Author Topic: Type of flour for cultures matter?  (Read 810 times)

Offline TarHeelPizza

Type of flour for cultures matter?
« on: July 28, 2010, 01:23:20 PM »
I've ordered some starter kits from sourdo.com.  I'm curious if the type of white flour used to activate and maintain a culture makes any difference in the ultimate texture or taste.  Does the gluten content matter? 

I normally use either kasl or all trumps for making ny style pizzas.  Would you recommend using those for the culture or would it be ok to simply use ap flour?

Neil

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Type of flour for cultures matter?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 04:42:20 PM »
Neil, I've often wondered the same thing.  I don't think it will affect the end product much unless you are working with a large percentage of starter.   

If I'm using under 5% starter for a longer ferment I can't see it making a big difference.  If I'm using 40-50% starter then yes since I feed my starters with mostly bleached AP flour. 

JT
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 05:46:54 PM by Jackie Tran »

buceriasdon

Re: Type of flour for cultures matter?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 05:24:50 PM »
WooooooooooooHooooooooo!! ;D I found unbromated Gold Medal Better for Bread flour in the next big town. Now I can start over with my starter culture and use the right flour for feeding. Mine started out great but I tried using AP flour here in Mexico and had to stand by and watch it daily die off...........sniff. But all that is behind me now.......it's a new day !!!! The flour cost me $7.50 for 5 lbs. gads......
Don
oh yea, it's true use only unbromated flour to feed your starter