Author Topic: Actual Gino's East Recipe?  (Read 34301 times)

87path

Actual Gino's East Recipe?
« on: March 31, 2005, 10:57:27 AM »
Using the Ingredients list posted at the Gino's mail order site as a reference (http://featuredfoods.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/a-store/GINO-01.shtml?L+scstore+dsny4629ginosff6a946a+1112301035), I would wager that this guy may have posted the real deal!  I'll going to give it a try soon.  Apologies if this has already been posted.  Recipe is the one closest to bottom of discussion.  Funny how he teases everyone at first.

http://cheftalkcafe.com/forums/showthread.php?t=980

Offline Cosmo

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Actual Gino's East Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 01:30:02 PM »
Can't wait to hear how it turns out!  Let us know!

87path

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 07:07:23 PM »
Tried it last weekend.  First try was great tasting, but texture was like wax paper because I took the refrigerated dough and pan straight from the fridge into the overn.  Second attempt was awesome.  I made the dough in the morning and let it sit out all day, the put it in the pan 1 hr before baking.  Baked it at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.  It had a great biscuit like texture to it.  Haven't been to Chicago in 4 years, but sure tastes like I remember.  Highly recommend recipe, but don't put dough straight into over from fridge - let it sit at room temperature for a while.

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 12:07:53 AM »
I just made the Gino's East clone as referenced by the link in this post (the one by spinnybobo) and I' really think this is Gino's East recipe...I did make some small modifications, but the overall process was maintained, as well as the flour to oil ratios and the addition of cream of tartar, and a small amount of brown sugar.  I did not add the yellow food coloring as some have mentioned.  For the sake of preventing everyone from having to reference that other recipe, here's what was used:   NOTE:  This makes 2 9" pies.

6 cups flour   (5 cups KABF/1 cup Bob's Red Mill semolina)  Scoop and scrape method
2 cups cold water
2 teaspoons IDY
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
2/3 Cup Corn Oil/EVOO blend  (95% Corn/5% EVOO)
2 teaspoons cream of tartar

I mixed all the ingredients in a mixing bowl by hand, being careful not to overmix.  Just bring the elements together in a rough, unsmooth ball...took about 5 minutes of easy kneading.  Next transfer the dough to a heavily oiled large mixing bowl, and cover with plastic wrap and a damp towel for roughly 24 hours.  Next I transferred it into the refrigerator for another full day, until ready to prepare the pie.  The dough has not been punched down or removed from its mixing bowl, still covered by the plastic wrap.

When ready to build the pies, remove the dough from the refrigerator about an hour before stretching the dough.  Divide in half, and place the dough ball into a very heavily olive oiled springform pan.  Gently push the dough out to the edges, and up the wall of the pan.  Thickness factor should be about 1/2 inch all the way around.  Be sure and dock the dough with a fork to prevent any bubbles from forming. Sprinkle grated Romano cheese on the skin, and next place slices of mozzarella cheese to cover the bottom of the pan.  Next follow with a row of pepperoni, and finally top with a simple sauce of crushed canned tomatoes with a blend of garlic, oregano and a hint of oil.  Finish with a sprinkling of grated romano cheese over the sauce.  Bake at 425 for 45 minutes with foil over the top, and then remove the foil to complete browning the outside crust edges, another 15 minutes, though keep an eye on it.  I'll post the sauce recipe tomorrow.  This recipe recreates the full beer type flavor/biscuit type texture of the Gino's East pie.    Here's some pics...

"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 12:21:18 AM »
Almost forgot the side slice view!!!
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 10:05:05 PM »
Well, this isn't the longest dormant thread to be resurrected but it does go back a way and that referenced thread is one of the first online discussions of Gino's East's recipe that I remember reading. 

Pizza Concerto, nice work on what you prepared there but if you really want to try something that is spot on, try this recipe in a thread started by one of the contributors to the thread that's referenced above, our own foodblogger.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2620.0.html

I did some tweaking to it (no salt, decreased hydration) and that info is here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5047.0.html

Try either one of them out, you just may find your quest to a produce a Gino's clone will be complete.

Loo

Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 11:30:17 AM »
Thanks Loo, I'll certainly give that a try...I went for this since no one had posted any pics of a pie made with this original formulation (that I could find). 

Dan

Offline foodblogger

• Favorite Chain Pizza - Gino's East
    • My Food Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 12:32:28 PM »
If you want to see a video on how to make Gino's East you could check this link