Author Topic: Re: Classico/6-in-1s Tomato Sauces Using Steve's (Ev's) Seasonings Mix  (Read 5439 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Classico/6-in-1s Tomato Sauces Using Steve's (Ev's) Seasonings Mix
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 12:01:50 PM »
I mixed Novemberís #2 sauce according to his directions.  For the first test I used 18 grams of water to add to the herbs & spices.  That wasnít enough water, after being microwaved above 160 degrees F.  I used 28 grams of water for the second microwaving and that seemed to be enough, but might use a little more water in the future.  I used my digital thermometer to measure the temperature right after microwaving.

It seems like this is a lot of herbs and spices for a 28 oz. can, but after it is microwaved becomes like a paste if I followed directions right. 

I opened cans of Classico crushed tomatoes and the 6-in-1s and gave them a quick taste test before any ingredients were added.  I donít know if my taste buds were fooling me or not, but the Classico crushed tomatoes seemed a tad bit sweeter than the 6-in-1s, but both tasted almost identical in all other ways.

These are the pictures of the process and the one spice & herb mixture I didnít add enough water before microwaving.  The spices and herbs picture didnít have the oregano on the picture, but I forgot to put it on the table before taking the picture.

I tasted Novemberís #2 sauce in both tomatoes products right after everything was mixed and they both tasted good.  I will wait until at least 6 hrs today and again tomorrow to see how they both taste again.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 12:03:19 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 12:04:10 PM »
Norma

Offline Ev

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
Norma,
 For what it's worth, I always run my 6in1s though my blender a bit when I prepare my sauce. ( the neighbor kid doesn't like chunky sauce), and maybe you shouldn't use plastic containers in the microwave?

Offline Ev

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »

Steve,

Well, if you must know,  ??? I was so tried from running my granddaughter around that I fell asleep right after dinner last evening.  You know I told you she broke her hand it that car accident.  I was up for a few hours and then went back to sleep.  If you look at my posts from last evening, you will see there weren't any posts from me.   :-D  :angel:  No posts in the evening is highly unusual for me. 

Norma

Just razzin ya a little. >:D  We're still friends, right? ;)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 01:07:25 PM »
Norma,
 For what it's worth, I always run my 6in1s though my blender a bit when I prepare my sauce. ( the neighbor kid doesn't like chunky sauce), and maybe you shouldn't use plastic containers in the microwave?
Just razzin ya a little. >:D  We're still friends, right? ;)

Steve,

I didnít run my 6-in-1s though the blender or use my stick blender.  I have used the same plastic containers in the microwave many times, if I donít microwave for long.  Donít you think the plastic containers are safe if used in the microwave?

We will always be friends.  :)

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Re: Classico/6-in-1s Tomato Sauces Using Steve's (Ev's) Seasonings Mix
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 01:24:41 PM »
Norma

Classico has canned ground peeled tomatoes, which some have stated are more closely a match to the 6 in 1's. I have a couple of cans (got them at Wally World) which I will open and compare side by side with the 6 in 1's the next time I make pizza.

Offline Ev

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 04:05:27 PM »
Norma,
 A little off topic I guess, but I thought I'd heard somewhere that microwaving plastic could release toxins into the food. I could be mistaken though.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Re: Classico/6-in-1s Tomato Sauces Using Steve's (Ev's) Seasonings Mix
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 06:39:44 PM »
Norma

Classico has canned ground peeled tomatoes, which some have stated are more closely a match to the 6 in 1's. I have a couple of cans (got them at Wally World) which I will open and compare side by side with the 6 in 1's the next time I make pizza.

Dave,

Thanks for posting about Classico  ground tomatoes.  :) I didnít know some have stated they are more closely matched to the 6-in-1ís.  I would appreciate hearing how the Classico canned ground tomatoes taste in a side-by-side with 6-in-1s. I know everyones opinions are different though.  In my own opinion I thought the Classico crushed tomatoes did taste like the 6-in-1s, but then I havenít tried the Classico ground tomatoes.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 06:46:09 PM »
Norma,
 A little off topic I guess, but I thought I'd heard somewhere that microwaving plastic could release toxins into the food. I could be mistaken though.

Steve,

I know some plastics arenít safe in the microwave, but if I remember right, I thought the plastic containers that I am using said they were safe for the microwave.  I appreciate you are looking out for me and will microwave in a glass dish the next time.  :)  I just tasted both sauces and they do taste great in my opinion.  I guess until tomorrow they might change in taste some.  Just by looking at the pictures of both of Novemberís spice & herb mixes with the two products it is hard to see which is which.  They both are the same in texture too.  I wanted to ask you how much water you add to your spice & herb mix before microwaving.

Norma

Offline Ev

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 11:14:42 PM »
Norma,
 I've never measured the water. I doubt it's more than a tablespoon. Just enough to wet everything, but not enough as to have any unabsorbed liquid in the bowl.
 Just for kicks, I'll bring a sample of my sauce tomorrow to compare with yours.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 06:41:56 AM »
Norma,
 I've never measured the water. I doubt it's more than a tablespoon. Just enough to wet everything, but not enough as to have any unabsorbed liquid in the bowl.
 Just for kicks, I'll bring a sample of my sauce tomorrow to compare with yours.

Steve,

I wondered about the water, because I never made Novemberís #2 sauce before, and I thought my first batch was too dry after microwaving, so I mixed up another batch of herbs & spices (with a little more water), and started over again. I probably microwaved on too high of power too.  My microwave is really old and is powerful. I should have talked to you more about your Novemberís sauce before and how you prepared it.  You can see on some of the pictures I posted how much water was left in the paste when I was finished microwaving. 

Great you will bring some of your sauce for kicks to compare to the Novemberís #2 sauces I made with the Classico crushed tomatoes and the 6-in-1ís.  ;D I have a whole box of taste testers tiny little spoons somewhere.  I will see if I can find them this morning for our taste testers. 

If you have an extra can of 6-in-1 could you bring it to market for me to buy for more experiments for next week?  It would save me from trying to try and find more small cans of 6-in-1ís.  I could just weigh out 28 oz. I will bring my extra can of Classico crushed tomatoes for you to try.  I can easily purchase some more of the Classico crushed tomatoes this weekend.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2012, 08:19:57 AM »
The three sauces, (Classico crushed tomatoes, 6-in-1s, with Novemberís recipe for spices & herbs, and Steveís modified Novemberís recipe) where all tasted by my taste testers first plain.  We did blind taste tests.  It was interesting because all but one taste tester could tell the Classico crushed tomatoes with Novemberís #2 sauce recipe was sweeter in taste compared the other two sauces.  Most of the taste testers concluded if the 3 sauces werenít tasted each in succession, they might not be able to tell they were different.  Of course, Steveís sauce was a little finer because he had used the blender for his sauce.  One interesting thing about the taste test was that people thought that Steveís modified Novemberís sauce was stronger in the herb & spice taste.  That was interesting because Steveís sauce didnít contain as much spices & herbs as my two sauces did.  I donít know if it was Steveís brands of spices & herbs he used that caused these taste differences, or if it was because Steveís sauce was in the refrigerator a lot longer than my two sauces.  We kept mixing up the sauces and it was interesting to hear what the test testers said.  Some of them got mixed-up after multiple tasting, even after drinking water between each taste test.

I didnít take any pictures of the three sauces, but they all looked identical in color. 

I only used the Classico crushed tomatoes with Novemberís #2 recipe to dress one pizza.  The pizza I used that sauce for was the bulk fermented pie I had posted about in Johnís (fazzari) thread at Reply 147 and the following posts. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16761.msg165927.html#msg165927 Even after the sauce was baked on the pizza, it could be tasted that the sauce was sweeter, by all our taste testers.

I also only used Steveís modified Novemberís sauce on one pizza.  That was the Power Flour preferment Lehmann dough pizza, at Reply 1112 and the following posts http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg165973.html#msg165973 Steveís sauce tasted better than the Classico crushed tomatoes with Novemberís recipe, when baked on a pizza.  All of the taste testers agreed on that.  We also noted a little more salt taste in the sauce on that pizza, even though the little extra salt taste couldnít be tasted when just tasting the sauce plain.  Donít know what was going on with that.

I didnít have time to try the 6-in-1s sauce with Novemberís recipe baked on a pizza.

If I use the Classico crushed tomatoes again in Novemberís recipe, I would add less sugar. I am not to sure about the salt either, but would think I would add less salt too. 

Now on to trying to duplicate Steveís sauce with the Classico crushed tomatoes.  I donít know if I am going to be able to understand how to do that.  Steve did bring me a big can of 6-in-1s.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2012, 08:22:16 AM »
Steve's modified November's #2 sauce with 6-in-1's.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2012, 12:48:28 PM »
Norma,

Just for future reference, could you not take a full size bag of Steve's spice mix;weigh it,then multiply that total by .267 (very close to 1/4) ? Instead of measuring all the spices individually.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2012, 10:01:52 PM »
Norma,

Just for future reference, could you not take a full size bag of Steve's spice mix;weigh it,then multiply that total by .267 (very close to 1/4) ? Instead of measuring all the spices individually.

Bob

Bob,

I am not sure if someone, including me, could take a full size bag of Steveís spice mix and proceed as you posted.

Norma