Author Topic: Round Table cheese -smokin  (Read 2288 times)

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
Round Table cheese -smokin
« on: July 30, 2010, 09:54:15 PM »
I recently came across the 30 pound box for their cheese. The label is 80 % low moisture whole milk mozzarella, 10% sharp cheddar, 10 % provolone with added smoke flavoring. I always assumed the smoky flavor was in the sauce. I don't have the sauce ingredients -yet.

Also, I believe the portion of cheese used to be 5-3-1. Looks like mozzarella must be cheaper recently.

Offline DNA Dan

Re: Round Table cheese -smokin
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
Awesome find! I won't ask how you got your hands on it  ::)

I never would have thought of flavoring the cheese! I always just assumed this came from grease burning in the oven.

In regard to the ratios, I personally think 4-1-1 or the 5-3-1 you mention is closer to the real thing. Since it's on the box however as being 8-1-1, then I would assume the cheddar portion is a very sharp robust cheddar. I don't recall such a small amount of cheddar on their pies, so perhaps they changed this. I recall seeing the orange cheese in there.

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 01:15:20 AM »
The box came as luck. Someone was helping me move some things and brought boxes.  The box has moved on but the info is exactly as posted. I just wanted to get the info out there.

Possibly RTP has different cheese blocks for different pizzas, but I doubt it. I did notice they are using whole milk mozzarella.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 12:27:39 PM »
Elsegundo

What an excellent find !!! :o SO glad the box caught your eye. thanks for posting ;D

Any guesses on the age of the box?

I noticed a change in the cheese ratios sometime early to mid 90's. The cheddar was more visually obvious than it currently is but didn't notice much in the way of a flavor change. So I had been wondering if part of the cheddar was white cheddar. So maybe they just upgraded to Sharp cheddar and reduced the overall amount.

Funny about the smoke flavor...I always felt that the pepperoni was the primary culprit because the smoked provelone brands I've used always overwhelmed everthing else when I've tried to use it. Guess I'll keep trying out more brands.

Lydia
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 05:55:51 PM »
It it clear from the box if the provolone is smoke flavor? Of if the entire cheese mixture has a smoke flavor added to it?

pizzapan