Author Topic: First attempt at BBQ cooking  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Subculture

First attempt at BBQ cooking
« on: July 24, 2010, 03:48:04 AM »
This was my first attempt at cooking on a stone in a BBQ.  We used 1/4" steal plates directly on the grill and put the stone on top of that. Cranked the grill for about 45 minutes and measured the stone at 625F with an IR gun.  Dough recipe was a slight variation of Varasono's, using only a wild local yeast culture.  It was amazing pizza.

I've been cooking pizza for years, but have really taken everything to the next level after learning about high heat cooking via these forums!  My mission now is to get a hold of one of these: PizzaMaster PM 451ED-1. (Sorry, can't post a hyperlinks...)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: First attempt at BBQ cooking
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 07:11:51 AM »
Subculture, welcome to the forum.  Those are some nice looking pies. I'm always glad to see ppl add the grill pizza knowledge databank.  How are you getting the top char? Doing anything other than leaving the lid down and letting them bake?

JT

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 05:57:28 PM »
Very nice, do you deliver?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Subculture

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 08:09:41 PM »
JT: Just kept the lid down, nothing else.  By the time the bottom had a slight char, the top was done.

Jet_deck: Not yet, but I will if I follow my friends advice. They keep telling me to open a pizza place. I've done 4 pizza parties in 4 weeks!  Got 2 organized for this week alone. I should start charging, haha.

Offline petef

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 02:07:50 AM »
JT: Just kept the lid down, nothing else.  By the time the bottom had a slight char, the top was done.

That's impressive! What brand and model grill are you using?

Many of us are not so fortunate as you to get the top of the pie to cook by simply keeping the lid down. We wind up with burned bottom crust and still the top does not cook well. My solution is to par-bake the crust, add toppings to the browned side and then bake it. I do all my baking on the grill with a preheated cast iron pan over top of the pie which helps to intensify the heat on the top side. More details at link below.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11393.0.html

pizzapan