Author Topic: Manual Dough Sheeter  (Read 43828 times)

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: Manual Dough Sheeter
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 01:15:47 PM »
stainless aluminum nylon and fiberglass are nsf approved.  pvc is not.  if this is going to be a commercial equipment, i'd at least look into 2.875" nylon rollers, which you can steel core for rather cheap.  or 3" aluminum tubing from an exhaust supplier like www.mandrel-bends.com

http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/tube-pipe-bar-38/round-tubing-16-gauge-64/6061-aluminum-72/3-00-od-16-gauge-aluminum-straight-tube-374.html

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 01:17:40 PM by bbp c0mpl3x »
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 02:01:38 PM »
stainless aluminum nylon and fiberglass are nsf approved.  pvc is not.  

PVC with either NSF-PW or NSF-61 is rated for potable water. Reference: http://www.nsf.org/consumer/plumbing/index.asp

The aluminum sounds like a great idea, except for the factor of the Ph of the dough on the aluminum.  Put some pictures up as soon as you start your build.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 02:18:51 PM »
PVC with either NSF-PW or NSF-61 is rated for potable water. Reference: http://www.nsf.org/consumer/plumbing/index.asp

The aluminum sounds like a great idea, except for the factor of the Ph of the dough on the aluminum.  Put some pictures up as soon as you start your build.

in his application, it's not approved.   nsf approved yes, but not for food.  you could find a coating for the aluminum though

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 04:22:46 PM »
Ok, everbody throw away your wooden pizza peels, because they aren't NSF approved for that application either. :'( :'( :'(

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 06:41:36 PM »
Ok, everbody throw away your wooden pizza peels, because they aren't NSF approved for that application either. :'( :'( :'(

lol.    home use of stuff is a different story.  using a dough sheeter i assumed it was for a professional establishment.  if a health inspector walked in and saw pcv and 2x6's stuck together running food products through it, i doubt they would let it pass.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 10:11:01 AM »
The adjustment for the thickness (thinness) of the dough is done, but not installed.  I will cover that nut with something so that it is easy to turn and adjust (and looks better).  There will be one on the other side as well. Sprockets might be in today.  Need the hand crank and hinge and some #40 chain.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 11:32:57 AM »
When you get ready to test, you might want to look over Peter's work on dough warming and ease of rolling out a warm cracker crust  dough as compared to a room temperature dough.

How wide is the rolling width?

Randy

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 12:01:05 PM »
How wide is the rolling width?

Randy

20 inches usable.
If it can't sheet the cracker dough at room temp, there may not be a big need to build one  :'( :chef:
Except if the rim maker works for other doughs 8)

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 02:23:08 PM »
jet, if you chain drive your rollers, aren't they going to both be turning cw/ccw thus defeating the purpose of a sheeter???   don't you want gear to gear?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 04:38:56 PM »
jet, if you chain drive your rollers, aren't they going to both be turning cw/ccw thus defeating the purpose of a sheeter???   don't you want gear to gear?

No. If I chain drive them, they will not necessarily be both turning the same direction.

During my research in the last 6 mos. I found this drawing buried deep in the internets.  I cant find any of the parts shown at Home Depot, Lowe's or Wally Mart. So, I'm doing it another way.  Remember, I said cheap, easy to build at home ......

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2010, 03:48:43 PM »
Sprockets arrived.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2010, 11:57:20 AM »
I have the chain drive figured out for dough sheeter #1.  I want to make DS #2 be a gear drive type.  Can someone figure out how they keep the gears meshed together when they adjust the opening of the rollers ?  I can't figure it out.  Thanks. ???

Offline sear

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2010, 01:12:27 PM »
I have the chain drive figured out for dough sheeter #1.  I want to make DS #2 be a gear drive type.  Can someone figure out how they keep the gears meshed together when they adjust the opening of the rollers ?  I can't figure it out.  Thanks. ???

ill take a guess and say some type of idler gear thats on a lever with a spring ?

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2010, 03:15:04 PM »
this should work.  not too complex, but it somewhat has to be to keep it all working correctly and allow for adjustable gap and to be able to open it up if it binds/for cleaning

edit: new picture
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 12:52:40 AM by bbp c0mpl3x »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2010, 03:27:47 PM »
I can't make it work in my brain.  It looks like it still has one roller going cw and the other ccw.  If I'm wrong (i hope so), will you use MS Paint or something and put rotation arrows on the sprockets.  Thanks for helping.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2010, 04:41:25 PM »
You know, I wonder if they have to be tied together.  I think I would give it a go just driving the bottom one and let the top roll free.

Randy

Offline holorim

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2010, 09:43:22 PM »
Hi Jet_Deck,
The drawing you have posted above refers to the basic sheeters made by Caplain (as this brand is usual in France, I used and serviced one of them during some years). Each roller is driven by one gear, and these 2 gears are meshed togheter via a third one (parts #18 in the diagramn, made in nylon). On this sheeter the meshing is preserved thanks to the depth and the special shape of the teeth of these spur gears, which are able to remain in touch even if the rollers are fully opened (~35mm). This solution is simple, but I remember that this sheeter was noisy when adjusted on the maximum opening.

Tomorrow I will try to post you a photo of a manual sheeter which is driven by a chain + an idler . In my humble opinion, the chain is more reliable than the previous design but the bests sheeters I have seen (by far !) are made by the Rondo-Doge company : their driving system is incredibly well-engineered, with duplex-chains and rods which keep the gap between the shafts constant, and so a very smooth transmission.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 12:50:40 AM »
i edited my original upload.  re-check.  i was in a rush off to work and goofed it

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2010, 01:01:13 AM »
This is great news, keep it coming!
:chef:

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2010, 01:03:06 AM »
i edited my original upload.  re-check.  i was in a rush off to work and goofed it

All is fair, in love and pizza. ;D

pizzapan