Author Topic: Anyone else love Muir Glen crushed tomatoes?  (Read 5568 times)

Offline LowRent

• 'za apprentice
Anyone else love Muir Glen crushed tomatoes?
« on: April 01, 2005, 05:19:40 PM »
For anyone who can find it but hasnít tried it, the Muir Glen Organic Crushed Tomatoes w/Basil is excellent as a sauce.† It may be a little thin, depending on preferences.† So, you may want to add Muir Glen Organic Tomato Paste and heat.

The flavor is bright & sweet.† It does not taste sour or acidic, nor does it acquire the flavor of the container.† Itís not cheap, though.† I used to be able to find the 28 oz. cans for $1.69, but not anymore.† The lowest I can find it now is around $2.89.† Usually a can is in the low to mid $3.00 range.

Let me know how you like it if you have tried or try it now.

I havenít tried the Escalon 6 IN 1.† So, I canít compare the two.† However, Iíve just ordered 6 cans based on recommendations found here.

Offline captain-insano

• Lets eat!
Re: Anyone else love Muir Glen crushed tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 07:26:05 PM »
I like them. But have never compared to Red Pack or 6 in1 since I can not find them in town.

Offline LowRent

• 'za apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 03:30:52 PM »
please post a taste comparison when they arrive.

Will do. 

Offline LowRent

• 'za apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 03:34:15 PM »
I like them. But have never compared to Red Pack or 6 in1 since I can not find them in town.

You can order Escalon 6 IN 1 direct from Escalon for $2.50 / 28 oz can.  No tax, and shipping is $1.50 for 6 cans. 

Give 'em a try.  I just ordered mine recently.  Haven't rec'd 'em yet.  It would be interesting to have at least two opinions of Muir Glen Organic as compared to 6 IN 1 & others. 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 04:14:54 PM »
Until I became aware of the 6-in-1s, my favorite was the Muir Glen organic tomatoes. For just about all my life, until I got to Texas and found that I could only grow tomatoes if I didn't leave home for more than a few days (during which my plants would suffer from the brutal Texas sun), I grew everything organically. I found the Muir Glen organic tomatoes, as well as their canned pizza sauce, to be far better than any of the other brands of canned tomatoes I had tried until then. I still like them, but when I got the 6-in-1s and compared them side-by-side with the Miir Glens, I personally liked the 6-in-1s better. I use them on just about all kinds of pizzas, and especially† the deep-dish, where I like their simple, fresh flavor. I am also extremely fond of the San Marzanos, especially for the Neapolitan style pizzas, out of respect and admiration for the way things are done in Naples. I sometimes combine the San Marzanos with the 6-in-1s, also with good results.

One of the things I have learned in life is that there are no absolutes. That applies to everything, including tomato preferences, and the only absolute statement I can make is that there are no absolutes. That is why it is important to determine what you like, rather than rely on what others like or the experts say you should like. And not to be afraid to challenge what is held out to be conventional wisdom. Often conventional wisdom is wrong or at least suspect. Of late, I have seen this questioning quality in fellow member Cheesy and I admire it since it reminds me that there are no absolutes and that I should make up my own mind about things and not delegate that responsibility to others.

Peter

Offline LowRent

• 'za apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 05:01:05 PM »
One of the things I have learned in life is that there are no absolutes. That applies to everything, including tomato preferences, and the only absolute statement I can make is that there are no absolutes. That is why it is important to determine what you like, rather than rely on what others like or the experts say you should like. And not to be afraid to challenge what is held out to be conventional wisdom. Often conventional wisdom is wrong or at least suspect.
Peter

This is one of the reasons I mentioned Muir Glen Organic.† Some may prefer it.† I know it is a good quality product.† I do not know, yet, whether I will prefer it to 6 IN 1, Cento San Marzano w/DOP & serial number, or Muir Glen Organic.

Even if I prefer one of these products I will keep several of the others around just for a change of pace.† I have a favorite spaghetti sauce & chili recipe too, but I donít use it every time Ďcause Iíll get burned out on it.† Good to have good quality alternatives just for variety IMO.

I can get Muir Glen & Cento San Marzano (didnít know to check for serial numbers & DOP at the time so I donít know if Iíve got the right ones or not) at a grocery store thatís about 1.5 miles away.† No Escalon though.† I can always ask.

Donít know what Iím talking about with the DOP and the serial numbers?† Take a look at post #6 from Pete-zza on this thread.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 09:35:55 AM by LowRent »

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 07:24:03 AM »
Yes Muir Glen are my favorites as well. I used to use 6-1 but the tomatoes started tasting different to me...more metalic tang to them not fresh and sweet as the Muir Glens... Muir Glen also has a fire roasted variety which have a smokey flavor....my my ....so good... adds that brick oven kick to your pies!!

Offline LowRent

• 'za apprentice
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 10:07:56 AM »
Yes Muir Glen are my favorites as well.... Muir Glen also has a fire roasted variety which have a smokey flavor....my my ....so good... adds that brick oven kick to your pies!!

I have been impressed with every single Muir Glen item I've had the please to eat, save for one.  I did not care for--ta da, the pizza sauce.

The Fire Roasted tomatoes are outstanding.

Hopefully my 6 IN 1s will be here soon.  I just can't wait to try them.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 09:45:32 PM »
I know this is an old topic but I tried a can of the Muir Glen Organic whole peeled tomatoes and made a sauce with it a few days back.I used a hand mixer and pulse mixed the tomatoes into nearly a puree type,but not crushed either.I did not strain the juice from it.I used it all for a sauce.It was very good.

Its a little watery this way,so you can add a little puree or a tiny paste if you need to thicken it more.I did not add anything,except some spices like oregano,salt,garlic powder,etc.I did not have to add sugar,it was sweet enough out of the can.

I was surprised as how good the tomatoes were,not bitter at all.A bit more sweet than other cans I have tried.It had a very nice tomato smell and taste.

The fire roasted ones sound promising too,I may try them next time.Im all about trying new products,just wanted to bring this back up to the top.

I also bought a can of Muir Glen pre made pizza sauce.It will be for a kids pizza.I will post back how it tastes in the near future.Of course we all dont like the same things,but dont mind sharing either way.
 :)

-Bill

Offline xrayguy

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 07:50:58 PM »
I just found that Central Market here in Texas carries Muir Glen organic ground tomatoes. I don't know how the texture of these compare to the fabled 6-1s, but I really enjoyed them. They had a great taste and were a value at 2.79/28oz can. I used these on a deep dish and will be using these again, but I'm also open to trying the other locally available brands.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 05:00:11 PM »
Muir Glen organic crushed tomatoes cost $3.57 for the 28 oz can in my neck of the woods. I think that's kind of expensive, and the "organic" b.s. does not impress me. However, I am in the process of doing a crushed tomatoes taste test for the Serious Eats/Slice website, so I'll buy a can of two and include them in my project. THE FIRE ROASTED are good, but they two have jumped significantly in price lately.

Offline pizzard

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 05:42:35 PM »
I recently made a pizza with Muir Glen tomato sauce (prefer the no salt added version).  My hyper picky daughter said it was the best pizza I've ever made.  We all really like this choice for our thin crust pizzas.

For a Chicago style however, I would probably still opt for the 6 in 1's.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 08:10:56 PM »
I recently made a pizza with Muir Glen tomato sauce (prefer the no salt added version).  My hyper picky daughter said it was the best pizza I've ever made.  We all really like this choice for our thin crust pizzas.

For a Chicago style however, I would probably still opt for the 6 in 1's.

I have been on the search for some more Muir cans in the stores but had no luck.One of the stores stopped carrying the can I want to buy again.Not gonna mail order it,since I dont want it that badly,but I did find a few other Muir Glen diced tomatoes in the small cans.I'm going to puree them up into a sauce soon and then post in a few days how it turned out.

I really want to do more experiments with them to see how they rate up there for me along Cento and 6 in 1's.

:)

-Bill

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 08:49:42 PM »
@chickenparm, I've only been seeing them at Walmart lately, and they aren't with the regular canned tomato products, but rather in a seperate section with the "organics" and more upscale "pricey" stuff.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 12:02:39 AM »
@chickenparm, I've only been seeing them at Walmart lately, and they aren't with the regular canned tomato products, but rather in a seperate section with the "organics" and more upscale "pricey" stuff.

Yesterday,I bought 3 small cans from walmart.They were the dice tomatoes only.Nothing else was available.
I said,ah well,I will try and make a sauce with it.I pureed them up,It was gross in the end.It did not taste like the other muir cans I had before.

Wayy too salty and chemical tasting.Then again,I know this is not the whole peeled,or a crushed tomatoes can I was looking for either.I dont doubt that making dice tomatoes into a puree made it taste worse somehow.
 :(

-Bill

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 08:14:54 PM »
I just saw that Amazon carries Muir Glen Organic Ground Peeled Tomatoes. Today's price is $34.80 for 12 x 28oz cans or $29.58 with subscribe and save. I'm also going to check out the Christina's Organic Ground Tomatoes in Heavy Puree from Escalon, which some people compare to their well-loved 6 in 1. 6 cans for $17.94 plus $1.50 shipping, so they sure aren't cheap.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
  • gameplay engineer / pizza maker
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 10:39:13 AM »
This is the only thing i use for sauce, the flavor is amazing!  I'm tempted to try to thicken it up with some paste, but it's just so easy to pop the can (or grab the leftovers from the fridge) and spread.

My favorite brick-oven sourdough place used Tomato Magic crushed tomatoes, and they were awesome (that place had bad management and is sadly no longer in business) - i wound up finding Muir Glen's while trying to find a small can of the Tomato Magic (i don't think they exist)
i'm making a pizza utility app.  check it out and give suggestions! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30444.0

pizzapan