Author Topic: Chicago Style Deep Dish Sauce  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Cosmo

• I Love Pizza!
Chicago Style Deep Dish Sauce
« on: April 01, 2005, 02:01:49 PM »
Does anyone have a recipe and instructions on how to make an authentic "Lou Malnati's" style sauce?

Thanks for the help!

Cosmo

Offline Cosmo

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Chicago Style Deep Dish Sauce
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 03:37:42 PM »
Found this today:   :)   

"Spoon the 6-in-1 tomatoes straight from the can onto your pizza. I'm serious, they're that good.

Maybe add a little fresh chopped basil, or some fresh copped garlic. That all you'll need."

Thanks!!

Offline LowRent

• 'za apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 04:50:25 PM »
Found this today:   :)   

"Spoon the 6-in-1 tomatoes straight from the can ...
Thanks!!

What are 6-in-1 tomatoes?  Is this a brand?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 05:18:39 PM »
LowRent,

Yes, 6-in-1s are a brand name of a company by the name of Escalon, at http://www.escalon.net/home.asp. You can order the 6-in-1s directly from Escalon, at low shipping costs, although there are some supermarkets and upper end food stores that carry them at the retail level. It all depends where you live, but since Escalon is in CA, you are more likely to find them in the West and Southwest parts of the country. Many of our members tend to favor the 6-in-1 ground unpeeled tomatoes, but if you do a site search under Escalon or 6-in-1, you will find different ways the tomatoes are used, including other brands of canned tomatoes sold by Escalon. The 6-in-1s are especially popular for deep-dish pizzas, but they can also be used on regular pizzas.

Peter

Offline LowRent

• 'za apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 08:01:29 AM »
Pete-zza,
Thanks for the info.  After posting I did a Google and confirmed that 6 IN 1 were tomatoes.  I had not, however, confirmed that it was the ground UNpealed that were most popular.  I'll try those first.

Thanks again.

Offline buzz

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 02:34:15 PM »
As far as I know, Malnati's uses crushed whole tomatoes (canned). The best are San Marzano's from Italy (although sonme brands tend to be more acidic than others).  If you live in the West, S&W makes an excellent product. You can flavor these with garlic, basil, oregano, sugar, olive oil, S and P, etc., according to your personal taste.

Of course, 6-in-1's are excellent as well!

pizzapan