Author Topic: Tomato Sauce Tonight  (Read 19938 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Tomato Sauce Tonight
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 10:44:35 PM »
Jackie Tran,

I am glad you and your wife liked the sauce, but the credit should go to Les.  He is the one that posted the recipe.  That was a lot of money for the anise seed.  :o I just bought already crushed anise seed at market and I know I didnít pay anything near what you did.  Sorry it was so expensive for you.  I had to laugh when you said you wife really like this sauce about four times.  :-D Thatís interesting that you thought this sauce tasted like you own sauce.  My sauce I use at market tastes a lot different.  I never tried Lesís recipe without fresh oregano, so I donít know how that would taste. 

I you ever get you hands on some just picked tomatoes near you, give them a try in Lesís sauce.

Thanks for posting back with your results,

Norma

scott123

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
I even went out and bought some anise seed at $8/oz.  :o

You should have said something.  My local Italian grocer had a 5.5 oz. bottle of ground anise for $2, and, although it's more anise than I'll use in a lifetime, the price was right so I pulled the trigger.  I would gladly have sent you an ounce.

Offline cranky

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 11:36:18 PM »
You should have said something.  My local Italian grocer had a 5.5 oz. bottle of ground anise for $2, and, although it's more anise than I'll use in a lifetime, the price was right so I pulled the trigger.  I would gladly have sent you an ounce.

I planted anise and it took over the garden.  It grows everywhere.  I harvested a gallon of seeds a couple of years ago and ended up throwing them away.  This year I managed to get it under control some and have only a few plants.  It might be different in your area, but if you scatter a few seeds on some dirt in the spring you will have anise for free.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 11:42:41 PM »
I planted anise and it took over the garden.  It grows everywhere.  I harvested a gallon of seeds a couple of years ago and ended up throwing them away.  This year I managed to get it under control some and have only a few plants.  It might be different in your area, but if you scatter a few seeds on some dirt in the spring you will have anise for free.

cranky,

That's interesting.  Do you know where you buy the anise seeds.  I might get some for next year and then just use my mortar & pestle to grind up the seeds.  I never thought about growing my own seeds.  You sure know your gardening.  ;D

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 12:37:14 AM »
I'll give that idea a try Cranky.  I guess the Universe has a way of balancing itself out.  I also bought 2 lbs of Fleishmans IDY for $4 at Costco yesterday. It's more yeast than I'll ever need. :). Anyone wanna trade some anise seeds for IDY? :)

Offline Ev

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2010, 11:45:11 AM »
I tryed the sauce that Norma highlighted yesterday and used on the sicillian pie that I posted today. I cheated a few items pretty well, so I doubt it's a good rendition of the recipe as written, but it sure was good.
 Since I already had a pint of my standard pizza sauce made with 6in1s on hand, I used this instead of opening a whole new can. Also instead of fresh garlic, I used a heaping teaspoon of minced garlic. Also, since I couldn't find any whole or ground anise seed, I used a couple/few drops of anise extract instead.
 Also, instead of grape tomatoes, i picked a bunch of "Super Marzanos" from the garden, sprinkled them with sea salt and roasted them in the oven at 200 for 2 hours, after which I peeled the skins and pulsed them in my blender. I de-seeded before the roast.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2010, 12:16:04 PM »
Wow Ev. Those tomatoes look FANTASTIC!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, 01:09:10 PM »
Steve,

Thatís great you also like Lesís sauce, even if you did change it some. Your ďSuper ManzanosĒ look great.  :) If you want some anise seed or crushed anise, they sell it at market, if you are going to make this sauce again.

I think if I find the time, I am going to try out cranky's recipe tomorrow.

Norma

Offline Ev

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2010, 04:31:09 PM »
Wow Ev. Those tomatoes look FANTASTIC!

Thanks JT, they are pretty good. If you lived nearby I'd share them. I've got tomatoes out the wazoo right now. Most of them will probably be wasted. I've been so busy working on the WFO that I've been neglecting the garden. Or maybe I'm just lazy like that. :-[

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2010, 05:10:05 PM »
Those are some Magnifico! tomatoes.  You should do what you just did and freeze them.

Offline Ev

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2010, 05:32:21 PM »
You know, maybe I'll just do that. I've got a foodsaver vacuum sealer that would do the trick, I think. Do you think I need to cook them first?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2010, 05:59:37 PM »
I would deseed and salt them at least.

Offline cranky

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2010, 07:42:20 PM »
You know, maybe I'll just do that. I've got a foodsaver vacuum sealer that would do the trick, I think. Do you think I need to cook them first?

All you need to do is drop them in boiling water for a minute or less.  Scoop them out and the skins will slide right off if you squeeze and pinch them a little.  Put them in freezer bags and get all the air out that you can.  You do not need to vacume seal them.  Seal the ziplock top until only a corner is open and suck the rest of the air out with your mouth and zip the rest before air leaks back in.  Or you can kind of push the tomato and a little sauce up in the bag until all the air is out.  Seeds are ok, but I like to get the skins off.  When you use these in the winter rather than commercial canned tomatoes you will be very happy.  They will be better than any expensive imported tomato and when people who pay $5 for a can of tomatoes say it does not pay to have a few plants they need to redo the math, unless they live where the climate does not cooperate.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2010, 07:59:29 PM »
cranky,

Thanks for your advise on freezing the fresh tomatoes.  :)  If I have time tomorrow and enough tomatoes are ripe enough I want to try your tomato sauce.  I picked about 20 different varieties of tomatoes today.  I was wondering if I have a few tomatoes that are still on the vine that are just about ready to be picked, if I place then in a brown paper bag, if you think they will ripen enough, until tomorrow.  I have tried this in the past and had some mixed results. 

Thanks,
Norma

Offline Ev

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2010, 10:15:13 PM »
Cranky.
Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a shot!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2010, 07:57:37 PM »
cranky,

I tried the "bosses" tomato sauce today.  I reduced it in a stainless steel pot.  This picture was taken before it was finished reducing.  I then pulsed it in my blender.  It was great!  :)

Thanks,

Norma

Offline cranky

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2010, 08:26:35 PM »
cranky,

I tried the "bosses" tomato sauce today.  I reduced it in a stainless steel pot.  This picture was taken before it was finished reducing.  I then pulsed it in my blender.  It was great!  :)

Thanks,

Norma

Norma, I am laughing, but glad you liked the sauce.  The Boss says she doesn't exactly remember the recipe.  Close enough I guess.  Tonight we have guests, two young nuns who eat like birds.  They are sticks.  When people come to our house I like to feed them well, stuff them.  Not these two.  I'll do some arm twisting with fresh corn, potatoes, tomatoes and other garden vegies, then cherry pie.   
Cranky

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2010, 09:45:40 PM »
cranky,

LOL, the ďbossĒ doesnít remember the recipe!  That is too funny.  :-D The sauce came out good though.  I guess you will try to fatten up the two young nuns with all your food.  The cherry pie sounds great.  :)

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2010, 10:14:06 PM »
Just wanted to say that Les' sauce is the first sauce that I think improves with time in the fridge.  The main reason for this is that the anise seeds have more time to release their essence.  I'm not a fan of old sauce, but this one works.

Chau

Offline cranky

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2010, 11:25:56 PM »
cranky,

LOL, the ďbossĒ doesnít remember the recipe!  That is too funny.  :-D The sauce came out good though.  I guess you will try to fatten up the two young nuns with all your food.  The cherry pie sounds great.  :)

Norma

Weeeeell, she remembers it pretty close.   The women just left.  They did appreciate the home grown and cooked meal and managed to get through some pie and we appreciated being with them.  They could charm the birds out of the trees.   They sparkle, literally.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2010, 06:40:51 AM »
Weeeeell, she remembers it pretty close.   The women just left.  They did appreciate the home grown and cooked meal and managed to get through some pie and we appreciated being with them.  They could charm the birds out of the trees.   They sparkle, literally.

cranky,

LOL, you are funny.  Tell the "boss" I give her the hat for the sauce.  :chef:  Great to hear your friends could charm the birds out of tree and and they do sparkle.  That is refreshing to hear.  :)

Norma

Offline cranky

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2010, 12:07:47 PM »
cranky,

LOL, you are funny.  Tell the "boss" I give her the hat for the sauce.  :chef:  Great to hear your friends could charm the birds out of tree and and they do sparkle.  That is refreshing to hear.  :)

Norma

Refreshing exactly!  Ever wonder why the people and personalities whose miserable messed up lives "the stars, celebs, politicians" are constantly projected into living rooms while people who genuinely live lives of dignity and nobility, sacrifice and service are ignored?   Society eventually thinks everyone is a mess and gets depressed.   There are more kind people in the world than mean.  I am convinced of it.  This forum is full of them.  Make pizza and share it.  It cheers people up. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2010, 01:45:19 PM »
cranky,

I can understand your points of view.  I am also convinced there are more kind people in this world no matter what class they come from.  I agree that this forum is full of kind people and pizza making has brought us together. There are so many people here that are willing to share what they have done and it then helps others.

Happy pizza making and also sauce making to anyone that wants to try.  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2010, 09:23:59 AM »
I tried Lesí recipe for tomato sauce yesterday, but not in combination with the 6 in1 tomato sauce.  I had different varieties of tomatoes from my garden and decided to try and use my regular sauce I use at market, in combination with Lesís method and rest of his recipe.  I used my food processor to coarsely grate the slow oven baked tomatoes with garlic, salt and olive oil.  I found Lesí recipe did also taste great in combination with my regular tomato sauce.  I even ate a whole bowl of the sauce plain. Some day I am going to try something like a regular Walmart brand of crushed tomatoes with Lesís recipe.  I donít know at this at this time, if the sauce will come out as good, but think after I have tried Lesí recipe many times, it could work with an inexpensive tomato sauce.  I used 1 quart of my regular tomato sauce in combination with the tomatoes seen in my baking pan.  I am not sure, but after trying many recipes for tomato sauce, in my opinion the slow bake of the tomatoes with garlic, sea salt, and olive oil and then combining the anise seed and fresh oregano, is what makes this sauce so special.  With using Les' slow bake of tomatoes the taste of the baked tomatoes stays so sweet.

Pictures below of unbaked tomatoes, garlic, sea salt and olive oil.  Baked tomatoes and finished tomato sauce. 

Norma

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2010, 10:22:58 PM »
That is some marvelous looking sauce.