Author Topic: Pizza Inn Sausage  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Cosmas

Pizza Inn Sausage
« on: July 31, 2010, 03:16:55 AM »
Is anyone privy to what type of sausage it is? Or is there something you guys think is comperable? It seems to me like its similar to a breakfast sausage. I'm not a huge fan of italian sausage because generally its too large; if its bigger than a nickel, I'll pass. I have a small mouth. :(  I'm about to start the 'making my own sausage' process but I was wondering what you guys would recommend. It would be AWESOME if there was something tasty out there thats already balled up and ready to just sprinkle over the sauce. I see a marketing opportunity for someone out there  ::)

Thanks.

Offline Cosmas

Re: Pizza Inn Sausage
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 03:18:15 AM »
I have a small mouth. :( 

Bad choice of words.. don't read anything into that. :-X

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 03:20:03 AM »
try 'hormel crumbled pork topping'  most shops seem to use this.  pretty much the non-spicy sausage market is dominated by this.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline cranky

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 12:00:31 PM »
Is anyone privy to what type of sausage it is? Or is there something you guys think is comperable? It seems to me like its similar to a breakfast sausage. I'm not a huge fan of italian sausage because generally its too large; if its bigger than a nickel, I'll pass. I have a small mouth. :(  I'm about to start the 'making my own sausage' process but I was wondering what you guys would recommend. It would be AWESOME if there was something tasty out there thats already balled up and ready to just sprinkle over the sauce. I see a marketing opportunity for someone out there  ::)

Thanks.

I have been making my own sausage for years.  I make different kinds, but mainly Italian.  You don't have to stuff it in casings, but I do.  I make between 20 and 35 lb batches and freeze it.  I give some away to family and otyher beggars who enjoy it.  If you are going to make sausage it takes a decent amount of time and it does not make sense to make a small amount.  I recommend for the hobbyist who makes sausage only three or four times per year, getting an electric grinder.  Since you don't want to stuff it, no need to discuss that equipment.  It is much more difficult to get the skinnier casings over the horn anyway.  Everytime you make a batch write down the measurments of what you do.  That way you can repeat it if it turns out well and tweak it to your liking from batch to batch.  If you are serious about making sausage I'll share a recipe, but need to know the weight of meat going in.  Making great sausage is easy if you are willing to put in great ingredients that cost money.  Commercial sausage makers use scraps and flavor it as cheaply as possible.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 09:16:01 PM »
cranky, I make my own also, but not in the quantity that you do.  How do you flavor your sweet Italian sausage beside the usual salt, pepper, fennel seeds and perhaps garlic? Any secrets you're will to give away?

Offline cranky

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 12:41:09 AM »
cranky, I make my own also, but not in the quantity that you do.  How do you flavor your sweet Italian sausage beside the usual salt, pepper, fennel seeds and perhaps garlic? Any secrets you're will to give away?

I buy chunks of pork loins that are odd shapes vacuum packed.  You have the basic ingredients already.  Instead of loading the ground meat with pork fat I use lean pork.  That would make the sausage dry, so I use olive oil and ice cold chicken broth to keep it juicy and moist.  I sometimes add fresh garlic mashed in a blender with a little oil to make a paste (optional).  In 20-30 lbs I probably put a pound and a half of grated parmesan.  Minor ingredients are oregano and red pepper flakes, just a little, maybe some dried basil if you want.   As you add oil and broth and mix in the cheese and spices the more you mix and massage the meat with your hands the firmer it gets and the more liquid it will hold. It kind of gels up.  In 25 lbs I probably add a quart and a half of broth and a pint or more of oil.  That sounds like a lot, but remember there is no fat.  Grind your pepper fresh.

I use a garden hose powered stuffer and probably stuff 30 lbs in less than a half hour including the twists.  Pinch and twist in one direction and the next twist in the other.  Start in the middle and work towards the ends.

Friends just about beg to help me make sausage and take some home.  Family on the east coast (NYC) want me to bring some when I visit.  I have never given out the ingredients before.  It is a very messy event to stuff sausage.  I do it outside.

pizzapan