Author Topic: Cleaning the pizza stone  (Read 1344 times)

Offline TdeV

• Supporting Member
Cleaning the pizza stone
« on: July 19, 2010, 03:32:06 PM »
Hi, I've started using my new pizza stone. Can I leave the pizza stone in the oven when I use the self-clean cycle?

Thanks

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Cleaning the pizza stone
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 08:17:57 AM »
Probably OK, but it depends on the stone and things.  Stones expand when heated.  If the stone is wet, and water is trapped inside and turns into steam then it could crack.  If you have cooked a few times and not run water over the stone, moisture probably isn't a concern.  If you ramp the temperature too quickly, then the outside expands faster than the inside and it tends to crack.  Many little black egg folks have experienced cracked stones with the thin ones at Target, etc.  (~ $20)

The >1/2" thick Cordierite stones tend to perform well.  I've run mine up beyond 850F quickly over a hot flame and never had a problem.  It does clean the surface well.

Dave

Offline TdeV

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 12:59:32 PM »
Thanks for your reply, Dave. I have an Old Stone OvenŽ from Kitchen Supply Company.

I've just received a response from the retailer which said "It is normal for the stone to accumulate stains from drippings.  This will not alter the taste of your pizza or bread. However, cooking residue may smoke and create odors.  A scouring pad will remove most
burned on bits.  If the accumulation is heavy, then a thorough sanding with a hard abrasive, like emery paper, may be necessary.  Small stains can be removed by scrubbing with a toothbrush and a paste made of baking soda and water."

They also said "No, you may not leave it in the oven while in the self-clean cycle."

Advice?

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 04:29:51 PM »
Advice?  How can I go against the manufacturer?

I agree that stains rarely, if ever, alter the taste of the pizza.  The cleaning suggestions sound fine up to toothpaste part.  I suppose baking soda is inert enough.  I've only used water in the past and have seen other forum posts saying the same.  (Try a forum search.)

Dave

Offline TdeV

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 06:59:59 PM »
In my last message, I posted that the RETAILER said I couldn't put the pizza stone through the self-clean cycle of the oven. Since then, the MANUFACTURER said I could . . . So, I'm all set for next time. This time I've already run the self-cleaning cycle (set off all the fire alarms in the house last night  :-D ), so I need some additional strategy.

You said "I've run mine up beyond 850F quickly over a hot flame and never had a problem.  It does clean the surface well."

Could you tell me more about this? The hot flame is gas on the stovetop? How did you hold the stone?

Offline sconosciuto

• A man of extremes
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 07:38:01 PM »
In my last message, I posted that the RETAILER said I couldn't put the pizza stone through the self-clean cycle of the oven. Since then, the MANUFACTURER said I could . . . So, I'm all set for next time. This time I've already run the self-cleaning cycle (set off all the fire alarms in the house last night  :-D ), so I need some additional strategy.

I don't get it, why so obsessed with having a clean stone?  Just scrape off any burnt-on foods, they're just war scars and don't impart any negative flavor to the pizza.  I recommend focusing all that effort toward not spilling your toppings on the stone in the first place. :-D

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 08:05:41 PM »
TdeV,

I don't know who the manufacturer of your stone is but as a rule of thumb...never use any water on a pizza stone. Ever. Not even a damp sponge to wipe stuff off.

If you spill something, it'll burn and you can simply scrape it off like member sconosciuto suggested.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 09:08:49 AM »
I would defiantly not use a scourer!

There's a good chance it has other chemicals in it.

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 05:47:16 PM »
Hmmm...
I have an "old stone" brand stone and have cleaned it by leaving it on the oven floor during the self cleaning cycle at least half a dozen times.  Had quite a few messy mis-haps, especially in the beginning of my on going learning curve.
Always came out fine and looking like brand new, with a tiny amount of light ash left behind that just brushed off.
Now I am not going on the record advising anyone to ignore what the manufacturer said, just what I have done in my apparent ignorance that worked for me...

Offline TdeV

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 05:32:51 PM »
The MANUFACTURER said the stone could go through the self-clean cycle. The RETAILER had said it couldn't go through the self-clean cycle, but I kept asking questions.

The stone is an Old Stone Oven pizza stone from the Kitchen Supply Company.

Offline Scott Albericci

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 08:54:03 AM »
what are you guys talking about I just thaw a pizza and put it in my oven WHAT ARE YOU DOING

Offline TdeV

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 10:46:09 AM »
Was that a serious question, Scott?

Offline sear

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 04:03:56 PM »
what are you guys talking about I just thaw a pizza and put it in my oven WHAT ARE YOU DOING

As one would infer by the website named "Pizzamaking.com" we are "making pizza" WHAT ARE YOU DOING ??

pizzapan