Author Topic: Opening in about a week!  (Read 5095 times)

Offline RichPugh

• I'll bet you $1 I can get you to gamble today...
Opening in about a week!
« on: July 16, 2010, 09:09:35 PM »
So after jumping through all the hoops in Baltimore City to open a Bar/Tavern/Restaurant, dealing with regulatory departments that don't communicate well between each other, inspectors who forget to sign off on permits between offices, dealing with construction above us in the residential apartments with water pouring down onto my new Marsal MB oven, HACCP plans, refrigeration repair (we took over an ooooold Bar location which had a kitchen), after renovations, decor changes, rebuilding an entire bar top, and many other insanely difficult things... we will FINALLY be opening towards the end of next week.

I'll try to keep keep time to get on the forums. In the meantime, if youre in Baltimore, swing thru after next week :)

-Rich

www.johnnyrads.com

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Opening in about a week!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 11:58:23 PM »
So after jumping through all the hoops in Baltimore City to open a Bar/Tavern/Restaurant, dealing with regulatory departments that don't communicate well between each other, inspectors who forget to sign off on permits between offices, dealing with construction above us in the residential apartments with water pouring down onto my new Marsal MB oven, HACCP plans, refrigeration repair (we took over an ooooold Bar location which had a kitchen), after renovations, decor changes, rebuilding an entire bar top, and many other insanely difficult things... we will FINALLY be opening towards the end of next week.

I'll try to keep keep time to get on the forums. In the meantime, if youre in Baltimore, swing thru after next week :)

-Rich

www.johnnyrads.com

RichPugh,

Best of luck and success with your new adventure.  :)  Keep us posted.

Norma

Always working and looking for new information!

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 04:23:44 AM »
Good luck with the new place!  I wish I still lived in Bel Air so I could have tried it out!

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 10:49:04 AM »
good luck! looks pretty darn close to 95.. a good stop on the way home from a long florida -> nj trip???
Patrick

Offline PizzaFoodie

• PizzaFoodie.com
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 03:12:19 AM »
That's awesome man! Way to go! We hope to open in about a month. Keep us posted on the success!

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 05:28:07 PM »
"Opening Before August.....We Promise"

I'm getting hungry darnit!  ;D

Looking forward to the opening......may be the first post post on the re-launced site
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline RichPugh

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 09:11:14 AM »
Haha... thanks guys. Been fine tuning some dough managements (no walk-in) and trying to get food and beer/wine/liquor orders in too. We could be open this weekend for a kinda soft test but maybe not at full force... We'll see. We might only have like 75% of the pizza toppings and 60-70% of the b/w/l selection. I suppose as everyone knows were still in the building process, they'll be ok?

PB, I was starting to worry about your site! Thanks for the consideration. We're pretty psyched to be finally opening. The "bugs" might be all worked out in the 1st few weeks so dont be too critical LOL. I'm trying to find a balance to just get OPEN asap. "do we need a prep table here?" "Are these shelves working?" "Should we change this around?" etc. etc..

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 07:15:44 PM »
PB, I was starting to worry about your site! Thanks for the consideration. We're pretty psyched to be finally opening. The "bugs" might be all worked out in the 1st few weeks so dont be too critical LOL. I'm trying to find a balance to just get OPEN asap. "do we need a prep table here?" "Are these shelves working?" "Should we change this around?" etc. etc..

I am an amateur "critic", at best......but I think any critic that reviews an establishment that just opens is not being fair. So no worries m8.

Offline RichPugh

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 11:11:03 PM »
Haha much appreciated.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 01:21:23 AM »
How did it go?

Offline RichPugh

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 01:12:43 AM »
How did it go?

Holy %$#... I cant believe how well received we've been haha. Google "Johnny Rad's Baltimore" and we've had like 6 online reviews and all are awesome. Its been hectic like a newborn baby but it's so amazing. I'll post more on it when I'm not adjusting credit card tip totals haha...

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 06:01:19 AM »
That's great!  I hope that you're able to keep the momentum up.  Any pictures?

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 11:50:01 AM »
Some pics from opening night.

I didn't realize it was opening night, and made the completely amateur move of ordering take out!

They got slammed opening night, even though it appears only close friends and family were notified. A subsequent visit revealed pies with much better spotting and cooking on top. The sauce was very fresh and vibrant.....Four Sisters San Marzanos make a very good sauce, especially when the pizzamaker doesn't muck it up!

Some more up to date pictures coming after my next visit. This place is going to be good. --K
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 09:25:04 AM by pizzablogger »

Offline RichPugh

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
Thanks PB! I'll try to post more later...

Offline RichPugh

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 02:59:40 AM »
Wow... I actualy got a chance to come home early and sit at my compuer for a few minutes haha. It's been a crazy month! PB came on opening night, we've had Baltimore Magazine, Baltimore Sun, B Magazine, Examiner and severa other online an print reviews, write-ups and the like... we had wondrful online reviews and our first few bad reviews LOL (I wont even go into justifying them specifically... they're right when they say "If youre packed every night and youre making money, do not read your reviews" lol).

We've gone through refrigeration issues, storage capacity issues, ordering and inventory issues, procedural issues, production issies, employee issues... the whole 9 yards. It's getting smoother... I cant wait to get a POS system, a walk-in, extra shelving, a better gas supply line from the street (Our oven is fine, its the range and fryer that are suffering)...

The concensus is, "People like us" :) So far, so good. I'll try to be more active on the forum here. In the meantime, I'll figure out a way to fit a walk-in cooler, a mixer, a dishwasher station, a dough prep table and dry storage shelving into a 10x12 prep kitchen with 3 doorways! :)

Here's some ofthe reviews we got:

Before we opened: http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/midnight_sun/blog/2010/05/johnny_rads_to_replace_kellys.html

Baltimore Magazine Online: http://www.baltimoremagazine.net/onthetown/2010/07/opening-of-johnny-rads

Baltimore Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/bars-in-baltimore/johnny-rad-s-a-comfortable-neighborhood-pizza-joint

Pizzablogger.org Before Opening: http://www.pizzablogger.org/index.php/2010/05/19/pizza-news/johnny-rads-pizzeria-tavern-coming-soon-to-upper-fells-point/

A 'Chowhound.com' note: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/726903

Our B+ Rating on BeerAdvocate.com : http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23425

Local Blog PattersonParkPatter :  http://pattersonparkpatter.blogspot.com/2010/07/pizza-and-pints-by-park.html

Just a cool photoset someone took: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs235.snc4/39083_735480379267_600247_41359216_5885956_n.jpg

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 07:34:40 PM »
Living the dream!  Very cool.

Offline Aldo

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 01:06:32 AM »
Hey --isn't Black Flag gonna sue you for coppin' their logo?

By the way, please keep posting to tell us how its going!!!  Good luck!

Offline RichPugh

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 01:52:38 AM »

Haha, dont jinx us!!

Well its been almost 5 months and we've gotten our dough management down fairly well (with the limited refrigeration equipment we have), we placed 2nd in a readers choice poll for Best pizza in Baltimore (beating a bunch of wonderful pizzerias probably just because we're the new kids on the block and people were voting us up), we won Best New Bar 2010 in Baltimore CityPaper's BestOfBaltimore edition, we've been featured in Baltimore Magazine in the What's New section and mentioned in the "Hipster Havens" write up on a few hip bars, we're expanding into an unrenovated section of our building so we can sit a few more tables plus set up a lounge and toss in a few video games and stuff (possibly skeeball)... we've been busy. Still trying to set up a walk-in fridge too.

We're getting our POS system installed next week. We decided to go with ALOHA. 2 touch screen stations plus a back office station and of course a 2 color kitchen printer and a service bar printer. Whatever you do, DONT lease a POS system if you can save the cash to buy it outright. The effective interest would have been something like 60% lol. It is going to help incredibly with proper pricing, cash tickets (that right now can very easily just not make it into the register) and analytical stuff.

I'm sure there is more I'm leaving out but all in all, we're doing great. Thanks for your interest :)

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 11:54:33 PM »

I caught that Logo right away, I have trying to figure out a way to use Black Flag's logo, intertwined with the Dead Kennedy's Logo hidden in a small spot on our own Logo.

The first year is typically the most difficult, if you make it past that, it only gets easier, Hang in there.
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 01:29:59 AM »
pizza is almost my favorite appetite, but it is always very expensive.just like the authentic famous watch, so I just can afford to the replica watches at watches-replica1.com

???

pizzapan