 09, 2011, 05:26:09 PM »
The cheese blend.  I hate grating cheese.  20oz of Panela, 16oz of mozzeralla, and 8oz of Trugole on the recommendation of my local cheesemonger at Antonelli's.

Offline Ronzo

• New Texian Brewery
« Reply #294 on: April 09, 2011, 05:42:31 PM »
The cheese blend.  I hate grating cheese.  20oz of Panela, 16oz of mozzeralla, and 8oz of Trugole on the recommendation of my local cheesemonger at Antonelli's.
Never heard of Trugole before, but after looking it up, it's on my list of new cheeses to try now. I learn a lot from all you great cooks.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

buceriasdon

« Reply #295 on: April 09, 2011, 07:12:34 PM »
It does take a quite bit of patience to grate a cheese like Panela, I have to keep spraying my grater with Pam to get it to work and go slow.
Don

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #296 on: April 09, 2011, 09:04:22 PM »
Jeez, I am stuffed.  I don't usually eat much as I cook, but I did tonight.

The setup.  I bought a bar condiment tray for toppings, 20 bucks.
Left to right:
Mushrooms
Red japs and serranos
Cherry tomato halves
Green onion and shallots
White onion
Basil

Big tray, clockwise from upper left:
Precooked Italian sausage and onions
Pepperoni
Cheese
Sweet sauce
Marinara
Flour
Oregano spice blend in little green bowel.

The doughballs rose nicely, they are silky and pliable.  I did refrigerate them for a couple hours before use.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #297 on: April 09, 2011, 09:09:36 PM »
A filetti first, while the oven was too hot for my normal preference.  I may change my tune, this was a freakin good pizza.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 09:12:25 PM by Tscarborough »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #298 on: April 09, 2011, 09:16:54 PM »
Next up was the CINC-house's pizza, Italian sausage with onions and mushrooms.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #299 on: April 09, 2011, 09:17:31 PM »
A filetti first, while the oven was too hot for my normal preference.  I may change my tune, this was a freakin good pizza.

WOW. What a fantastic looking filetti pie. Very coal-oven. What was the temp, and how long was the bake? I may need to defy the doctor and do a mid week WFO session to try and duplicate this (with chiles and shallots, of course).

John

pizzapan