Author Topic: Manual Dough Sheeter  (Read 44559 times)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Manual Dough Sheeter
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2010, 11:57:29 AM »
Done, I think.  Weight 16 #.  Approx. cost $50
I applied some food safe silicone lube ( read Vaseline) to the bearing surfaces.  It is pretty smooth cranking, I may need to work on the chain a bit, I need a half link and I don't have one.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2010, 02:35:10 PM »
Righteous dude!

Randy

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2010, 08:07:46 AM »
It does look good.  I didn't anticipate the chain running between the sheeter gears.  I like that.  If I might make one suggestion, consider moving the drive handle to the top idler gear.  If you do that, and if you turn the crank clockwise, the chain will be self tensioning and you shouldn't need to mess with another link or worry about chain tension.
Dave

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2010, 08:45:01 AM »
It does look good.  I didn't anticipate the chain running between the sheeter gears.  I like that.  If I might make one suggestion, consider moving the drive handle to the top idler gear.  If you do that, and if you turn the crank clockwise, the chain will be self tensioning and you shouldn't need to mess with another link or worry about chain tension.
Dave

Excellent idea.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2010, 06:15:42 PM »
I picked up two 15" rolling pins at the restaurant supply store to start the new build.  I want one like holorim put pictures up of.  The raise/ lower mechanism is alot nicer than what I have now.  Hopefully this build won't be so home made looking,  I believe it will look store bought and still be around the $50 range.  If I was smart, I would make 2 and sell the other one for more cheese money.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2010, 08:40:14 AM »
I was able to get the side plates cut and drilled and the appropriate slotted holes cut.  I also got both of the up and down plates (that hold the top roller) cut, and drilled and slotted.  Also got the 2 round disc's with the holes drilled off-center done.  These rolling pins are great, only $13 and they have stainless steel bearings and a nice heavy 5/16" stainless rod.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2010, 11:00:27 AM »
Did I miss the test on the PVC prototype?  How did it work?

Randy

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2010, 11:47:13 AM »
Did I miss the test on the PVC prototype?  How did it work?

Randy

I didn't get a true test yet, but I talked about using it as a laminator (to get lots of layers) starting at reply 21 here:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11536.20.html

Basically, I have not done the DKM cracker style yet, to get a true test.  Also, the drive handle needs to be moved as suggested by Tampa.

Offline ShuswapBBQ

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2010, 01:13:32 PM »
Hey Jet I think you should bring one of those up here to the Shuswap as I ahve a pizza oven in my prep trailer that you could use and sell pizzas on the side of the road while you are here

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2010, 04:00:40 PM »
If it works, not only can do pizza but also roll out puff pastry.

Randy

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2010, 11:28:43 AM »
Hey Jet I think you should bring one of those up here to the Shuswap as I ahve a pizza oven in my prep trailer that you could use and sell pizzas on the side of the road while you are here

Gladly ShuswapBBQ, I would vend with you anytime. 

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2010, 12:44:54 AM »
Dry fit and fixing mistakes.  This model is hands above the pvc version, very solid and sturdy.

Offline toekneemac

« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2010, 10:58:57 AM »
Please, HURRY UP!  I am dying to know how this works!!  The suspense is killing me!!!

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2010, 05:05:42 PM »
Easy there, young grasshopper.  Rome wasn't build in just a day. ;D ;D ;D

Offline toekneemac

« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2010, 03:12:28 PM »
lol  Well, based on what I see so far in your design, it looks like it will work flawlessly.  Nice solid parts.  Once mounted onto a solid base, your sheeter should work perfectly.  Will you post detailed/printable plans of your work once you are finished, so the rest of us can have an easier time constructing our own from the fruits of your labor???  LOL 

Also, are the disks with the off center holes, rotary cams of some sort for thickness adjustment?  Is your model a replica of the manufactured one that you posted ealier?  IE: Is it the same design in principle?  Will you put a finish (paint, laquer,  powder coat, etc) on the steel at all once you confirm that your machine works the way that you want it?  Are any of your parts stainless steel?  Would you prefer or upgrade to stainless once you have confirmed?

I can't wait to see the finished results. 

Thanks

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2010, 11:07:04 AM »
... Will you post detailed/printable plans of your work once you are finished ...

... Is your model a replica of the manufactured one that you posted ealier?  IE: Is it the same design in principle?  Will you put a finish (paint, laquer,  powder coat, etc) on the steel ...

The majority of the build is based on the diameter of the rollers.  So, dimensions wouldn't be that helpful.  When it comes to stuff like this, I generally don't put plans up.  The cold hearted reason is that I figure that if you can't look at it and do it yourself, then a set of plans really isn't going to help alot anyway.  That being said, I would gladly go back and label the pictures of the side plates to show what holes are for what and how to figure dimensions given what size your rolling pins are.

Yes, a clone of the Mitropain model that Holorim put pictures up of.  The finish, once I wipe this thing down with denatured alcohol, will be olive oil to keep it clean and to dissuade rust.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2010, 11:10:36 AM »
more pictures

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2010, 02:56:29 PM »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2010, 09:09:50 AM »
Weighing in at a hefty 23 pounds, this model is pretty nice.  I took it home and put a 18 layer lamination on an emergency dough that I have been using lately.  The unit shows alot of promise but it's not quite finished yet.  There were a few issues that need attention.  The rollers probably need to be sanded with some really fine sandpaper to prevent sticking of the dough.  I need to make a larger gap between the sprocket and the side of the roller, so that the chain can fully engage the teeth.  I need to take a link out of the chain.  Also finish the handle for the adjustment of the roller gap.

The dough tore because of operator error and this dough didn't lend itself (from what I know) to being laminated and sheeted.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2010, 02:20:40 PM »
For a first test, I call that a huge success.

Randy

pizzapan