Author Topic: Shopping for a new mixer  (Read 392 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
Shopping for a new mixer
« on: May 21, 2015, 03:33:54 PM »
I currently have a 5.5qt Cuisinart stand mixer and it has been a workhorse for the last few years. But I think it's somewhat on its last leg since it's starting to make loud grinding noises which sound like a few wheels are worn out inside the transmission. I haven't looked into the price of getting it serviced and I'm not sure if I even want to try.

Anyway, I came across this one on Amazon and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it or owns one. It's all all-metal 7qt stand mixer.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CCRKCQG/?tag=pmak-20

Any info will be much appreciated!
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Shopping for a new mixer
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:05:40 PM »
This one has gotten some great reviews on Fresh Loaf, it is a Kitchen Aid Certified Commercial refurbished model for $399.    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Refurbished-KitchenAid-7-Qt-Bowl-Lift-NSF-Certified-Commercial-Stand-Mixer-/131445427672?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9ac20dd8

The reviews are here,  you have to wade through a lot of off topic posts, but if you start here http://www.thefreshloaf.com/comment/320227#comment-320227  and go down, you will see the feedback. 

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 10:18:16 PM »
I have the 8 qt. version of this Kitchenaid mixer and it's truly a beast. Added the 5 qt bowl for smaller jobs and I'm pretty much covered! All the attachments are stainless steel too. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 12:12:50 AM »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 06:36:03 AM »
Thanks, guys.

I also have this one on my Wish List:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008D6XVNG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1RKP2E279DI5S&coliid=I1XFFAO4K2JJIE

I have that one, I have redone the gears twice (cheap if you do it yourself, good you tube videos out there).  I don't use it for dough anymore.  I picked up a refurbished bosch compact on amazon for $139 a couple years ago.  You might want to take a look at those.  There are threads here on both the compact and regular here.
Deb

Offline misterschu

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 09:12:04 AM »
I own a refurbished kitchenaid. If I were doing it again, I'd scour craigslist for an older Hobart kitchenaid or a small hobart, a Bosch Universal or an Electrolux/Ankarsrum/Magic Mill/Verona/DLX. The Bosch and Electrolux I really like because they use a center post rather than overhead, this makes it easier to pour ingredients in and means they're more stable from being bottom heavy. Not that I've had problems with my kitchenaid, but from a design sense, I think they're more impressive.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:14:32 AM by misterschu »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 10:04:52 AM »
Yes $50 on CL for an old classic Kithen Aid gets the job done. 

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 02:22:13 PM »
Thanks all for the information. I'll check all above-mentioned ones out.

Chau,

I owned a Classic before and it just slapped the dough around with that C-hook. Didn't like it very much.
Mike

Offline PrimeRib

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 03:06:30 PM »

Electrolux/Ankarsrum/Magic Mill/Verona/DLX.

I have this, got it used in good condition. For me, it's a one trick pony to make dough, but it will make dough with a 5 pound bag of flour in a single batch.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 09:51:06 PM »
I have the DLX ( and a Bosch Compact which is pretty nice for the price) and a KA lift bowl.  The DLX is a bread making machine.  Very well thought engineered and very well made. 

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 04:52:11 PM »
I've never used a mixer for bread or pizza dough. I just use. 6 or 12 quart Cambro container and mix with my hand. I don't usually knead the dough though. Stretch and fold only.  For some reason I can't bring myself to use the mixer. Maybe because I don't want to lug it onto the counter.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 06:02:26 PM »
Pulled the trigger on the 6qt Kitchenaid KP26M1XPM.

Mike