Author Topic: Looking for a new pizza dough recipe - something different?  (Read 666 times)

Offline PrettyOrchid

I am looking for a new pizza dough recipe - something that isn't the traditional:

Yeast & water
Flour
Salt
Sugar
Oil

I make pizza every month or two, my family prefers homemade to chain pizza or even local restaurant pizzas. While the old standard is a good recipe, I'd like to try something different. Seems that every single pizza dough recipe I get tastes the same, no matter how you switch around or alter the amounts of the main ingredients.
Any ideas? Your favourites? Tried and true recipes? Thanks!

buceriasdon

Re: Looking for a new pizza dough recipe - something different?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 07:43:21 AM »
Good morning, Try cornmeal roughly 2 parts flour to one part cornmeal. Alternately try Harina de Masa available in the Mexican section of most supermarkets. The flavor is a bit more subtle than cornmeal.
Regards, Don
oops, shouldn't leave out sourdoughs
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:51:57 AM by buceriasdon »

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 08:19:51 AM »
Seems that every single pizza dough recipe I get tastes the same, no matter how you switch around or alter the amounts of the main ingredients.

That's not the case with me.  If I do, say, a 2.5 minute pie rather than a 4 minute pie, it's an entirely different pizza. If I change up my thickness factor, the taste differs dramatically.  If I'm cold fermenting, one day in any direction gives me something almost unrecognizable from the day before. There's numerous discussions here about the impact of water alterations, yeast alterations, as well as oil. If I go 1% oil, it's noticeably different from 3%.

And this is all within my favorite style (NY).  If I wanted to go cracker, Sicilian or deep dish,that would really be mixing things up.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 08:22:16 AM by scott123 »

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 05:34:47 PM »
Try different flours, both type (AP, bread, hi-gluten or 00  Italian style), or different brands. Try sourdough instead of commercial yeast. Try different oils if you use oil (I never do), or different sweeteners (sugar, honey, aguave etc.). Lenghten ferment times and try both room temp and cold. Lots of variables to experiment with, to say nothing of cooking times and temperatures.