Author Topic: Wanting a new mixer!  (Read 1398 times)

Online the1mu

Wanting a new mixer!
« on: January 05, 2016, 11:35:52 PM »
And have no clue where to start. I am hoping the experience of people here may point me in the correct direction.

I have never used one until today, and o was very impressed by how quickly it incorporated all the ingredients from my sponge to mixing with the additional flour/salt/etc. and then again with adding the oil after an initial ball was formed. Also, the final ball, despite being 64% hydration was nice and firm and silky. The mixer was a Chinese knock off kitchen aid with a c-hook. But it was only a 880g ball.
P
The things that I would love in a mixer:

It'll pretty much only be for pizza making
I'd like to be able to do mix 4.5kg of dough at a time (approximately 2.7kg flour at 64% hydration)
I would love something that has a spiral hook

From what I'm seeing, this may not be possible. A 7qt kitchen aid is only rated for 3.5kg dough, I believe.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Online the1mu

Re: Wanting a new mixer!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 08:14:59 AM »
After spending all day researching, I think I'm leaning towards the Kitchen aide pro600.

I don't think I'll find anything that can do the amount of dough I mentioned so this comes close.

Found this thread which helped on the total amount I could do at a time. https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32061.0

I'm still hoping others have advice and input!

Thanks!

Offline mbrulato

• Supporting Member
  • I heart pizza
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 08:56:46 AM »
You might check the thread I started about a month ago. https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=40618.0
Mary Ann

"Have courage and be kind" - Cinderella

Online the1mu

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 08:59:55 AM »
I actually just finished reading through it! It was definitely helpful!

Online the1mu

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 09:56:29 AM »
I am skimming it again but not finding it...

What is the minimum amount of dough you can do in the larger 8qt?

Offline bradtri

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 10:00:55 AM »
And have no clue where to start. I am hoping the experience of people here may point me in the correct direction.

I have never used one until today, and o was very impressed by how quickly it incorporated all the ingredients from my sponge to mixing with the additional flour/salt/etc. and then again with adding the oil after an initial ball was formed. Also, the final ball, despite being 64% hydration was nice and firm and silky. The mixer was a Chinese knock off kitchen aid with a c-hook. But it was only a 880g ball.
P
The things that I would love in a mixer:

It'll pretty much only be for pizza making
I'd like to be able to do mix 4.5kg of dough at a time (approximately 2.7kg flour at 64% hydration)
I would love something that has a spiral hook

From what I'm seeing, this may not be possible. A 7qt kitchen aid is only rated for 3.5kg dough, I believe.

I stripped the gears twice on a KA 600 doing much less dough than that.  If you're going the KA route, I'd at least go the commercial route like MaryAnn did.

If you want something much more bulletproof for larger batches of dough, I'd suggest looking at the Bosch Universal Plus.  It has no problem at all handling the amounts of dough you are talking about.  However, it doesn't do as well with small amounts of dough.

I have both the KA Commercial 7 qt and the Bosch Universal Plus.  I use the KA for everyday use and making < 2000 g dough.  If I need to make more, I pull out the Bosch. 

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 07:04:14 PM »
Another option to consider is the Ankarsrum.  It is rated for 5.3 lbs,  2.4 kg of flour,  so just under the amount you need, but not by much.   http://pleasanthillgrain.com/ankarsrum-swedish-stand-mixer-heavy-duty-kitchen-mixer    The downsides are that the attachments are pretty pricey, and not as numerous as the KA,  but the design, engineering and materials are all top notch, and it is a kneading machine.   I have never read of anyone stripping gears or bogging it down.   

Online the1mu

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 09:47:58 PM »
Thanks! I will look into all of those!

Online the1mu

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 09:49:50 PM »
Ankarsum and Electrolux... Same thing? I've used an Electrolux (possibly smaller capacity?) before and like it for bread.

In my mind, don't feel like it'd do what I'm looking for with pizza dough (more the spiral action).

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 08:12:21 PM »
Yes the Ankarsrum has been offered under a variety of names,  Electrolux, Magic Mill, Assistent,  though the manufacturer has alway been the same, there have been some style changes, and at some point the motor was increased from 450 to 600 watts, but I have the 450 watts and it has tons of power.  It does not have a spiral action, but it is hard to find that at a decent price. 

Online the1mu

Wanting a new mixer!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 09:51:04 AM »
Well, kitchen aid is still near the top, leaning towards the biggest 8qt but still doing reading.

I'm also considering this Chinese 10L, 5kg capacity, spiral mixer. I don't know if this is normal for spirals, but it is a single speed.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/08/d55df586c1113c848eda2d5e33dc3ce7.jpg

Offline elephant man

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 04:49:38 AM »
I just bought the 7 qt. 500w mixer from kitchen aid. It had a $549.00 price that was discounted to $299.00. This was at Sur la table. The cashier said this model is being replaced. The same mixer was on sale in Singapore for $2,500.00. I did buy one in Bangkok for overseas use that was slightly more than $1,000. Overseas you need the 220v model and even in the states a 220v model is close to $1,000.00

I have given all my 350 watt models away as I just didn't want to change the gears all the time.

Online the1mu

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 05:16:44 AM »
At this time, I am very much leaning towards the 8qt commercial and while I live in a 220v country, I will simply buy a converter as it is a lot cheaper than the 200v models.

I'm just waiting for the stars to align just so!

Offline Jackitup

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 10:52:48 PM »
Here's another worth a look. Pretty big bang for the buck! Also, free shipping and some scratch and dent deals. Only 3 speeds but if mainly used for dough, not an issue. As far as attachments I don't know. I also have the bigger KA and also have replaced the fiber gear once on it. I've done that on other KA's I've had when I overloaded it with stiff pasta dough, thus, no more pasta doughs in the KA. Very good DIY videos on how to replace the gear, not too much of a pain.
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-mx10-10-qt-gear-driven-commercial-planetary-stand-mixer-with-guard-110v-3-4-hp/177MX10.html
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online the1mu

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 04:28:29 AM »
Thanks again for all the advice and input!!

I wound up going with the Kitchenaid 8qt commercial. Ordered it a few days ago and received it today. Cleaned and promptly made a new batch of dough for tomorrow!

Online the1mu

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 04:29:42 AM »

Here's another worth a look. Pretty big bang for the buck! Also, free shipping and some scratch and dent deals. Only 3 speeds but if mainly used for dough, not an issue. As far as attachments I don't know. I also have the bigger KA and also have replaced the fiber gear once on it. I've done that on other KA's I've had when I overloaded it with stiff pasta dough, thus, no more pasta doughs in the KA. Very good DIY videos on how to replace the gear, not too much of a pain.
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-mx10-10-qt-gear-driven-commercial-planetary-stand-mixer-with-guard-110v-3-4-hp/177MX10.html

I thought I had replied to this, but I guess I never did.

That mixer looks like a steal! If I wasn't overseas I may have gone that route! Thanks!!