Author Topic: StrayBullet and the Holy Soapstone  (Read 4593 times)

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: StrayBullet and the Holy Soapstone
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2010, 02:18:07 PM »
Thanks Scott.  I've got a call in to creative.  I did stop by a local supplier and they told me another local shop that could cut this thick stone sideways either using diamonds on a string (my words) or water jet.  I'll still going to talk with creative before doing anything.
Dave

Offline scott123

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2010, 02:31:22 PM »
They use a wire to cut soapstone into slabs in the quarry. That's probably the diamond string method you're talking about.

If the cut is precise enough, you could end up with two 1/2"ish slabs- enough for both you and Bob.

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2010, 06:35:19 PM »
Dave, the place you and I talked about, the one that trimmed my original piece for the grill is:

WE International Marble and Granite, 8006 Benjamin.  For what you're asking, it may take a bit longer to setup but he cut mine while I was standing there :)

I just made up 2 balls and they'll have cold-soaked for 94 hours before turning into pizza magic this Friday :D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 07:30:29 PM by StrayBullet »

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2010, 07:30:04 PM »
Hey Scott, Dave, et al,

Any thoughts on placing the oven rack as close to the broiler element as possible and heating the stone high in the oven with the broiler, vice low in the oven with the bake element?  Would heating with the broiler element reduce the heating time?  The issue is once placed, you're not moving that stone while it's hot so the pie would have to be baked up high as well.  Just talking out loud...

Online Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2010, 09:02:12 PM »

Soapstone vs Cordierite

Yesterday afternoon (StrayBullet) delivered my 20" x20" 3 cm. thick soapstone. Thanks SB. I had three experimental doughs ready so why wait. I removed the cordierite stone from the top deck. Kept Dave's metal lath in place and with Dave's help in went the new stone.
Bake temp target was 640 degrees. I timed the stone heating
Time       Temp Cordierite       Temp Soapstone
5 min            325                        200
15                560                        320
25                650                        400
40                750                        550
60                630                        560
90                640                        640

The three doughs were made in one batch:Kyrol, 60%,IDY,salt.   The only variable to this  point was the length of bench rise: a.-1 hr, b.-2hr, and c.-3hr prior to 2 days refrigeration. Each pie was baked approx 6 min.
Pie "a" went on the soapstone and came out chewy.  The tester (from N.J./N.Y.) particularly liked it.
Pie "b" went onto the Cordierite and came out with a light crisp and light crust with  nice voids.
Pie "c" was difficult to stretch so the dough was thicker and was placed on the Soapstone.   It was too chewy for my taste but had a nice crisp.
I was able to get char points on all three.

I then  timed the cool down; starting temp 650
Time        Temp Cordierite     Temp Soapstone
30 min              480                      540
60                    412                      512
90                    380                      450

So, what does this mean?  IMO
1.They cook the same. I think the difference in outcome was based on the dough "management" and not the stone.  The only way to be sure is to eliminate the dough variable.  That will be the next test.
2.Soapstone is probably better suited for a commercial environment as recovery time would be shorter.  This comment is probably flawed as the soapstone was thicker-greater mass. This can be revisited if TAMPA Dave can get his stone cut in half.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2010, 01:39:04 PM »
The only think Id add is bugger, that slab of soapstone is heavy!  You can see the massive size compared to the factory-standard cordierite stone in the commercial, 2-rack, pizza oven in the picture.  The bottom stone is cordierite, the fat slab in the middle is soapstone, and the top charred thingy is part of the upper oven frame.

Dave

Offline sear

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2010, 03:28:35 PM »
i asked texeria if they would cut soapstone in half , she said they could only sand it down to size. is it just me or is that alot of sanding ?

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2010, 09:11:43 PM »
I heard a similar thing.  I spoke with our supplier yesterday and they use a router with a diamond bit making numerous passes.  I'm considering having my stone cut to a size similar to my well-performing cordierite stone.
Dave

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2010, 04:47:42 PM »
Here's the latest results and my wife really liked the outcome :D

Cooked in a regular oven with no tricks.  I placed the soapstone on the second position down from the broiler and heated the stone up to 500o in 60 minutes.  At time of baking the stone read 600o.  I was able to achieve the temps intermittently using the broiler during preheat and during the last 2 minutes of baking.  Total cook time was 5 minutes.

I used the same recipe I've been using since the start (65% hydration, .25% IDY, 1.5% Salt, 1% Oil, 1% Sugar), just substituting Kyrol flour for my normal AT (thanks Dave and Bob!!!).  It was cold soaked for 91 hours.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2010, 10:34:51 AM »
Stray,
Great looking pie.  I haven't cooked at 600F, but everything looks good in the pics.
Dave

pizzapan