Author Topic: Tomato Sauce Tonight  (Read 14302 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Tomato Sauce Tonight
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2010, 07:57:37 PM »
cranky,

I tried the "bosses" tomato sauce today.  I reduced it in a stainless steel pot.  This picture was taken before it was finished reducing.  I then pulsed it in my blender.  It was great!  :)

Thanks,

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline cranky

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2010, 08:26:35 PM »
cranky,

I tried the "bosses" tomato sauce today.  I reduced it in a stainless steel pot.  This picture was taken before it was finished reducing.  I then pulsed it in my blender.  It was great!  :)

Thanks,

Norma

Norma, I am laughing, but glad you liked the sauce.  The Boss says she doesn't exactly remember the recipe.  Close enough I guess.  Tonight we have guests, two young nuns who eat like birds.  They are sticks.  When people come to our house I like to feed them well, stuff them.  Not these two.  I'll do some arm twisting with fresh corn, potatoes, tomatoes and other garden vegies, then cherry pie.   
Cranky

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2010, 09:45:40 PM »
cranky,

LOL, the ďbossĒ doesnít remember the recipe!  That is too funny.  :-D The sauce came out good though.  I guess you will try to fatten up the two young nuns with all your food.  The cherry pie sounds great.  :)

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2010, 10:14:06 PM »
Just wanted to say that Les' sauce is the first sauce that I think improves with time in the fridge.  The main reason for this is that the anise seeds have more time to release their essence.  I'm not a fan of old sauce, but this one works.

Chau

Offline cranky

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2010, 11:25:56 PM »
cranky,

LOL, the ďbossĒ doesnít remember the recipe!  That is too funny.  :-D The sauce came out good though.  I guess you will try to fatten up the two young nuns with all your food.  The cherry pie sounds great.  :)

Norma

Weeeeell, she remembers it pretty close.   The women just left.  They did appreciate the home grown and cooked meal and managed to get through some pie and we appreciated being with them.  They could charm the birds out of the trees.   They sparkle, literally.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2010, 06:40:51 AM »
Weeeeell, she remembers it pretty close.   The women just left.  They did appreciate the home grown and cooked meal and managed to get through some pie and we appreciated being with them.  They could charm the birds out of the trees.   They sparkle, literally.

cranky,

LOL, you are funny.  Tell the "boss" I give her the hat for the sauce.  :chef:  Great to hear your friends could charm the birds out of tree and and they do sparkle.  That is refreshing to hear.  :)

Norma

Offline cranky

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2010, 12:07:47 PM »
cranky,

LOL, you are funny.  Tell the "boss" I give her the hat for the sauce.  :chef:  Great to hear your friends could charm the birds out of tree and and they do sparkle.  That is refreshing to hear.  :)

Norma

Refreshing exactly!  Ever wonder why the people and personalities whose miserable messed up lives "the stars, celebs, politicians" are constantly projected into living rooms while people who genuinely live lives of dignity and nobility, sacrifice and service are ignored?   Society eventually thinks everyone is a mess and gets depressed.   There are more kind people in the world than mean.  I am convinced of it.  This forum is full of them.  Make pizza and share it.  It cheers people up. 

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2010, 01:45:19 PM »
cranky,

I can understand your points of view.  I am also convinced there are more kind people in this world no matter what class they come from.  I agree that this forum is full of kind people and pizza making has brought us together. There are so many people here that are willing to share what they have done and it then helps others.

Happy pizza making and also sauce making to anyone that wants to try.  :)

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2010, 09:23:59 AM »
I tried Lesí recipe for tomato sauce yesterday, but not in combination with the 6 in1 tomato sauce.  I had different varieties of tomatoes from my garden and decided to try and use my regular sauce I use at market, in combination with Lesís method and rest of his recipe.  I used my food processor to coarsely grate the slow oven baked tomatoes with garlic, salt and olive oil.  I found Lesí recipe did also taste great in combination with my regular tomato sauce.  I even ate a whole bowl of the sauce plain. Some day I am going to try something like a regular Walmart brand of crushed tomatoes with Lesís recipe.  I donít know at this at this time, if the sauce will come out as good, but think after I have tried Lesí recipe many times, it could work with an inexpensive tomato sauce.  I used 1 quart of my regular tomato sauce in combination with the tomatoes seen in my baking pan.  I am not sure, but after trying many recipes for tomato sauce, in my opinion the slow bake of the tomatoes with garlic, sea salt, and olive oil and then combining the anise seed and fresh oregano, is what makes this sauce so special.  With using Les' slow bake of tomatoes the taste of the baked tomatoes stays so sweet.

Pictures below of unbaked tomatoes, garlic, sea salt and olive oil.  Baked tomatoes and finished tomato sauce. 

Norma

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2010, 10:22:58 PM »
That is some marvelous looking sauce.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2010, 06:22:59 AM »
That is some marvelous looking sauce.

Tscarborough,

Thanks for saying the tomato sauce was marvelous looking.  :)  I have access to all the major brands of sauces and do use a combination of them with other fresh herbs, at my small market pizza stand, but in my opinion Les's sauce with fresh tomatoes is the best I have ever tried.  The wonderful thing about Les's sauce is you can use any kind of fresh tomatoes to make this sauce and the sweetness of the fresh tomatoes baked in the oven, will still shine though.  I like a lot of garlic baked with the tomatoes and the anise seed really helps this sauce.  Les's sauce on pasta also is the best, IMO.

In the next week I am going to try out Les' method with just regular crushed tomatoes bought from the grocery store, in combination with different fresh tomatoes, and see if Les's sauce also tastes the same.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2010, 10:29:09 AM »
Norma,

If you decide to go with the Wal-Mart brand of crushed tomato, I will be interested in seeing how the results compare with the 6-in-1 tomatoes when using Les' sauce recipe. When I was trying to reverse-engineer and clone the Papa John's pizza sauce, I conducted a similar experiment and concluded that the 6-in-1 version was better. I discussed my results at Reply 30 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6633.msg59208.html#msg59208. In your case, you might find that the anise eradicates or masquerades any shortcomings of the Wal-Mart tomatoes.

Peter

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2010, 06:24:51 PM »
Although they aren't in 6 in 1's league, I have found that the Walmart crushed tomatoes are very good, I have a suspicion that they may be packed by Hunt's, as the two seem identical.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2010, 09:34:08 PM »
Peter,

I really didnít try to clone my pizza sauce I used at market, but I had used the Great Value Crushed Tomatoes along with Great Value Tomato Paste, and found the sauce almost tasted like the sauce I use at market.  I used the Stanislaus tomato products for my sauce at market in combination with the other ingredients posted at the December 2009 Monthly Challenge at Reply #2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9744.msg85554.html#msg85554

I donít know what is going to happen with this experiment using the Great Value Crushed Tomatoes, but after tasting my sauce with Lesís method and fresh tomatoes, I could see the sauce could taste like Lesís recipe when he used 6 in 1 tomatoes.  I will wait and see what happens.

Thanks for the link and how your Papa Johnís clone sauce turned out. 

Norma

dmcavanagh,

I also think the Walmart crushed tomatoes are good, if used in combination with other ingredients.

Norma

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2010, 09:37:40 PM »
I did a half hearted search for Les's recipe, do you have a handy link?

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2010, 09:45:16 PM »
I did a half hearted search for Les's recipe, do you have a handy link?

Tscarborough,

The link is here in my first post on this thread.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11539.msg105665.html#msg105665

Norma

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2010, 10:07:56 PM »
Thank you.  That does look like a tasty recipe.  What is the board rule on bringing back old threads, because I can answer a question Les raised in that thread?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2010, 10:25:44 PM »
What is the board rule on bringing back old threads, because I can answer a question Les raised in that thread?

I would just answer the question in the same thread. It is possible that Les is using the notification feature to let him know that someone has posted in the thread. I saw that he was on the forum recently, so he might get your comments.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2010, 12:36:26 PM »
I made Lesí sweet sauce again this morning, but this time I used the Great Value all natural crushed Tomatoes from Walmart.  In my opinion the Great Value still makes a great sauce with Lesís method and recipe.  I had a decent amount of different varieties of tomatoes from my garden and used two cans of Great Value Crushed Tomatoes.  The Great Value Crushed Tomatoes were a 28 oz. size can.  I usually donít measure anything when making Lesís sauce, because I use different amounts of tomatoes.  I do like a little more garlic, because I like the taste of garlic.  I didnít measure out the anise seed either, but just kept putting it into the mixture, until I thought I liked the taste. 

When I made Lesís tomato sauce before, I had used the 6 in1 tomato sauce and then used my regular sauce I use at market.  Although using the Great Value Crushed Tomatoes did seem to give this sauce a little more tomato flavor, with a little more acid taste, it could have been the varieties of tomatoes I used.  It was still great, in my opinion.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2010, 12:37:58 PM »
rest of pictures

Norma

pizzapan