Author Topic: Two Pie Friday  (Read 2917 times)

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
Two Pie Friday
« on: April 01, 2005, 05:49:44 PM »
After a few days in NY my family wanted a pepperoni & Italian salami with Grande whole milk. The second pie is a Margherita with mostly fresh mozzarella. One thing I was disappointed in with the pies in NY was the total lack of oven spring. I do not have that same problem...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 05:53:29 PM by pftaylor »
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pftaylor

Re: Two Pie Friday
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 05:51:06 PM »
And the Margherita...
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 06:04:52 PM »
wow those pies look good !

what temp did you bake those at ?

is that just a regular recipe ? ... the dough looks *very* restaurant style,
I'm really liking the look of the dough in that first image.

really good.

Mark
-Sweek Liquor Eases The Pain -
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 06:12:18 PM »
Bacon,
I always appreciate your informed comments. You have watched me steadily progress over these past months and I owe it all to members like yourself.

I have to guess on the temperature question but the manufacturer of my grill claims it is 800 degrees at the grate level so I guess that's the answer. It is a 3 minute bake basically or just about. The second of the two pies always takes a little less time because the grill is really hauling you-know-what by that time.

The recipe used is the Patsy's recipe located in the reverse engineering thread. The only change to the formula is the addition of 1/2 teaspoon of oil. Otherwise I followed the formula exactly. I also employed the dough stretching technique I watched at the Patsy's in East Harlem and it worked beautifully.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 05:42:48 AM by pftaylor »
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline wayno

• grandson loves PIZZA
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 06:20:09 PM »
LOOKS GREAT!

Lets have a web meeting in TAMPA!

PFTAYLOR,

Thanks for all your efforts on your NYC trip!  Your info and phots are most valued by newbies like myself!

Wayno
At night, I either sleep, make love or dream about making pizza.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 06:22:49 PM »
Hi PF, ( what is your name anyway ? )  ::)  ;D

Thanks for the comments, and yeah I was *JUST* in that thread, and looking at your images you posted
that you took at Patsy's.

If you live near there, have you ever thought of getting hired for a few hours a week so you can learn from them ?

I've often thought of how neat it would be to get a job at a local joint here, even if for a few months, the experience would be
amazing, and something nobody can take away from you later.  I bet I would learn a lot.

I thought at first you were sneaking images there, but then I see you were quite open about it, how did Jose deal with you snapping pix of him at work ? ..... they seemed like they were good sports, was he worried u wanted this dough recipe ? ....

anyway that's great they were so open with you.  Anyway great pizza, I will go check out the recipe.

Keep up the good work.  Btw, I didn't really think you were doing your pies on a BBQ !!, wow, amazing !

I saw your little avatar "cooking at 800 degrees" but didn't think that's how you did it..... ah ! ,,,, gives me ideas !

Mark

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 06:36:04 PM »
Wayno,
I promised you I would take a load of pictures. Hope they all help...

Bacon,
My first name is Peter and I would love to learn from one or more of the true masters. As a dream experience, I would want to spend a week with you first drinking beer - I mean understanding the complexities of yeast so I could put all that I was about to learn into proper context. I would bet you have a fair understanding of yeast.

Then I would hustle down to TX and learn an Asian-like discipline from pete-zza. It would be necessary to remember all that I was about to learn. I would also learn to dial-in the hidden detective inside of me. I would bet pete-zza scientifically understands the universe of pizza better than most. And once he does learn something new, you get the sense he is like an elephant - he doesn't forget.

Then I would be ready to approach someone like pizzanapoletana, ilpizzaiolo, dinks, bakerboy, DC PM, Anthony Mangieri of Una Pizza Napoletana or Chris Bianco of Pizzeria Bianco.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 05:43:27 AM by pftaylor »
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 06:38:51 PM »
I thought your had an infrared thermometer. You can get one for less than $100 now

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 06:51:38 PM »
hey Peter, it would be great to spend a week drinking beer, and you learning about yeast, but I doubt we'd get much done LOL  ;D
we'd be laughing and partying too much hehehehe.

Well your pizza images made me hungry ! so I pulled out the KA and am mixing dough right now !

here's a very pic taken about 2 mins ago.  Got the dough going in the KA and a nice cold Stout poured for myself ( all homebrewed )

Mark

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 06:52:43 PM »
Varasano,
No I have not bought one. Maybe I should to get over the last hurdle...

Bacon,
I forgot to answer your question about how Jose recieved my taking a couple of dozen pictures. The first minute or two of any conversation is always interesting. I always explain why I'm there and ask permission to take pictures. Once I engage the pizzaiolo in meaningful conversation about their life's work its fairly easy from there. It's not an everyday occurence to have someone walk into your store and "talk" your language.

I practiced for the first time at Anthony's Coal-Fired Pizza in Fort Lauderdale, FL a month or so ago. To my surprise Michaelangelo, the owner, was wide open. As my first real in-depth encounter, it gave me the courage to ask Jose and others a lot of questions.

I have found that each pizzaiolo is passionate about pizza in some regard. When they sense my passion, they don't worry about trade secrets because in truth there really aren't any.

I read on another thread about how there is a lot of misleading information being put out there by these pizza shop owners. I can tell you that I have never sensed any form of deception at all and I make a lot of money in my field by being able to read people and interpret situations correctly.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 06:57:31 PM »
Bacon,
That beer looks better than my pizza. Could you imagine having them together?
Oh my!
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 07:00:33 PM »
Hi Peter, you must be good with dealing with others, good for you, yeah I guess it's all in how your approach the person, and how you act, making them feel at ease etc... very good.  Anyway nice of him to be so nice.

Mark

Btw, here is some beer I served to my dad while he visited at Easter.
( all three glasses are classic Pilners, with a bit of wheat in them, good for summer drinking )

I just finished making 3 different honey beers 2 weeks ago and they are all getting ready for summer. 5 gallons of each one
:-) yeah :-)

here are some pix taken yesterday from a beer I made....  this is a dark amber ale.
http://modena.intergate.ca/personal/logos/IMG_2944.JPG
http://modena.intergate.ca/personal/logos/IMG_2943.JPG
http://modena.intergate.ca/personal/logos/IMG_2945.JPG

« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 10:22:52 AM by canadianbacon »

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2005, 05:33:19 AM »
Bacon,
Your beer is awesome. Do you make it commercially or just for your use? Everytime I look at your freshly crafted beers I think first about how great it would be to guzzle a few with you. Then my mind wanders to how versitile yeast truly is. What is the shelf life of homemade beer anyway?
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2005, 10:21:07 AM »
Hi Peter,

Thanks  ;)

The shelf life of most homemade beer is about a year, most don't stick around that long however.  With proper temps, ( celler temps) and a good protection from the sun, and a layer of Co2 on top of the beer, it can last a long time.

Btw, last night for some reason I think the forum went dead, - I tried posting right after making that last post I did and the forum was dead for hours.  I tried several other sites and they were all running. 

I wonder if anyone else noticed this ? ......

Mark

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2005, 10:40:52 AM »
Btw, last night for some reason I think the forum went dead, - I tried posting right after making that last post I did and the forum was dead for hours.  I tried several other sites and they were all running. 

I wonder if anyone else noticed this ? ......

Mark

I noticed the same thing, couldn't get on the site for quite a while  ???
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2005, 07:25:11 PM »
Bacon,
How much would it cost to get "in the game" of making hand crafted beers? Is there a range from low to high which I could use as a cost guide?

On the table for hobby expansion right now is an outdoor oven, a gelato machine, and a convincing way to reproduce cannolis.

Beer could be right around the corner... 
www.wood-firedpizza.com