Author Topic: Pizza Anarchy  (Read 107123 times)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2010, 10:39:19 PM »
Damnit!@  I burned the first one screwing with the second one!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2010, 11:16:05 PM »
They may be a bit ugly, but neither one lasted for more than 2 minutes under the onslaught of the family and friends.

The dough was very dense, but thoroughly cooked, kind of like a tortilla (duh).

If i do this flour again, I will spike it with yeast and give it a couple days to grow.  It did have a good flavor and feel, but it is much denser than I normally prefer.  Note that it was flour to oven in less than an hour.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2010, 11:24:37 PM »
Tscarborough,

Your pizzas looks mouth-watering delicious.  ;D  You choices of toppings really put you pie over the top in my opinion. Wish I could have tasted a slice. Great job!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2010, 11:12:08 PM »
I want to party with you.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2010, 11:19:45 PM »
All I have to say is that I spent an hour or 2 reading this board tonight and suffered from a Pizza Emergency.  I had a couple of dough balls left over, some sauce, etc. and about 8:30 had to make pizza. Pics tomorrow, but the pepperoni and japs w/ black olives came out very well for a one hour throwdown.  Not only did I solve the immediate pizza crisis, but I have lunch for tomorrow.  Of course I did it differently than I ever have before, but will probably do it similarly again.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2010, 11:26:56 PM »
Not only did I solve the immediate pizza crisis, but I have lunch for tomorrow. 

I'm on the same page with you there. My wife has been out of town with the boys, and I've been eating leftovers from Sunday all week.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2010, 11:39:02 PM »
'Dats what I'm talking about!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2010, 01:00:43 PM »
As I sit here at work eating the pizza I made last night, I have to say that if nothing else this tortilla dough does microwave well.

It also opens up nicely, and does not absorb the sauce which is good because I like a lot.  For these I used Panela and Quesadilla cheese chopped fine with chopped black olives, minced garlic, and diced dried green onions mixed in.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2010, 01:02:16 PM »
 Other than that, I just topped with jalapenos and pepperoni.  I burned them again.  I am spoiled by the WFO where I can constantly adjust them.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2010, 03:32:42 PM »
I had a half bag of KA whole wheat flour I wanted to get rid of, so I used it last night.

2 cups KAWW
2 cups KABF
1 cup semolina
1 teaspoon of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
1 package of the Flieshman's pizza yeast packs in a cup of warm water along with a teaspoon of brown sugar, proofed for 10 minutes.
I added around 3 cups more of water.

I made 2 batches of that, let them double covered on the bench (about an hour at 80 degrees), then pounded them  down for around 8 folds each and balled them, cupped them and let them work in the refrigerator for about 5 hours.  I let them rise on the bench for another 2 hours before using them.

I burned a very long, hot fire in the oven, about 4 hours as opposed to the usual 2.  It was just too hot outside(100+) to actually work in front of the oven, so I just kept throwing wood on it until the air cooled off a bit.  It was over 1000 degrees on all walls and the floor was 900+ when I cleaned it out and prepped it for pizza.  I let it cool down a little bit to get close to my sweet spot of 800ish degrees on the walls and around 700 on the floor.

I made a margharita first, but the oven was still too hot, not very good, then an Italian sausage, onion, red pepper and hatch chili pie (I ended up making three of these, they were so good).  A pepperoni for the kids, a pit pie for the neighbor, and for myself a jalapeno, hatch chili, onion, and red pepper pie.  The wife wanted an Italian sausage, spinach, and onion, and that came out well.

So there you have it, nothing strange, just good pies.  The whole wheat crust was pretty good, actually.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2010, 11:10:05 AM »
I experimented in the kitchen oven on some dough I made for tonight in the WFO.   I wanted to do a NY style, so I stretched out my normal 10-11" ball to 12", used a basic marinara sauce and not too much cheese.  It was good,  crust wise, but I think I put too much sauce on it.  The kids made short work of it anyway.  I will try again tonight at 900 degrees instead of 550 and see what happens.

edit-I just measured that pan and it is 14", not 12"
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:18:03 AM by Tscarborough »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2010, 10:12:25 PM »
Is it a sin to think that I make the best pizza in the world?

OK, maybe I just make the best pizza FOR ME.

I did my normal dough, but substituted pickling mix for salt, as I have done in the past, and cold fermented it for 48 hours.

I used Hatch chilies, chile petins, red and green bell peppers, tomato slices, white onions, fresh Italian sausage, peperoni, thyme, and basil in various combination's, along with 50/50 fresh mozzarella and Monterrey Jack, with about 10% Parmesan thrown in for luck. The sauce was HEB Marinara, and a can of HEB peeled tomatoes with 2 crushed cloves and a teaspoon of minced garlic, heated briefly, then cooled before use.

For the first time, I moved everything out to the outdoor kitchen and was able to pump out 6 pizzas in about 20 minutes.

Sorry no pics, my daughter took the camera for the weekend, like she did last weekend.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2010, 09:11:21 PM »
Dang it, I read that long thread about Garcia's pizza over the day, and there is a Saints game on so I want some PIZZA!  That kind of pizza!  I only had about 30 minutes to make it though, so I used Jiffy pizza dough mix, some sauce I had left over (with all the excess ingredients (3 kinds of peppers and onions) mixed in) and laid it up like a Garcia's:  Dough, cheese (pepper Jack slices in this case), then the sauce w/ veges, then moz, then pepperoni, then a little more cheese (and a drizzle of Parmesean in the center).  I baked it at 425 for 15 minutes per the Jiffy instructions, then finished it with a minute under the broiler.

Now I have no idea what the actual Garcia's pizza looked like or tastes like, but this ain't bad for a 30 minute pizza.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2010, 09:05:13 AM »
I was reading through some articles about Anthony Mangieri's Una Pizzeria Napoletana. Besides the fact that you should sell what your customers want, not what you want, the most common complaint was that his pies are soggy in the center.  I have never had a true Neapolitan Style pizza, but the center of any pie is problematical in that it will always be the least cooked and yet be the smallest and most heavily loaded area.

So, I says to myself, why not eliminate it altogether?  Now a doughnut hole would work, but a much simpler solution would be to leave a mound of dough in the middle.  An Island, if  you will, of crusty goodness in the center of the pie.

Since I was making my dough for this weekend, I decided to do a proof of concept pie. Note that the dough is less than an hour old and I didn't plan on eating the pie, but my daughter did anyway, all of it.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2010, 09:42:38 AM »
I was reading through some articles about Anthony Mangieri's Una Pizzeria Napoletana. Besides the fact that you should sell what your customers want, not what you want, the most common complaint was that his pies are soggy in the center.  I have never had a true Neapolitan Style pizza, but the center of any pie is problematical in that it will always be the least cooked and yet be the smallest and most heavily loaded area.

So, I says to myself, why not eliminate it altogether?  Now a doughnut hole would work, but a much simpler solution would be to leave a mound of dough in the middle.  An Island, if  you will, of crusty goodness in the center of the pie.

Since I was making my dough for this weekend, I decided to do a proof of concept pie. Note that the dough is less than an hour old and I didn't plan on eating the pie, but my daughter did anyway, all of it.

Tscarborough,

That was a very clever idea of letting a mound of dough in the middle.  The pizza looks delicious!  :)

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2010, 10:28:45 AM »
Tscarborough,

Some time ago, I talked about the problem with the way that pizzas bake in the middle, at Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5604.msg47459.html#msg47459. You might also get a kick out of the PMQ article (Hole-y Dough) that discusses making a hole in the center of the pizza.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2010, 11:36:33 AM »
Tscarborough,

Some time ago, I talked about the problem with the way that pizzas bake in the middle, at Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5604.msg47459.html#msg47459. You might also get a kick out of the PMQ article (Hole-y Dough) that discusses making a hole in the center of the pizza.

Peter

Peter,

I got a kick out of how Preston Williams made a patent for the Hole-y dough pan.  :-D That could be an idea for someone to use for this months challenge. 

Norma

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2010, 12:00:15 PM »
Last Saturday, I did another Island Pizza on a 14" pie.  It worked even better on the bigger pie since it did not displace much of the gooey guts.  The only thing I did different this week was to slightly precook the Italian sausage so I could use bigger clumps.  6 pies of various types in about 20 minutes, 3 gone before I even had a taste.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2010, 02:42:49 PM »
I am making my sauce and dough for tomorrow's pizza.  This is a marinara, the ingredients are all fresh from the garden:

Garlic, shallot, basil, and tomatoes.  I barely browned the garlic and shallots in EVOO, then added minced basil.  I quartered and gutted the small plum type tomatoes (the last of my neighbor's crop), then added them to the garlic.  I will let it go on low at around 170-180 degrees for a couple of hours, hit it with the stick blender, then add pepper and salt as needed to taste.  Tomorrow I will make a "kids" sauce that is sweeter and thicker.

The dough is just mixed and on it's first rise: 4c KABF, 1c semolina, 1 pkg yeast and a little salt.  It took about 3-1/2 cups of water to get it where I wanted it.  I will fold it and split into 4 doughballs in an hour or so, then into the fridge.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2010, 04:09:28 PM »
I decided to add some capers, and ended up using about a 1/4 tbsp of sea salt and an 1/8 of coarse black pepper.  Into the fridge with it, and I also put the dough in.  I decided on 4 big (14") and 2 small (11") size doughballs.  The marinara will go on the small ones with ingredients to be determined tomorrow.  I did buy a peppered pepperoni stick and had them slice it at the deli, so that will be on at least 2 of the big pies.

The wife wanted to make a little pasta and eat the marinara right now, but I was able to fend her off.

pizzapan