Author Topic: Pizza Anarchy  (Read 95151 times)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2010, 11:04:44 PM »
1. Tomatoes, black olive, baby portabellas, and shallots.
2. Italian sausage, artichoke hearts, shallots, garlic, and capers on the paprika dough.
3. Same thing showing the crust.
4. Baby portabellas, poblano peppers, oinion, and shallot.
5. Italian sausage, tomato, onion, poblano peppers.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:06:38 PM by Tscarborough »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2010, 11:07:43 PM »
I do not like the way we are forced to display photos here, it is time consuming and limiting.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2010, 12:53:23 PM »
3 day old pizza warmed up with the heat gun.  MmmmmmmMmm!

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2010, 11:47:12 PM »
Tscarborough, I gotta hand it to you - those look like some delicious pies.  I LOVE your creativity.  Can you comment more on how that paprika crust turned out?

also - I agree with you about the picture posting problems.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2010, 03:39:36 AM »
I do not like the way we are forced to display photos here, it is time consuming and limiting.

i bitch about this constantly.  i find it rather unprofessional and a major turn off to cap so low on so many aspects of uploading pics to a forum that thrives on pictures, to the point that i rarely upload any pictures i take to this site.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2010, 08:11:30 AM »
The paprika pie crust was very good.  I often put spices in the dough, but they seldom lend very much flavor to the finished product.  The paprika did.  The dough was very orange, but the crust was only slightly colored, and the flavor was fantastic.  The orange dough also showed more rise than the others, although I do not know why.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2010, 11:07:15 AM »

i bitch about this constantly.  i find it rather unprofessional and a major turn off to cap so low on so many aspects of uploading pics to a forum that thrives on pictures, to the point that i rarely upload any pictures i take to this site.

c0mpl3x,

You might want to send a note to Steve on this topic. He is an IT professional and may be able to explain the rationale behind the system now in place. Remember also that the forum is an open and free forum with the cost of running it being borne mainly by donations of members. So, there may be some economic considerations.

Peter

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2010, 11:27:21 AM »
Simple linking would be fine.  I understand that the board owner wants the pictures on the site to eliminate dead links which is fine, but the days of 640x480 pictures ended in 1998.  Online storage is for all intents and purposes nearly free.  A reasonable size limit would be 800x600 at about 550KB.  It is almost not worth the effort to have to re-size pics for this site alone; noting else I do is at that size.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:29:00 AM by Tscarborough »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2010, 11:57:39 AM »
And please don't take it to mean that I am ungrateful.  I appreciate the forum, the people, and the outstanding amount of help and guidance people are willing to give on this board.  If it was TOO much of a pain, I wouldn't be here after all.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2010, 08:59:09 PM »
These were 6 day old doughs (cooked on 10/21).  One I pressed out to 1/2" of the rim, the other all the way out.  Same dough, same ingredients (Moz and Sopressata), same oven (on a pan, no stone, 550 degrees for about 8 minutes)  and both cooked within minutes of each other.  The difference is obvious.  Both were very good.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:35:22 PM by Tscarborough »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2010, 09:03:47 PM »
This is a 9 day old dough, the last of the batch, the small paprika ball.  For toppings I did capers, chopped garlic, dried green onions, pimento, coarse black pepper, and sea salt over shredded moz, pressed out to the edge and cooked at 550  for only 6 minutes (12" pie).  It was very good.  I can't see myself making dough for this far in advance, but I can see upping to a 4 or 5 day for standard use instead of my normal 24 hour.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:35:47 PM by Tscarborough »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2010, 11:11:39 PM »
Tscarborough,

That is a nice looking pie.   :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2010, 11:49:07 PM »
I have been very busy with life, but have been making kitchen oven pizzas.  Nothing outstanding but no leftovers either.  For this weekend I just did 8 skins in the cups.  I made 12" sized dough balls so I can try  a bunch of different toppings.  The dough is:

6 cups King Author Bread Flour
1 tablespoon sea salt (dissolved in 2 cups 90 degree water)
1/4 oz IDY (dissolved in 1 cup of 90 degree water with 1 teaspoon of turbinado sugar)
1/2 tablespoon of dried oregano.

I added and mixed the salt water first, then the yeast water, then added another cup of 90 degree water.  Let double at room temp (74, hence the warm water) for an hour, then  beat down and kneaded for 8 folds, divided, and kneaded each ball for another minute or so before putting them into the lightly oiled Tupperware.  I will let them double again for an hour or so, then into the 38 degree fridge until I use them tomorrow night or Sunday.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2010, 09:04:52 PM »
I am home alone with 8 pizza doughs.  What is a boy to do?  I decided to experiment in the kitchen oven instead of the WFO.

First one pressed out to 14", I used Monterrey jack/mozz with black bean, corn, roasted garlic, and roasted poblano with green onions thrown on a minute before I took it out of the oven.

Second up, the obligatory pepperoni, Italian sausage and prosciutto Carnivore Crunch.

Third one is prosciutto, green onion, roasted white onion and garlic, and blue cheese with a little moz.

BTW, I made 2 sauces, a chunky and a smooth, this one has chunky, the last was smooth, the first was chunky.

For a neighbor, Italian sausage, prosciutto, green and white onion, roasted garlic, and mushroom.

For the youngest, quattro formaggio, very light browning on the crust.

Three more to go, but I will probably call it a night.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2010, 08:41:19 PM »
I woke up this morning wanting pizza.  I knew that I would want pizza today, yesterday too, but I was wiped out from work and could not motivate to make the dough for today.  I also had to work until noon today, but I still wanted pizza when I got home, so I made some dough.  Pretty much regular style, a bit more semolina than normal:

3 cups KABF
2 cups Semolina
1/4 oz yeast proofed in a cup of 90 degree water with a teaspoon of sugar
3 more cups of water
1/2 tablespoon each of salt, pickling spice, and chervil.

Mixed and left to double for an hour, then folded 8 times, divided, balled into cups and into the fridge for another 3 hours.

I did 2 sauces, a marinara and the regular.  The marinara was 8 small tomatoes quartered a and gutted, along with a tablespoon of minced garlic, pepper, oregano, basil, capers, and a little sugar and salt.

The regular, clockwise is:

Big can of house tomato sauce, turbino sugar, oregano, black pepper, onion powder, basil, paprika, red pepper, and salt in the middle.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2010, 08:47:20 PM »
For pizza, a pepperoni was a given, as well as an Italian sausage.  Those take care of the family, I wanted a shrimp pizza.  They had Texas head-on shrimp at $2.47 a pound when I stopped for cheese, so I got a couple of pounds.  I par-boiled them in LCB for a few minutes, them fridged them.

About Six, the fire was right, and I cooked four in short order (my neighbor cooked a steak and mushroom pizza, it was pretty nice).

A few pics.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 08:53:49 PM by Tscarborough »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2010, 08:51:04 PM »
Italian sausage, roasted red pepper, and onion.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2010, 08:35:54 PM »
Tscarborough,

Knowing your fondness for shrimp and uncommon yet delicious combinations of ingredients, you might find the shrimp pizza described at the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9807#p66916 of interest.

Peter

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2010, 09:24:22 PM »
That does sound very good.  I have been wondering about mayo in the oven, since I have several ideas that would need it.  Mayo will be on the menu this weekend.

Just a note about prepping shrimp for pizza.  For the kitchen oven raw is fine, the 8-15 minute cook time is long enough to cook them out.  For kitchen pizza, I peel them raw, marinate them for a day or two then apply them chilled.  For the WFO with a 2 minute pizza, they will not cook out, and they have to be precooked if they are larger than 40 count.  I parboil them in liquid crab boil (LCB), lemon juice, bay leaf (crumbled), salt and cracked black pepper for about 1 minute.  I use twice as much of each as I would if I were boiling the shrimp to eat alone.  After I take them out, I cool (ice) some of the boil water then soak them for another 30 minutes in the fridge.  Peel and use on the pie.

For kitchen oven shrimp, I peel them raw and marinate them in various things that always include LCB, EVOO, garlic, and salt for at least 24 hours.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2010, 11:16:07 AM »
I made my dough yesterday, 2 batches:

4c KABF
1c semolina
1 tbsp pickling salt
1 tbsp dried basil
1/4 oz ADY

3c KABF
2c semolina
1 tbsp picking salt
1 tbsp paprika
1/4 oz ADY

When I was at the store, I needed some more salt and noticed that they had smoked salt in a small grinder for 10 bucks.  It sounded good, but not 10 dolllars worth of good, so I made some yesterday.

I used the charcoal from the oven, soaked mesquite chips, and my chimney to smoke  rock salt.  I smoked it for about 2 hours, but it was a thick wet smoke and the salt picked it up quickly. It tastes pretty good, I will grind some on the crust for some of tonight's pies.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 11:17:47 AM by Tscarborough »