Author Topic: CHICAGO STYLE FINAL  (Read 3240 times)

Offline FLAVORMAN

• I Love Pizza!
CHICAGO STYLE FINAL
« on: July 13, 2008, 01:18:10 PM »
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU AND ESPECIALLY LOO...HERE IT IS AND WIFE SAID IT WAS THE BEST DEEP DISH CRUST IN OVER 30 YEARS...

442 GR.  KA FLOUR
30 GR. CORN MEAL..HAVE TO HAVE IT  HA HA
198 GR. H20
82 GR. CORN OIL
18 GR. OLIVE OIL
3.3 GR. ADY
4 GR. CREAM OF TARTAR..

14 INCH PAN BLACK CHICAGO METALIC...2 HOUR BENCH RISE..24 HOUR FRIG RISE...CRISCO BOTTOM PAN OI..(ABOUT 1.5 TBSP)  500 DEGREE PREHEAT THEN BAKE 10 MIN ON BOTTOM RACK ON STONE MOVE UP ONE RACK REDUCE HEAT TO 425 UNTIL DONE  ABOUT 15-23 MIN.....WE MADE 4  14 INCHERS THE 2 THAT STARTED ON STONE ON BOTTOM RACK TURNED OUT WITH MORE BOTTOM CRUNCH...HOPE THIS HELPS SOME OF YOU BUT NO MORE SEARCHING FOR ME....BY THE WAY WE USED 14 OZ. OF CHEEZE 50%MOZ AND 50% SMOKED PROV...6+1 CRUSHED&DRAINED  1TS DRY OREGANO..FRESH BASIL AND 4 DIFFERANT TOPPINGS...SAUSAUGE,PEPP,ONIONS ECT

Offline FLAVORMAN

• I Love Pizza!
Re: CHICAGO STYLE FINAL...YEAST CORRECTION
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 04:27:55 PM »
Should be 3.5 grams or 1/2 packet of ADY...sorry
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 02:55:56 PM by FLAVORMAN »

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Re: CHICAGO STYLE FINAL...YEAST CORRECTION
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 09:34:40 PM »
SHOULD BE 23.3 GRAMS ADY...OR 1 PACKET   SORRY

Thanks for the credit, FLAVORMAN.  I think I'd stick to the yeast number in your first post over your second.  :chef:
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline FLAVORMAN

• I Love Pizza!
Re: CHICAGO STYLE FINAL
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 06:38:37 PM »
Everyone who loves deep dish should finally figure out what the heck is going on. I posted a recipe a few weeks ago and have made over a dozen with that dough, with H20 and oil percentages for a 14-inch. Let's all get down to the gritty. I love Lou's. I dated my wife of 40 years going to Gino's East...and have for many years tried to duplicate. We have many formulas on the board as well as mine that I have to say work with 1 packet of yeast. But let all of us know that our ovens are different, as well as stone's height from the bottom and all the other info we have looked at over the years. DKM, Loo's and mine all work but the flavor of Gino's and Lou's is just not there. I get the crunchy crust and all the other good stuff. Let's face it, we all love different toppings and the amount of cheese we use, but does anyone get our favorite flavor in the dough????? Let's leave that and then go on once and for all to get a formula, time and temperature that will make us all happy. Am I goofy or what? Hope to see many posts on my question.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 02:20:31 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: CHICAGO STYLE FINAL
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 09:01:39 AM »
Flavorman,

I wanted to reply to your last post but, in the course of doing so, I noticed that you said that you used 23.3 grams of ADY, or one packet. One packet actually weighs only 7 grams; a three-packet strip as commonly sold in supermarkets would weigh 21 grams.

But, putting the above aside for the moment, there are several ways of getting added flavor in the finished crust:

1) Use a long fermentation, either at room temperature, in the refrigerator, or a combination of both. This approach uses modest amounts of yeast, and is perhaps the most common approach used by our members.

2) Convert the dough recipe to a preferment format. I don't recall seeing this done before on the forum, and I myself have not done it, but I am reasonably confident that it can be done.

3) Use a natural starter. It is rare to see this leavening method for the deep-dish style, but I know that it works because I have done so on a few occasions (see, for example, Reply 22 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1585.msg14755.html#msg14755 and
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2365.msg20625.html#msg20625).

4) Use commercial additives, such as "sours".

5) Use a lot of commercial yeast. The purpose here is not only to leaven the dough but also to add a "yeasty" flavor to the finished crust.

It looks to me that you have been using a combination of methods 1 and 5, with extra emphasis on method 5, to make your deep-dish dough. That would account for the crust flavors you achieved and liked. The rest of the ingredients and their quantities are in line with the deep-dish style.

You might want to clarify the actual amount of yeast you used. If you'd like, I can correct your post(s) to reflect the correct amount.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 09:05:04 AM by Pete-zza »

pizzapan